1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Terrible Fuel Tank Capacity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jta98z, Jan 14, 2018.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See post #8....anything is possible.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, just fill it and drive it. Also possible the rubber bladder becomes less pliable with age, but have no historical basis for that.

Most of my fill ups are around 7 gallons. The most I've ever been able to get in at one time was about 9.5 gallons (using auto shut off) after running completely out of gas (bone dry on a level surface), highly doubtful I could've forced another 2+ gallons in there.. and I didn't, and wouldn't.

Parroting here: "Never top off the tank, or bad things may happen."

Once I was certain something bad happened when a "gas jockey" potentially overfilled my tank in the beautiful state of Oregon- but he never did and the tank still works (after that fill up, we traveled 140 miles without losing a pip.. which had me worried)

Personally I've never seen either of the following MFD messages before, and would never take a chance on them actually displaying or not : [...that once the last bar starts to flash I have at least 50 miles left before the "add fuel message" comes on. Then you have quite a few miles before you get the "add fuel soon" message.].

How many miles of this vehicle?

What is your normal and current MPG? (and how do you measure these)

There was a long since past TSB EL010-04 issued for the 2004, and may apply to your vehicle. You can check if this was taken care by looking on Toyota Owners Official Web Site and logging in with your VIN.

Not sure how true the above statement is, "Not something that can be adjusted.", but if you're willing to take one for the team then try the old 'reset inclination sensor' trick (per the above mentioned TSB), which may (or not) fix your gas gauge problem.

Step by step and TSB PDF below:

I've combined/edited a couple of rick57's posts (Thanks rick57!!) to hopefully make the procedure easier to follow, or you can skip down to the TSB instructions (linked below).

from rick57 over on the old site:

Here is the steps from the TSB and only applies to the 2G.

1. Park the vehicle so as it is level,front to back and side to side.
    2. IgOn and make sure that "Trip A " is showing on the odo.
    3. Power down.
    4. Keep your foot off the brake.
    5. Push in and hold down the Odo/Trip button.
    6. Push the Power button twice to IgOn ( not Ready mode ).
    7. Turn the Odo/Trip off then On 3 times in 5 seconds. (Should be holding the button in at this point)
    8. Continue holding the Odo/Trip button until a 6 digit code appears.
    9. Release,then push again the Odo/Trip button for another 5 seconds. The 6 digit code will change to a 5 digit code.
    10. After the middle digit,of the 5 digit code,changes to "1" release the Odo/Trip button and the odometer will return to normal reading.

Hope this clarifies the steps.

Germain Toyota
    Columbus, Ohio​

Here is a PDF of TSB EL010-04

Step by step instructions start from the bottom of page 5 through page 6:

http://www.vfaq.net/docs/TSBs/EL010-04.pdf

wjtracy and PA Prius like this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2008 only too 10 gallons once in the ten years I owned it. I was on a trip and traveled 498 miles on that tank.
    I may have put 9 gallons in it once or twice and usually between 6.5 and 8.5 the lower in the winter.
    I like my new gas tank and gauge. lol