1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla:1 - Auto Dealerships: Zero

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Sep 16, 2014.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Precedence or not - I'm thinking in a different light. One of my law professors was a state supreme court clerk in his early days. One day he told those of us in his class, that it was common for the justice he worked for, to tell his clerks how he wanted to rule on any given decision. The justice would simply tell the clerk(s) to go write 'his' decision - based on what the law is - and work it so it falls in line the way he wanted to decision to go.
    In Teslas' case, it wouldn't surprise me to find out there's a back story. Imagine for example, the justices knowing that the REAL reason auto dealerships wanted to bring suit, would be to stop/slow Tesla's progress into the high end markets. If Tesla could be forced to build a network of dealerships - that could effectively burden Tesla (time & money wise) enough to keep them from coming to market in their area. The dealerships' success would mean they get to sell their high end gas burners - free of the worry of their market being threatened. A supreme court COULD find for or against - based on the law presented ... but the decision COULD be based on good ol' fairness. Just a thought.

2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think you are overcomplicating things. Every direct sale Tesla makes is a lost sale for the local dealer & he doesn't like losing sales. So he sued. In several states it paid-off since Tesla had to close its stores & the dealer was happy.

This isn't the first time in American history that an established business sued a new upstart in order to stop additional competition. Humans, like animals, feel the instinct to protect their turf.