1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla Catches on Fire After Collision (Speed possibly a factor)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Dxta, Mar 31, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Now dead.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same things happen in econoboxes.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    #44 hill, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Econoboxes don't do 112. Tesla does it easily, and it probably feels about like most cars at 70.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard the same quote about OSHA regs.

In any case; the point that needs clarification is the mechanical release on various Tesla vehicles. The Model 3 (the recently released "affordable" one) has mechanical door releases for the front doors only (which is what Sandy Munro noted in his evaluation, apart from criticizing it as being built like a 90s Kia). The Model S (older sedan, first released 2012) has mechanical door releases on all 4 doors - the electronic release engages when the handle is tilted out a little, the mechanical engages when tilting out the door release handle almost fully (at least that is how it operates in our Model S, they may have revised it since). I haven't read the details about either crash so I really don't know what cars were involved.

I'm smirking a little because I'm just waiting for the personal attacks to pile in about that 90s Kia bit.

Man, you seem really really emotionally invested in this.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    an econobox into a bridge abutment has the same effect, with likely less protection.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there new terms affluenza. at least they didn't take any innocents with them, as many do.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Nothin wrong with countering disinformation. When all of the brouhaha started with the GenII Prius - & its alleged unintended acceleration, I made the same stink.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new one today, 'tesla crashes into rear of stopped fire department pick up truck at 60 mph'.
    you'd think there weren't any other car crashes in the country.

11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The rest might be “fake news”:cool:.

12. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like a large part of this is due to all the (super-smug) hype that they had surrounding Autopiliot and their ability to operate autonomously. I mean; I can't be the only one who repeatedly heard phrases like "safest car ever tested". It's a bit of a reply (to put it bluntly): "yeah, your car drives itself, and look where it got you. (dead)".

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From my local news: Tesla with Autopilot slams into truck stopped at red light | KOMO

Crash was in South Jordan, Utah, Friday night. Tesla driver got a broken ankle, fire truck driver didn't need treatment. Unknown if Autopilot was engaged, a lot of detail will remain unknown until Monday.

#53 fuzzy1, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just drove by the 101/85 left exit. Shiny new barrier. Ready for the next Tesla :eek:

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard 'safest car ever' as a reference to its crash test results, not as a reference to Autopilot.

The Tesla driver (possibly on Autopilot, details not yet released) that rear-end a stopped firetruck in Utah last night appears to have received only a broken ankle. Not bad for a 60 mph crash into a much heavier stationary target.

#55 fuzzy1, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Zythryn likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The insurance Institute keeps/logs death stats - multi & solo car fatalities
    Driver death rates
    but their matrix excludes Tesla apparently. They log cars by years on the road, rather than by billion(s) miles.
    That website surprisingly had Hyundai as high on the list for fatalities.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks for linking to this data source.

A note of caution on using this to pick out a 'safer' car: the tables give "Overall death rate (with confidence limits)" [emphasis addded]. Among the safest apparent models listed here for the 2014 update, absolutely nothing has confidence limits narrow enough to definitively claim to be safer than average. I.e., all the safer looking cars still have confidence intervals (similar to 'margin of error' in opinion polls) that overlap Average. This is not true of the most dangerous models, plenty have confidences entirely worse than Average, no overlap.

Backing up to previous update, 2011, four models are solidly safer than average -- Crown Vic, Accord, TSX, and VW CC. The Prius is right at the hairy edge, with its upper confidence limit exactly at Average. A single tick better would have put it into this Safer group.

Also looking back at past updates, 2014 marks the only one of the five updates this century where the industry's Average death rate did not improve over the previous edition. It actually got slightly worse, though still with an overlapping confidence limit. But this matches up with separate observations that overall motor vehicle deaths have been climbing over the past few years. I didn't dig into the previous century updates due to their different presentation.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't account for driver behavior, so i prefer crash testing and safety tech.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but my point is that there's a ton of (kind of unsubstantiated) hype out there, and that kind of thing proverbially catches up with you.

An interesting piece I read a few days ago noted that the pedestrian death rate has absolutely skyrocketed (the number 43% for some reason sticks in my mind), and there reason to believe that this is driven by widespread consumer adoption of SUVs.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was predicable when Congress passed "Bell The Hybrid Act."

"While all passenger vehicle types (cars, sport utility vehicles, pickups, and vans) are involved in backover fatalities and injuries, the data indicate that backover fatality numbers show pickup trucks (72 of 288) and utility vehicles (68 of 228) to be overrepresented when compared to all non-backing traffic injury crashes and to their proportion to the passenger vehicle fleet." (pp. 6)
    Bob Wilson