1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temporary Spare Use and Main Battery Charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by salguod, Jun 16, 2016.

1. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Woke up this morning to a flat LF tire on my 2007 Touring. I threw the temp spare on and drove to Discount TIre to get new shoes. They reasonably priced Bridgestones required ordering, so I drove to work (23 miles or so) with the spare on the LF.

I slowed off my typical highway pace a bit to 60-65, but found the car hunting a bit and jerking with the traction control light flashing. I know the spec that temp spares should be elp to 50 MPH ma, but driving 50 in rush hour traffic is a bit unnerving with most cars buzzing past at 70+.

I've read, however, the threads like this one showing that because the madding traction control that cannot be turned off isn't smart enough to deal with the spare, the car will run poorly on the freeway with the spare on the front. OK, fine, all should be normal once the tires are installed this afternoon.

However, concerned with how it was running, I flipped the info display to show the power flow instead of the bar graphs and found that the battery was down to 2 bars in the purple! By the time I exited the freeway, it was at one bar. But, in the 1-2 miles of slow driving from the freeway to my office, it rose again to one bar short of a full charge. No warning lights on the dash except the flashing traction control (only at freeway speeds) and the tire pressure warning due to the flat.

My 2007 has 178K on it, and the original main battery, so battery issues are an ever present concern. Could my battery woes be related to the temp spare use? It seems like it was, but I've seen nothing else indicating that anyone else has seen this. Perhaps an early sign of battery failure?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could the flat have been repaired? Maybe plug repaired? Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have just looked into that first, stayed off the freeway.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know if uneven tire speed could disable regen braking or something.
    Do you think the spare was up to pressure?

In any case, I don't recall a past post saying temp spare use cause batt probs. Some people say its not good to have temp on the front for safety, but I don't believe the manual says that.

4. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tire was probably patchable, but it was nearly to the wear bars so it is time for new tires anyway.

They checked all the tire pressures before I left Discount Tire.

I checked the manual when I got to work and didn't see anything about not using the spare on the front. I didn't read that carefully, though, maybe it does.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nothing wrong with using the spare in the front if you are going 50 mph. Since you insist on exceeding that speed, you should swap to the rear. It's a lot more nerve racking for me to have the car die in the middle of the road than drive 50 mph in the right lane with my emergency lights on.

6. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I plan on driving back to get the tires put on this afternoon either off the highway or slowly on the highway to see if it makes a difference. I expect it will.

7. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back at the tire store. The drive along surface streets was uneventful, no traction control lights, battery level remained in the blue at 1/2 to 2/3 the entire time.

A little disappointed that simply mounting the factory supplied spare to the front of the car can so cripple its performance, but mostly relieved that there seems to be nothing actually wrong with the car.

8. Greg Grieve

Greg Grieve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have told all my customers to put spair on rear even if flat is on front just for safty. And most donute tires never have 60 psi in them when I am doing a service job.

LGL22C ?