1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tensioner Pulley Release bolt broken.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yayprius, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mentioned that 3/4" drive earlier and seemed unsure. A 3/4" ratchet or breaker bar is not commonly in a Craftsman set of tools, even ones with over 400 pieces. Generally, they come with 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" socket sets. Unless you got a stand alone 3/4" drive set, you probably have a 1/2" drive, which is plenty beefy for any automotive use, I can think of.

I lived on a small island for nine years, and it seemed like all I did was fight rust. I wish you well. Patience and persistence are big helps. Neither is easy outside in the cold.

yayprius likes this.
  2. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yeah Jerry, its half. But it doesn't work for me. Gonna head to the hardwear store and put together the breaker.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Okay. I took the headlight out, tons of space now, plus better pics.

I took the nut off the tensioner pulley then clipped the belt, the tensioner isn't budging from there, little wiggly but no real play. Then took the pulley off the waterpump and stopped there.

Am I missing a step to remove the tensioner pulley or is it just that the snapped bolt is the missing key?

I couldn't get a great shot of the tensioner bolt as what remains sits in there but there'ren't too many threads exposed . 20180325_172130.jpg

20180325_165659.jpg

4. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I bought a 3peice set of craftsman flex bars from sears online on sale for 20 that did the job. Good deals to be had there too if intrested.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you notice in my post #11 above, that I provided a link to a thread that I started a few years ago. Within that thread I posted several photos. Look at the very last photo which shows what the engine looks like with the tensioner pulley, coolant pump and thermostat removed.

Compare that photo to your situation. Can you pull off the pulley now that the nut was removed?

If not, can you drill a hole into the bolt shaft that remained after the top part of it snapped off, and use an easy out to remove the remaining piece of that bolt, without damaging the threads that the bolt screwed into? You may need to use penetrating oil to help get through the rust in the threads.

Thanks also for the photo which shows the snapped bolt was extremely rusty.

#25 Patrick Wong, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tensioner pulley is just stuck to the bolt. Once you get that off rest of tensioner should have enough room to be removed.

Just wedge a screwdriver behind the pulley. If you can get it in far enough you’re pushing from the inner race of bearing and there’s no change of damaging anything.
    If you can’t, just force the pulley out. If bearing is damaged just get a new tensioner pulley.

SFO, M in KC and jerrymildred like this.
  7. In idler pulley hell

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Help! I have been googling about my daughter’s Prius noise and I found this chat. I told the mechanic that it’s the water pump and sure enough, the bearing are worn out. Thanks for that. So I bought a new water pump to replace. Now here’s where the living hell has started. The person we bought the car from took it for a time up days before selling it to us. Within days it sounded like a child’s Barbie Jeep whining down the road. Lol. I think here’s why. The bolt that the guy above is talking about is totally missing. But! The belt is still on there and very very tight. I think the guy who did the tune up cut the old belt, and moved the pulley assembly in a position and put a smaller belt on and turned the bolt on the side of the pulley until the belt was super tight. He “jerry rigged” it instead of just getting the missing bolt to do it correctly with correct size belt. And that’s why I think the water pump is screaming and shot. Based off all the chats and google searches. Lol.
    So, I need to know if y’all agree and what I should do. Should I just cut the tight belt off and get the correct size belt and get the missing bolt? If so, what in the cornbread hell is the part number for that bolt???? I cannot find it anywhere and the Toyota place is closed for the holiday. I need it today.
    Or, do I need to also replace the whole idler assembly, belt and the water pump and coolant?

8. In idler pulley hell

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can’t find a part number for this missing bolt.
    Or the right part number for the whole assembly.

Attached Files:

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    16630-21020. See my post 11 above which had a link to another thread which explains how to remove the serpentine belt.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.