1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” sees pedestrian, chooses not to slow down

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Trollbait, May 18, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” sees pedestrian, chooses not to slow down | Ars Technica

"Tesla released a new version of its controversial "Full Self-Driving Beta" software last month. Among the updates in version 11.4 are new algorithms determining the car's behavior around pedestrians. But alarmingly, a video posted to Twitter over the weekend shows that although the Tesla system can see pedestrians crossing the road, a Tesla can choose not to stop or even slow down as it drives past."

Seems Tesla still thinks rolling stops, and other behaviors some human drivers do, are just fine for their Level 2 system ADAS.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m curious if this twitter video was posted by the same fellow that posted the Teslas hitting ‘kids’.
    Also the same guy that competes with Tesla.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's even worse than that!

It looks like the human driver made no attempt to correct or override the car's error.

...and then went on social media to brag about getting away with it??

Might be enough internet for the day.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "The video was posted by the Whole Mars Catalog account, a high-profile pro-Tesla account with more than 300,000 followers."
    First line of second paragraph.
    The tweet,

This is the one that made the video with the kid dummies.
    https://dawnproject.com/

edit: "part 24 hour EV news channel / part shitty stand up comedy routine" - twitter self description

Maybe the post is satire, but the "it is better than a human driver, so is okay to break the law" comments to the Arstechnica article have me doubting that.

#4 Trollbait, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do rolling stop signs in familiar territory wher you can easily see both ways. but i always stop even if a pedestrian is waiting at the sidewalk to cross, unless i don't notice them

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about his area/county/state but I was taught that if there's a pedestrian on the crosswalk, you stop even if they were on the other side of the road. And you don't move until they've completely stepped onto the pavement/sidewalk (in case they change their minds and I've had pedestrians turn around and walk back before). The car should've stopped if it was safe to do so. Only if there was a high likelihood of a collision (i.e. the car behind was tailgating), should the car not stop and proceed through.

You can't justify AI behaviour based on human behaviour; that literally goes against what they've been advocating for - that it's safer than a human. Right now, it seems like it's the same (at least in this one very specific scenario).

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's good that the car detected the pedestrian, but from looking at the dash display it did NOT detect the crosswalk, which would be essential for this thing to realize that the pedestrian had the right of way.

How did Tesla let it get this far along without crosswalk comprehension factoring into its understanding of traffic?

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Detecting doesn't mean would have applied the brakes if needed.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they need to be reminded of that Volvo XC90 incident?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crosswalk detection will also need to understand that pedestrians also have right-of-way at unmarked crosswalks too. The zebra stripes are not a required element of a legal crosswalk, at least in the states where I have been licensed.

On top of that, even when the other party lacks right-of-way, drivers still have a legal duty to take all reasonable measures to avoid collision. One of my siblings avoided a citation for her initial fault in a collision for that very reason. When she realized her error, she immediately halted. The other driver, who had right-of-way, but plenty of opportunity to avoid the crash, instead accelerated into her.

#10 fuzzy1, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The last five days, I drove ~1,000 miles on Full Self Driving (FSD) and Autopilot. The problems that forced me to 'take over:'
    • Wrong lane choice - coming up on a left or right turn intersection, it would lane change to the wrong lane and then try to force itself back at the intersection.
    • Left turns - don't trust it as it can get confused by some dashed lines and try to go catty wompus.
    • Google Map errors - former construction zones scanned by the Google cars can lead to terrible routing, phantom braking, wrong speeds, and ugly lane wandering. That Tesla let's Google Map override sensible driving ... UGH!
    • On ramp merging traffic the car did not change lane to let them on,
    Very few pedestrians around but in Las Vegas, it did move to the far side of the lane to keep distance from a pedestrian on the curb.

Bob Wilson

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That needs to be corrected. It was an Uber robot car that just happened to be a Volvo. In installing their auto driving system, they had turned off Volvo's safety systems.

In no way excuses Uber's guilt, but the street planners also have some blame in the incident.