1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temporary Tail Light Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by emmaface, Mar 2, 2016.

1. emmaface

emmaface Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hello, I'm new here, and I wonder if you all could give me some advice.

My 2010 III was hit in a parking lot when I wasn't there, and they didn't leave a note. I'd like to temporarily patch up the tail light until I can get it replaced, since it's not obstructing the actual lights, and isn't in a conspicuous place. The shop I went to quoted over $300 for the light assembly - I've already researched online and I'd rather buy an aftermarket one for about $130 and just have them install it, but it'll still have to wait a bit.

My question is, what's the best way to do this? Is there an epoxy or something I can use to reattach the piece I have, then use lens tape to cover the small hole that's still exposed? What are the best brands I could use to do this, that will keep it reasonably secure for a while?

Not sure why these are coming out rotated, but you get the idea. The missing piece fits perfectly back into place, and there's just a bit at the bottom left open.
    0301161525b.jpg 0301161527a.jpg

Thanks in advance!

2. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, for sure. I'd use a 2-part, clear-dry epoxy. Gorilla makes a good, 5-minute set version available at HD, Walmart, etc. I'd apply the epoxy all the way around the long strip edge and set it right into place, immediately wiping away any excess for a clean look. Then I'd actually layer (giving a reasonable set time between applications) to fill the remaining hole and both avoid lens tape and hopefully end up with a weatherproof repair. By the looks of the break, I wouldn't be surprised if the repair might actually look quite acceptable.

Then, if you still want to replace it, I'd take my time sourcing a used OEM tail and avoid the fit issues often incurred with aftermarket which can result in water leaking into the hatch interior. The Gen 3 Accessories and Mods forum right here would be a great place to put out feelers, but eBay or local salvage yards would certainly work.

Sucks the way it happened but might actually be a fun little project.

3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. emmaface

emmaface Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks, I really appreciate your detailed reply! I'll definitely give that Gorilla stuff a try. I didn't know water leaks could be an issue with an aftermarket replacement... I'll have to reconsider that.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You'd have water leaks with OEM occasionally, let alone aftermarket. Yup, I'd Gorilla glue that thing together and it may look decent enough to not have to replace.