1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla employees going on 2,700 mile road trip from LA to Detroit

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by cwerdna, Dec 13, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tesla employees going on 2,700 mile road trip from LA to Detroit - Autoblog
    After delivering some 900 Tesla Roadsters, over a dozen employees are taking one on a road trip. Tesla will be back at the Detroit Auto Show next month and this time they're driving there. On Thursday, December 17, 16 Tesla employees will depart from Los Angeles and head across the Southeast toward Texas and then north east to Chicago and Detroit.

While the the 2,700 mile trip could be completed in a few days in conventional car, it will take two and a half weeks for the Roadster. According to Tesla's announcement, " We are out to prove the Roadster is tough and durable, and that range anxiety is for the weak." While the Roadster may be durable, part of the reason the trip is taking so long is the need to stop and spend several hours recharging every couple of hundred miles. Of course Telsa staff will be using those charging opportunities to show off the car and drum up a few sales.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't hurt to add a the first paragraph from the link, you know ;)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're coming through my hometown during the New Year's break. I'm certainly hoping to hook up with the gang here, and maybe snag a test ride.

Autogreenblog has posted a pretty critical commentary on this demo. They're spending 2.5 weeks (~150 miles/day on average) doing a drive a conventional car could do in a couple days. While I applaud them for taking it on during the winter, I'm not sure that'll give the proof of reliability they're looking for. And a negative publicity spin could sure result from the limited daily driving distances they'll be going.

Still, any press is good press, right?

1 person likes this.
  4. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing like highlighting the shortcomings of your product, and then proving them. I can imagine having one pure EV and one Hybrid some day, but all EV seems like a very distant prospect. We could use an EV much of the time, but not all. Even if our infrastructure provides 'charging stations' everywhere, having to wait to recharge would be quite an adjustment in our culture.

5. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think it's highlighting it's shortcomings. It's a tour which means there are going to stop for days at a time to show the car. If they had a quick charger every 200 miles or so they could pull it off in a couple of days. I am sure any hotel along the route would let them install a quick charger for the free publicity and a boon for business. I believe the tesla quick charger takes 45 minutes to recharge.

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just saw this on the Channel 4 News (Southern Cal). They said "Tesla is out to show Americans that electric cars can make it across the country too."

(trivia: is this the first time someone has gone across America entirely on EV?)

Upon doing further news research, I found out the event's primary purpose was to kick off the opening of a new dealer in FL. However, when the media heard about it, Tesla said "We're out to show Americans that electric cars can make it across the country too."

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got home from the Nixa stop of the Tesla Roadster Sport #750. I got to enjoy a short test ride, but did not get to drive. It was a very cool first encounter with the Tesla and I was very impressed with the build and performance. My appetite is sure whetted for my own Model S to arrive....2 years seems like a very long time!
    Photos from the visit: Tesla Motors - a set on Flickr

Tesla Roadster #750 beside my 2004 Prius

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And how long did it take the plug-in Prius to drive from Florida to DC? Stunts take longer because they are stunts. It's not news if they just drive to the destination.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what is the issue here?? the fact that its taking 2 weeks?? OMG. next they will complain about the Nissen taking 3 weeks to go from San Francisco to Seattle.

the objective with a cross country drive is not performance, its EXPOSURE!!! Tesla wants as many people as possible to see the car. driving thru towns at 120 MPH is not the objective. its a demo tour

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Reading the comments to the autoblog article is a hoot. In a way I'm kind of glad there are so many stupid folks in the world that leave inexplicable comments at places like autoblog . . . the comments serve as a reminder that I'll never have to be the bottom rung on the intelegence ladder.

:p

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Comments on autoblog aren't as bad as the ones on Youtube. :)

The comic at xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language - By Randall Munroe sums it up pretty well.