1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla has been cheating EPA on mpge and range numbers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you compare the EPA mpge numbers for the Toyota Prius Prime vs. the most efficient Tesla Model 3 trims, you will see that they are about the same—Prius Prime itself having 133 mpge with similar numbers for the Model 3. However, how could this be given that the Prius Prime is a much lighter car that runs on much skinnier tires? Well, it isn't. The Tesla Model 3 has a lot lower mpge than the Prius Prime, but they somehow managed to find a way to overstate their mpge values, while virtually all other manufacturers conservatively understate them. The real-world mpge of Prius Prime vs. Tesla Model 3 is probably more like 3 to 2 rather than anywhere near being equal.

The way the range and mpge values work is that they are self-reported by the manufacturers to the EPA. It is an honor system, and we know from the Volkswagen scandal that it could be exploited. Edmunds tested the actual ranges for the EVs, and they found out that virtually all underestimate, many greatly, the real-world range/mpge, which is probably because the EPA test is designed to be conservative so that the drivers don't run out of charge while they are driving. Virtually the only exception is Tesla, who overestimates the range/mpge consistently for all its models. The only non-Tesla models that overestimate the real-world range/mpge are the Lucid Air Dream and—surprise—Toyota bZ4X. I guess grossly overstating and mischaracterizing the self-driving capability is not where the misleading by Tesla stops.

Edmunds tested: Electric-car range and consumption | Edmunds

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm wondering how they maximized regeneration in the bZ4X if the bZ4X, by default, uses coasting to make it feel like an average car. So they must have used the Regenerative Braking Boost button which is interesting as it seems the EPA test probably didn't. Wonder if Edmunds did a similar test with PHEVs because there is no specific user mode to maximize regeneration on the Primes or the 450h+ (or any Toyota/Lexus hybrid). As every hyper miler knows, coasting is far more efficient than regeneration/acceleration.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. I’m not sure. I did get better efficient than my friend with the SR+ without a heat pump but I do more city driving by than he does.

I do think the 3 is efficient, especially in SR form with the 18” rims.

As for actual numbers, he’s getting 13kWh/100km in the summer including highway driving. I’m around 10-11kWh/100km mostly city.

Gokhan likes this.
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Your kWh-per-km numbers for the Prius Prime for city driving sound just about right. With more mixed highway driving, they could go down to around 12 kWh/100 km, probably still beating your friend. I get 30 miles per 6.25 kWh, which is 13 kWh/100 km, in mostly highway driving (not too fast though) and similar miles as in yours in city driving.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since I once owned a 2017 Prius Prime that was traded in for a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, this posting was curious:
    Source www.fueleconomy.gov:
    upload_2022-9-2_22-5-56.png
    • Prime has about 100 times more moving parts than the Tesla
      • Prime has a catalytic converter that can be stolen
    • Prime only gets 133 MPGe for 25 miles EV versus 240 miles for my Tesla
    • Over 5 years, the Tesla is rated $1,250 cheaper to charge versus Prime
    • Trading in the Prime reduced the Tesla cost to $24,000
    The EPA independently test a subset of cars and fines the cheaters for false reporting.

Our other car is a 2014 BMW i3-REx. We kept it because it out performed the 2017 Prius Prime in EV range and cost of ownership. But we can cover that in another posting if there are any questions.

Bob Wilson

#5 bwilson4web, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Isaac Zachary likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the point of this thread is:

* Never mind the figures posted to FuelEconomy.gov, what did YOU measure?

After all the zillions of measurements you made on prior vehicles, it would be difficult to believe that you might not have taken similar measures for this comparison.

=====================

Here is a related article from a competing car mag, last year:

The Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

"This is where it gets interesting. The default adjustment factor reduces the window-sticker range by 30 percent. So a car that achieves 300 miles of range during the city-cycle dynamometer test ends up with a 210-mile city rating. However, the EPA allows automakers the option to run three additional drive cycles and use those results to earn a more favorable adjustment factor. Currently, only Tesla and Audi employ this strategy for their EVs, and Tesla scores the most advantageous results, with adjustments that range from 29.5 percent on the Model 3 Standard Range Plus to 24.4 percent on the Model Y Performance. If Tesla had used the standard adjustment factor of 30 percent, the Model Y Performance's window-sticker range would drop to 292 miles. But because Tesla takes advantage of the EPA's alternate methodology, the company can instead claim a 315-mile range."

7. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    It's a myth that applying strong regenerative braking is more efficient than coasting. Energy conversion is never 100% efficient and the less conversion you do, the better. In most everyday driving scenarios, gradual regenerative braking is sufficient to come to a stop fully where needed.

Isaac Zachary and drash like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Isaac Zachary and Zythryn like this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think others are learning from Tesla how to cheat/take advantage of the system as well, like the new Toyota bZ4X. ;) It sucks that the EPA testing procedures can (be manipulated to or selected to) give results that are different by ±35%, especially given that they are controlled laboratory tests, not field tests.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wayne Gerdes says something similar. “I defined it is simply as beating the EPA in whatever you own and drive,”
    I only have two EVs for testing:
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx with ~75,000 miles
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range with 79,822 miles
    Using a constant speed of 62-63 mph, both cars continue to return within expected variability the EPA, kWh / 100 mile, consumption rates. The smaller EV range, 72 miles, of the BMW has to be scaled for the smaller, usable 18.1 kWh pack. Even the former 2017 Prius Prime was pretty much dead on the EPA metrics.

With the Prime, I had a daily, round trip, 20 mile work commute, 20/25 = 80% of the EV range. But what pissed me off was the gas engine would run too easily at temperatures below 55 F. In contrast, the BMW i3-REx would not run the ICE unless the battery SOC reached ~6% even in sub-freezing temperatures. The Tesla Model 3 never runs a gas engine.

So my cars fully meet my expectations. But then I drive per EPA specs and don't care about ad hoc claims.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So we kept the 2014 BMW i3-REx:
    upload_2022-9-3_3-43-13.png
    • 81 MPGe+MPG for 72 mi =( (25 mi * 133 MPGe) + (47 mi * 54 MPG) ) / 72 mi
    • 117 MPGe for 72 miles
    • 133 MPGe for 72 miles
    The Prius Prime is the least efficient over a 72 mile range. The BMW i3-REx is next and the Tesla rules them all.

Bob Wilson

12. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I gather reading the many postings and test results is the Prius Prime was and still is one of the most efficient utilitarian cars ever made. Plug it in and go around town gas free every day or jump in it with a full tank of gas and have a 600-mile range and not a care in the world about route management or planning.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have yet to see any support for the “cheating” label.
    Edmunds test is different than the EPA tests. It should be no surprise that the results are thus… different.

Run the tests using the same methodology as the EPA tests and you might have evidence of cheating.

Trollbait likes this.
  14. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should have said as every PriusChatter knows, coasting or gliding is far more efficient than regeneration/acceleration. ;)
    The only way regen works efficiently is if it's your last stop. The only way regeneration helps a little is going down long hills/mountains or you run out of road before you have to stop and this is mainly to save brakes not energy.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Real-World observations, especially when coming from a source like Edmunds, go further to build a true picture of efficiency than anything else can provide... since they aren't lab estimates and they use a standardized approach. You want a basis of comparison, that's what you should use.

But if you want a true range expectation, that isn't helpful. Automakers really on their game will provide software capable of giving you a fairly accurate calculation while on your trip, using recently observed efficiency and the amount of electricity remaining at that moment. This is quite important when you are trying to determine where to stop for a recharge.

Understanding the numbers is important. Our market is basically clueless still, having no idea what to look for or what it means when they eventually find it. The most important value is the "mi/kWh" efficiency measure. Think of it as an equivalent to MPG for calculated range. You multiple that times the number of kWh available to come up with an estimated distance in miles.

For some perspective, here is Edmunds data filtered on common market choices calculated to show that "mi/kWh" value:

2.13 mi/kWh = 2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
    2.67 mi/kWh = 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
    2.86 mi/kWh = 2020 Tesla Model X Long Range
    3.07 mi/kWh = 2020 Tesla Model S Performance
    3.12 mi/kWh = 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
    3.23 mi/kWh = 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro S dual motor
    3.24 mi/kWh = 2023 Genesis GV60 Performance
    3.24 mi/kWh = 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited dual motor
    3.32 mi/kWh = 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
    3.38 mi/kWh = 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
    3.38 mi/kWh = 2022 Mazda MX-30
    3.39 mi/kWh = 2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line dual motor
    3.41 mi/kWh = 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro
    3.42 mi/kWh = 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext Range RWD
    3.42 mi/kWh = 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Std. Range
    3.46 mi/kWh = 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
    3.47 mi/kWh = 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 First Edition
    3.51 mi/kWh = 2023 Toyta bZ4X Limited FWD
    3.69 mi/kWh = 2022 Nissan Leaf Plus SL
    3.82 mi/kWh = 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range
    3.85 mi/kWh = 2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD
    3.86 mi/kWh = 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range
    3.89 mi/kWh = 2022 Chevrolet Bolt
    3.95 mi/kWh = 2020 Kia Niro EV
    4.35 mi/kWh = 2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus
    4.35 mi/kWh = 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric
    4.59 mi/kWh = 2020 MINI Cooper SE
    4.81 mi/kWh = 2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric

Tideland Prius likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus:
    upload_2022-9-3_11-46-25.png
    • 4.42 mi/kWh = 1000 / 226 Wh/mi
    3.89 mi/kWh = 2022 Chevrolet Bolt
    3.95 mi/kWh = 2020 Kia Niro EV
    4.35 mi/kWh = 2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus
    4.35 mi/kWh = 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric
    4.42 mi/kWh = 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (rjw)
    4.59 mi/kWh = 2020 MINI Cooper SE
    4.81 mi/kWh = 2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric

Bob Wilson

iplug and Gokhan like this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The test is obviously different, but Tesla consistently overestimated while others consistently underestimating.

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's exactly my point. Prius Prime gets 5.6 mi/kWh in mixed driving on average, while it has the same 133-mpge EPA rating as your Model 3. So, Model 3 overstates its efficiency and range by 27% in comparison to Prius Prime.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cheating is punishable.

taking advantage of the system is wise, and can only be corrected by congress

ColoradoCrow and Trollbait like this.
  20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's really good. Based on your postings, it looks like the large majority of your miles are highway, so you beat EPA handily.

Despite utilizing efficient driving habits in our former Plug-in Prius, I quickly acquiesced to the allure of acceleration/power and drive much more aggressively in our SR3+. I guesstimate about 60% highway miles in our case. Amazed that lifetime stats to this point on our SR3+: 220 Wh/mi = 4.55 mi/kWh.