1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla disputes and class action suits vs forced arbitration

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by fuzzy1, Dec 23, 2022.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While numerous multi-customer disputes with most car makers can be litigated through class action lawsuits, Tesla's direct sales model allows it to include a contract clause that forces arbitration instead. And confidentiality can help keep a lot of disputes out of the news:

Seattle Times: Tesla’s direct sales model helps it thwart customer lawsuits
    (also at: Tesla’s Direct Sales Model Helps It Thwart Customer Lawsuits - The New York Times)

Apparently there is a way out, for customers who notice soon enough:

"Tesla buyers can opt out of arbitration, and preserve their right to a trial, by sending a letter to the company within a month of buying a car. But few are aware of or exercise that option, plaintiff’s lawyers said."

Do many Tesla buyers in this forum, exercise this opt-out?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wasn't aware of it but probably would not have exercised it. The lawyer contingency fee bothers me.

Bob Wilson

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Putting on my lawyer hat, easy enough to get around this. You have another buy & register the car if we're presuming you think it may be unreliable. Then, you pay the straw man & purchase it from hin. No signatures necessary from 2nd owner - and you still have virtually the whole new warranty!