1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TEQ center caps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mysta2, Oct 22, 2015.

1. mysta2

mysta2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello folks.

Having removed my touring wheel covers a long time ago, I had always planned on putting some kind of center cap in there. What I really wanted was a TEQ badge for it, and I figured I would have to model it up and machine it myself. This is what I do for a living, but it is still a lot of work, so I put it off.

Well, the other day I was finally getting around to taking some measurements and starting my model when it occurred to me that maybe I wasn't the first to come up with this idea. A little searching on line and I found there was a model on Shapeways that I could just buy. I ordered four printed in "black and flexible" for $12.88 each (a little pricey for sure, but almost exactly what I wanted) Crossing my fingers that they would fit, since the original designer made them for his FRS, I waited for my parts. They fit perfectly.

Another project that I had in mind was to replace the badges of the car with like TEQ badges. I looked for these online as well, but with no luck. There were plenty graphics, but no 3D work. So I did have to model them. The original logo was round, so I had to play with it a bit to fit it into the sombreros ellipse.

You can see from the attached pics that the ring is a bit thin as compared to the original sombrero. Because of this, it doesn't quite cover the alignment holes in the rear panel. I may have to re-model this one.

I matched the wheel color with the paints we have on hand (didn't do a spectacular job as you can see from the installed pic) With the parts primed, sanded, painted, and clear coated, they are ready to install. The center caps are on already.

The badges are both printed the same, and I was hoping to get away with this even though the hood sombrero is actually a little smaller than the rear one. I am still hopeful that the squish of the mounting tape will allow the front one to fit properly. But now looking at de-badging pics on this forum and seeing that the hood has similar alignment holes as the tail panel, I'm less hopeful. I may have to remodel the part and make the ring thicker to cover the holes and maybe play with the placement of the letters to cover the other hole.

I'm not concerned with the back panel as much as I previously had the whole panel sticker bombed and plan to do the same again thereby covering any holes.

If anyone thinks they might be interested in the TEQ badges I made I think I can put them up "for sale" on Shapeways (post any needed redesign), I've never done that before so I might have to work through it.

Kit

Oh, the picture of the badges in black shows how the parts look when they show up. The wheel caps looked just like that too. If you want them smooth, you will have to prime, sand and paint them.

Attached Files:

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow nice work, very cool! :)(y)
    What are you thinking of price on the emblems? Any pictures of them installed?

3. mysta2

mysta2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Shapeways charged me $18.46 for each of my badges. I have no idea how their system works, if it's like some of the T shirt places I would just pick a markup price and they might just add that to the cost. I'd probably have to add a couple of bucks, to make it around $21. According to their site I would have to start a "store" and I don't know if there are costs associated with that or not, but that might figure in as well.

The wheel center caps are available now though $12.88 each. I did not model these, they were done by someone on there named Moltoleggero. I just bought a set and can vouch that they do fit second gen touring alloys.

From the detail pic you can see that the curve of the tail panel badge needs some tuning still. TEQ badge 2.0 coming soon. Also you can see the size discrepancy against the front sombrero badge.

Attached Files:

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    VERY COOL, I would think these would sell well. I have the C, so not sure if you start selling, if you would make them for other models?

5. mysta2

mysta2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Depends on the price structure Shapeways has. I don't think it would be all that hard to modify the model to fit differing sizes and curves. But if Shapeways wants to charge me for posting each one it wouldn't make sense. I'll look into it.

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    definitely nice touring wheel mod. seems to me Toyota should have just put those on all of em instead of screwing us with those sucky looking 15"s. I almost never even see touring wheels in the DC area.

7. Kirk taylor

Kirk taylor New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey people

Does anybody know if these are still being sold?

Thanks