1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Fires a Shot across the Competition's Bow

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, Jul 24, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tesla is suing rivian for stealing patents, should be fun to watch

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll have my popcorn ready :).

I'm thinking about 4-6 years with our Prime will be about right until we get some real world data from Rivian;).

Or other BEV pickups will be out there, so I'll have options(y).

bisco likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Notice how everyone is carefully side-stepping the topic itself, identifying who the "competition" actually is? Yet again, we have reason to push the KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE advice. To move beyond the early-adopter stage, purchase priorities of the masses must be addressed. Clearly, Tesla is not targeting the masses.

Price is far too high. Look at what has been considered by other automakers. We see the idea of offering different packages for the same model of vehicle. One that offers a smaller battery with a lower powered system would achieve a cost-reduction enough to appeal to those who don't or can't spend as much.

This isn't rocket science. It is basic economics. The obsession with range, speed, and power has blinded our society to such an extreme, some of the world sees us now as not worth the bother. Ironically, this was exactly what was warned about back when GM's vaporware push took hold. It's that "over promise, under deliver" problem no longer taken seriously.

If you want to appeal to the crowd who provides business-sustaining profit... someone like my mom who is perfectly content driving around an old Corolla... you have to deliver something they'll be willing to actually purchase. The idea of plugging in is a hard sell to that audience. So a vague mention of "competition" simply doesn't make any sense. It's just hype to get people to post comments.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think musk 'knows his audience' pretty well. mom can buy a bolt/leaf/toyota bev

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Continuing to focus exclusively on a niche at the detriment of growth is a very real problem... and a repeat of mistakes you are all too happy to support... which I find fascinating. That's how the "Who?" question came about. Preventing that repetition should be taken seriously.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not seeing a problem with growth or profitability. what numbers are you looking at?

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is about trade secrets and patents not related to the cars' technology. Mostly info making it easier to hire people away from Tesla, and manufacturing IP.

"Tesla alleges that shortly before her departure from Tesla, one employee "took highly sensitive trade secret compensation and bonus information for Tesla sales personnel for use at Rivian—including base pay rates, target bonuses, new hire equity awards, and incentive-based compensation numbers." Obviously, knowing Tesla's pay scales would give Rivian an advantage in recruiting Tesla workers
    A third employee allegedly helped herself to "manufacturing project management, controls specifications for manufacturing equipment, specifications regarding manufacturing robots, and manufacturing equipment requirements." A fourth took a list of Tesla employees with expertise in charging networks—some of whom were recruited by Rivian shortly afterward."

Tesla sues Rivian for stealing secrets as electric car fight heats up | Ars Technica

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You need to look at a Tesla roof.

I’m reluctantly headed that way.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree. but i think we're going to downsize in the not too distant future. i'd like to plan it into a remodel.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    they've sold over a million ev's .... how many more Millions will it be until you figure they are targeting the masses ....
    Well, if it's an electric with no range, no speed, nor power then Toyora hit the nail on the head with they're Scion iQ EV;

[​IMG]

Motor Trend commented how no one wanted a car with under 50 miles range, especially if it cost more than a similarly-sized golf cart. Toyota not only killed off the IQ electric, they killed off the entire Scion lineup, not much before killing off the Prius V & the Prius C.

Calling GM's attempt at improving their CAFE standards through EV's, "vaporware" - in light of how Toyota has done their own lineup Hatchet work .... isn't that like throwing stones in a glass house?
    My mom is content to drive her old Hyundai until the wheels fall off as well. But that doesn't make for great Automotive Sales. Doing that would not be "knowing your audience" - if you're waiting for your customers to sell maybe 15 years from now - hoping to god you'll go for the same manufacturer.
    Tesla, on the other hand is taking the lunch from BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Porsche, Audi etc. Porsche Audi at least ARE building performance EV's. But they're only getting ~200 miles. That's not pulling hills - much less doing it in cold weather - pedal to the metal .... and the cost? For as much as a similarly powered Tesla. Respectfully, I'd have to disagree that they don't "know their audience" .

#52 hill, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    range, speed and power are what has made tesla successful. don't blame elon, blame american buying tastes.
    perhaps the toyota tundra, landcruiser, et al should be discontinued voluntarily by the manufacturer?

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota hasn't been shy about talking about the Rav4 Prime's power and performance.

bisco likes this.
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why are you still looking backward? The discussion topic is about the "GOING TO BE" audience, not the low-hanging fruit of the past.

Selling to mainstream buyers without subsidies is far more difficult than appealing to early-adopters.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    and range .... lots of range ... in fact if i had $50K for each commercial bragging how many 100's of miles beyond having to pee (or stretch or eat) our Prius (or other toyota) can travel between full & empty - i'd be a millionaire. They ARE coming around to knowing their audience at Toyota !
    ;)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well then, let's get back to the topic: 'musk thinks the new standard is going tobe 300 miles'

he seems to be the only mfg who thinks that. i wouldn't bet against him, so far, most of what he 'thinks' has come true.
    otoh, there are a bunch of other bev manufacturers floundering around, trying figure out 'what is going to be'.

in fact, they are so lost, they don't even know 'what is'.

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Really? I haven't seen a single commercial or ad.

Producing 5k for the second biggest world market is not appealing to the masses. Not at least selling in all states that have progressive green thinking cities is not appealing to the masses. Not having sufficient batteries that you can produce to meet demand is not appealing to the masses.

Good grief, Toyota seems to be producing more factories than Toyota does EVs and at a faster rate.... (slight exaggeration acknowledged).

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla's sales in the US might be down this year, but there is a major factor besides lack of tax credits at work. Something that is also dropping Toyota's and others sales.
    Tesla U.S Sales Figures
    Toyota U.S Sales Figures
    They are both down about 22% for the first two quarters compared to last year.
    Seen any Tesla ads pushing power?;)

There is a Rav4 Prime page on Toyota's site, and the horsepower rating was in the title of this press release; Toyota Revs Up Lineup with New 302-Horsepower RAV4 Prime - Toyota USA Newsroom
    This was the first line for two other releases, "The 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime will break ground as the most powerful and quickest RAV4 ever, hitting dealerships this summer with a starting MSRP of $38,100." They do share the same first paragraph, but both continue talking about performance when they diverge in the second.
    2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime: Primed and Ready for Electrified Traction - Toyota USA Newsroom
    Get the First-Ever 2021 RAV4 Prime Starting at Under $40K MSRP - Toyota USA Newsroom

The Rav4p is a 2021 model. 5000 units for the few months preceding its model year is roughly double the number of Priusp's sold in the same time frame.

#59 Trollbait, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That has nothing to do with the difference between appealing to early-adopters verse mainstream buyers.