1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Terrible OEM cabin filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by our1vue, Apr 1, 2013.

1. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My prius just turned 20K and I was changing the engine air and cabin filter. I got both toyota brand filters from the dealer when I bought the car. The new engine air filter looked like what was in there. But the cabin filter was completely different. There was far fewer pleats in the filter and the pleats that were there you could see though. It looked like the pleats would rip of they were touched. Did toyota change there cabin filter design to allow more air flow but less filtration ? Is there an upscale filter that comes with the car, but unless you ask for it, you get this cheap one ? If this is what toyota is selling now, does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality cabin filter ?
    Thanks for any help.

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Visit amazon or rockauto or any auto parts store and you'll find probably half a dozen brands in both plain and charcoal filters.

Fostel likes this.
  3. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was surprised that there was such a drastic change between what was in the car vs what the dealer sold you to replace it. I wondered if they gave me the wrong filter. Our local advanced auto had cabin filter that looked a lot better. I was just curious what other people were using if they wanted to stay with Toyota filters.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used a fram, it was okay.

5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You can compare the Toyota original filter with the Fram in the picture. Both were taken off after the same period of use. The Toyota has more pleats and more filter area but at higher price than the Fram. I am on my second Fram filter now and it works fine. The dark colour on the Fram is charcoal, not dirt. The gaps on the Fram are wider so the dirts are more visible (and it was doing its job to trap it.) Judge for yourself.

Attached Files:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's amazing how much junk those things trap. to think we used to breathe all that. of course, i drive with the window down all summer.:oops:

7. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Why do you think your nose hair can do a better job than the filter when you drive with the window down. :)

WilDavis and bisco like this.
  8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No! But I bet He gets the big stuff. :ROFLMAO:

bisco and DadofHedgehog like this.
  9. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So what is the part number of the filter that comes with the car ? The 87139-YZZ08 looks like it has the same number of pleats as the fram (but the pleat material of the toyota looks pretty thin). Seems weird that you can not buy the filter that comes with the car.
    Toyolover, thanks for the picture. The fram looks like it has better filter material than the toyota one I bought. Looks like there is a fram in my future.

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I stopped by my dealer about a week ago, and they offered a choice of 3 filters; the cheap one you were offered for about $24 that looks about as good at filtering air as a section of chicken wire, the original replacement one that the car came with for about $40, and a better one with an activated carbon filter for something like $55 or so.

OR, you can get the FRAM one for $14.

11. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, you get what you paid for, the cheaper the material, the more you'll change it once it looks dirty. I rather go for quality over quantity because I won't have to worry about air flow problem. The cheaper FRAM cabin air filter is made up of cheap quality material than the OEM one, hence the FRAM cabin air filter looks more dirtier and restrict more air flow going through your cabin box. The OEM looks to be cleaner and looks as if air flow isn't clogged by all the dirt like the FRAM cabin air filter.

All in all, I'm just stating this, if you want to buy a cheap FRAM cabin air filter, you get what you paid for.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have no particular preference for or against FRAM - but, other than OEM, got any favorites? I refuse to believe that the "good" OEM filters cost anywhere near to $40 or $55 to manufacture, and that's more than I'm willing to spend on something for the sole purpose of not needing to research a good third-party alternative. (On the other hand, the OEM engine air filter was $18, and the OEM oil filter was $5, both cheap enough that I don't feel obligated to find an alternative.)

And for what it's worth, reviews on the FRAM are generally very positive in terms of quality - though they do note that there are fewer pleats (which, assuming the filter is about the same porosity as the OEM one, will probably reduce the A/C air output imperceptibly, since it's harder for the air to flow through).

13. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, guys, I posted this in the GEN II forum back in February, regarding WIX cabin filters from NAPA:
    NAPA filters -- New Quality Concern? | PriusChat

I know it is gen II, but from the photos here, the GEN III looks amazingly the same, indeed, it probably is.

I paid $8 and change for the NAPA/WIX filter. I could have upgraded to a NAPA Silver for a couple of bucks more (also WIX) or a NAPA Gold/Wix for another few dollars more, but nowhere near the $40 -- or even $20 mark.

IMHO, as mentioned, I drive with the windows down most of the time anyway, while the cabin filter is "nice," I don't need the Rothschild version.

UPDATE::::Just checked NAPA, the GEN III is actually different than the GEN II and the Gold is a buck or so cheaper -- around $14....

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Doug E B

Doug E B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if K & N makes a cabin filter??

16. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I doubt it.

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The YZZ08 filters sold by the dealer are a cheaper knockoff compared to the OE one.

Wix sells a carbon filter for the IS250 that is very similar to the factory-installed filter, but only costs about $14.

Fostel likes this.
  18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Attached is a picture of the Wix 24511 filter. It is very similar to the factory-installed carbon filter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365569161.431101.jpg

iPhone ?

Attached Files:

19. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A K&N Cabin filter????
    Yukkk.
    I mean Yummy! If you oiled it up with some Precious Virgin Mojo Oils from across the seas !!!

I have read that the carbon/charcoal activated crystals are only effective for a short while at removing odors.
    They get saturated.
    Then you are back to just a normal filter.

20. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Any pics on how to remove and replace on a Gen 3?