1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla EVSE on a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Priusmpg, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Long story short:
    I Got anxious with the range of my PIP so I did next worse thing, I bought a all electric car, I bought a Models S P85+. What can I do to use tesla charger for the prius? Any adapters? How can I can i charge the car faster? Can i upgrade the charge in the car. Not THE EVSE

Long story
    Some may consider this a First world problem, I have to sell one of my cars because honestly i can't drive them enough and i have started to neglect my cars. So I have 4 cars not including the tesla or the prius. I live with my parents and I'm going to college and they have cars of their own and can't park all of them at home. I have a '07 RX400h (84k miles), '14 ESh (4K miles), 14' Gs (3K miles), 10' E350 (55kmiles ). Anyone want to buy any of them>

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why are you keeping the pip?

priuskitty likes this.
  3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's my most favorite car in the world

Coming from a 17y/o it's weird but I will never sell it

priuskitty likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't upgrade the charge speed beyond l2 without a total rebuild. you can add more battery.

5. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Total? I was expecting like a 1-4k charger that could take like 8-12 KW

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Besides the charger's in the PIP not the EVSE, that's what determines what charging rate the batteries get.

Priusmpg likes this.
  7. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah I want to upgrade the charger not the evse

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why he asked if he could upgrade 'the charge in the car, not the evse'.

9. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ok, got it bisco. I would think Toyota figured that what the current charge rate is at is the most optimal and any faster charge would shorten the battery life.

10. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or they went with the most cost effective route

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. but tinkerers can be choosers.:cool:

12. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will have to find a company to do this for me. All electric prius???? Have I gone crazy? replace the whole engine bay with Batterys?? add a Tesla moter to the rear wheels?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wrong zip code.

i like it. i wonder if luscious would take a swing at this?

you should pm bill the engineer. question is, where to get tesla parts? strip one down?

priuskitty and Priusmpg like this.
  14. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a commercially available PIP upgrade available from. Plug-In Supply | Plug-In Upgrades for the Toyota Prius

Unfortunately any battery upgrade will add weight, cost significant $, reduce the available cargo space.
    I found the plug in supply option, investigated it a bit and didn't like several aspects. I have done a "paper tiger" design of a battery and control system that should give two and 1/2 times the stock range at a cost of approximately $4000 and preserve the cargo space above the current floor, sacrificing the rear cubbyhole. I've shelved the project as it would never pay for itself with my usage. Another thing I did differently vs Plug in supply was I used the existing charging system so my charging times would be even longer.
    Send me a private email at [email protected]

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As to the actual question the battery in the PiP is just a standard lithium chemistry. You are smart enough to know the EVSE is not the "charger", excellent. The PiP charges at about 1.9KW-2KW from what I'm told (I don't have a PiP). You can bring the pack up to about 90% at full speed, but then you will have to drop down to 1KW or so for the top balance. So there is going to be a bit there where even a super fast charger will not have a speed benefit. But from 0% to 90%, you can improve the speed. I believe the PiP pack is rated for about 60KW/14C.

There are Leaf users who had the 3.3KW chargers that have installed 7.2KW worth of Brusa chargers.

Check out this site: BRUSA: Chargers - 400 V

Since the PiP is under 400V, you can use the 22KW fast charger: BRUSA: NLG6 Fast Charger

With the Pip you should get from 0 to 90% in 11 minutes. And then double that to get the last bit up top.

16. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Don't you guys have 60Hz AC network? BRUSA NLG6 is rated to 50Hz +-1%.

Otherwise, I would suggest against tampering with PiP's electronics, if it is really that dear to you.
    But hey, if nobody tries it, how would the science evolve?

#16 -Rozi-, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, but I have a feeling it can probably do 60Hz.

There other charger NLG513 can take 48-62Hz and can coincidentally be paralleled up to 22KW. Magically the same output as the other charger. My guess is the big boy charger is just 6 phases of the small charger put in parallel.

Also with these offline supplies the first thing they do is chop the input at high frequency to make an intermediate high voltage bus. The 10Hz difference really shouldn't do much but make the efficiency curves or power factor different.

I guess if you want to be absolutely sure, just buy 6 of the other chargers.

18. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BAD ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FIRE HAZARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PIP OEM charging system is integrated with the cars computers which run during charging and are involved in SAFELY restoring precicely the charge used!

What this IGNORANT poster who doesn't own a PIP and has not conducted any experiments) proposes, simply adding an external charger, makes no provision for cell balancing or individual cell monitoring, which are needed to SAFELY charge ANY lithium ion battery!

It is certainly possible to adapt a faster charger safely but it'll take SIGNIFICANT modification of the battery and likely require adding a redundant battery management system and modification of other computers in the car.

priuskitty likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are wrong on all accounts.

It is just a battery. You can charge it with a nice CC/CV profile that the Brusa puts out and no harm will be done. You set the limits properly and no harm done. This has been done for years with homebrew EV's as well as on Nissan Leafs that came with 3.3KW chargers.

I own a fully electric vehicle and better yet I work on the semiconductors that companies like Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Audi, Tesla, and more actually use inside their BMS system. I have got hundred of killiowatts of lithium sitting in a cubicle here that we charge and discharge all the time.

You are super ignorant and you might want to do some research before hurling bricks of stupidity at people that know much more than you and actually are designing the current and future hybrid and electric vehicle battery management systems.

markabele likes this.
  20. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I stand by My warnings! And I've enjoyed a 40+ year carear designing and using semiconductors.
    There is a reason Toyota, Nissan, GM,Tesla and all other responsible entities, including Boeing spend lots of money developing and implementing battery management systems to control the charging of Lithium Ion packs.

1. OVERCHARGING A SINGLE CELL CAN LEAD TO A FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. WITHOUT MONITORING INDIVIDUAL CELL VOLTAGES DURING CHARGING A RANDOM FAILURE CAN EASILY BECOME A CATASTROPHIC FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should anyone follow the STUPID advice and charge a lithium ion pack without cell level monitoring and cause a fire they ALONE, without any insurance will be COMPLETELY LIABLE for any injury or property damage!

The person who wrote the insult "You are super ignorant and you might want to do some research before hurling bricks of stupidity at people that know much more than you and actually are designing the current and future hybrid and electric vehicle battery management systems." Is not going to serve your prison term or pay for the damage that can easily result from following his advice.