1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla chooses Nevada for its Gigafactory

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My theory is that as car companies adopt Tesla's patents into their vehicles, they'll probably use whatever standards Tesla sets for their batteries, which will mean more demand for the batteries. Hopefully this means there's one standardized battery design which should reduce costs and simplify designs, which will ultimately mean more and more cars become less reliant solely on gas. And as people buy them, charging stations should become more plentiful, along with faster charging times to the point that charging an ev may only take as long as getting a tank of gas.

Regarding Toyota and their FCV, while I think they're trying to future-proof themselves, I don't believe fuel cell vehicles will be viable for at least another 20 years at best short of a groundbreaking discovery before then, due to the fact that there is no hydrogen station infrastructure like there's one for electricity and gas stations. They'll probably reluctantly work on electric cars, though most likely kicking and screaming, and continue to come out with more plug-in vehicles, especially if other car manufacturers hit it big with their plug-ins. But this also means they won't be a leader anymore, and will instead be trying to jump on the bandwagon, much like how other carmakers are trying to get a "prius-like" vehicle as far as mpg and reliability but are still falling short.

Trollbait likes this.