1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tensions concerning charging stations.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Andyprius1, Dec 1, 2013.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya Hill but the reality of the situation is that it's first come first serve. Why should I, a Volt owner, or a PIP owner be bullied into not using a charging station because an EV owner might come a long and need a station. Part of your purchasing decision should be based on never requiring a charger other than the one at your house. To assume otherwise just opens you up to risk. It's not my fault someone bought a car with a limited range. I'm not going to feel guilty about using a charging station whenever possible, assuming common courtesy. If someone is in dire need of a charge I'm more than willing to accommodate but don't get pissed off at me because you don't have a backup plan (ICE) like I do.

This is no longer the happy go lucky community of first adopters. It's back to the real world and it's a dog eat dog one. :)

2. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How funny. I've charged at that Mitsubishi location on the way back to Long Beach and have seen that exact vehicle.
    The security guard said I could not leave my vehicle because that Volt owner had caused such a problem.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The warnings about "too little, too slowly" were not understood and were often dismissed with an "early adopter" excuse. That isn't happening anymore. I like this new chapter. Seeking out cooperation across automakers is becoming realistic. Those seeking out solutions using electricity now recognize the real threat is traditional vehicles, not other plug-in vehicles.

It was rough initially. Back when we were in the "only for green" phase, it was easy enough to just argue against plugs using talking points without any merit. But now that 3 years have passed, there's real-world data shaking out the unrealistic from the practical. Some feel threatened, since they see the change coming. They fear the inevitable and lash out.

We've seen a plug-in owner get arrested for plugging in using an outlet without explicit permission, even though that's a very common occurrence with cell-phones. Now we see someone has intentionally destroyed a charger-cord. Meanwhile, former quarreling parties are now trying to work out how to handle demand at the plug. Those are all examples of a turning point having been reached.

The choice of plugging in isn't anywhere near as simple as had been portrayed. Competition will be much more intense. Look no further than the computer market for a parallel. Remember back in the days when a system's worth could be evaluated primarily upon processor-speed? Now, there are far more configurations available and measuring performance varies dramatically upon need. We're seeing similar emerge with plug-in vehicle choices.

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The plug in police are watching!!!

DBCassidy

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid