1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla is doomed: Model 3 - 77,550, Model S/X - 17,650

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 2, 2019.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are correct. But that is the fault of their business model, no?
    The car charging networks, could and have partnered with car makers to provide free charging to consumers as a car purchasing incentive. (I got this with my 2015 Leaf) -- two years of free charging.) But a better deal would have been for many more years at a reasonable rate per kwh. For example 1 year of free and then 5 years of half price or $.10/kwh or something reasonable for your locality.

Mike

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the new gm/bechtel deal will solve all the problems, and now, vdumb will probably let ford dumb use their fantastic network ;)

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That requires the car maker to be willing to work with them, and I don't think many do. A fuel card of a set amount, and or/ good for a year is easy math to apply to that car's accounting. Your suggestion would require the car maker to track the costs over multiple years, or paying out a larger amount to the charger company at time of sale.

Another issue in some localities is that only a power company can directly charge for a kWh. This leaves charger companies using time parked as a surrogate. Not much trouble for Tesla since all they know the max rate their cars can take, and also monitor them. The others need to set their parking rate for cars with 6.6 kW chargers, which means PHEVs with 3.3 kW ones use them, they are overcharged.
    Well, in Europe, where Ford will be using VW's BEV platform, the charging network might be in better shape.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope so, for europes sake.