1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Terrible rattle and dash lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RyannKara, Jan 23, 2019.

1. RyannKara

RyannKara New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have a 2007 prius, and she was amazing. Then one day all her dash lights came on and said "problem!" On the dash. I got scared, but the lights shut off when I turned her back on the following day. This happened on and off again, maybe happened 4 times, with 2-4 weeks in between. Then one day on the way to work, she had all the lights come back on, and stopped accelerating immediately and died on the side of the road. She would turn on, go into gear but wouldn't move. She got towed because I was too broke to afford a tow truck, so I got her out, she started and had all the lights on, and actually drove for 2 minutes. Just enough for me to park her outside the impound while waiting for AAA. When I turned her on in the impound lot, she had a TERRIBLE rattling/knocking sound under the hood. Now I don't turn her on, but every time I have tried, she rattles like no other. No accidents, or mechanical problems previously. Any idea on what could be going on? Thank you

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s either one of these 2 issues:

The engine ran out of motor oil because it has high miles and eats motor oil llike many g2s and you never check it. Did you open the hood and check the engine oil level before posting here?

Or it has a bad cop coil on plug igniter. This is what fires the spark plug. When it fails the engine will misfire and log a misfire code and make a very disturbing rattling noise.

Check the oil on the dipstick if dry engine is toast. If oil ok get the dash lights decoded via obd reader
    And see if it’s throwing a misfire code. There are 4 cops one for each cylinder. Oem there $80 each.

Good luck hope it’s a misfire.

RyannKara likes this.
  3. RyannKara

RyannKara New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, the oils good, we just changed it maybe a week before this happens. My next step is to buy a code reader, thank you so much!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get tech stream

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A good code reader is the VXDIAG powered by techstream amazon.com $77.
    Works with a laptop.

Full hybrid decode,