1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla killed my electric car....

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by georgekessel, Dec 23, 2010.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm lets see... zero to 60 in 4 seconds??...uhh yup yup i do!!

2. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I do not know, have you ever driven one? It's blazingly fast until you get to around 80mph then it really dies down. Tops out way below what I would consider a true Supercar. Around town it's kind of tough with no power steering. It's handling is very poor and there is a lot of road noise from the top and slamming sounds from the front end. A 911 Turbo is a very well refined Supercar that blows the doors off that Tesla overall - except for the fact that the 911 isn't electric.

Other things I learned during the almost-purchase process was that the cars are mostly built in England (full glider with working electronics and paint, only missing the Electric stuff) then air-shipped to Menlo. That is super non-eco friendly, I was kind of horrified when they told me that the cars are loaded on an airplane instead of a boat.

Then they later explained to me that the Tesla had to stay plugged in, while in my Phoenix garage in order to self-cool it's batteries to "room temperature". My garage gets to 120 in the summer, they explained that this would cost me around $30/month in extra electricity costs to keep the car cool even if I never used it. While $30 isn't much - the carbon footprint of the Tesla started growing in my mind. Then when they basically admitted that the battery would have to be replaced or seriously serviced within 7 years, the footprint grew further.

I really wanted that Tesla and am very dissapointed. But overall, now that I know what goes on behind the curtain I think it is for the best. Electric cars should be more eco friendly than their gasoline counterparts. The Tesla really isn't.

I could buy an older Lotus (because the Tesla is built on the old Lotus platform not the new one), and then donate $80k to Carbonfund.org and still come out way ahead. I think that would probably be better for the planet too.

I hope that someone will make a truly eco-friendly electric car soon!

For those of you who already own a Tesla please do not let my experience salt yours at all. I recall my test driving experience with much joy and fun. It was like a ride at an amusement park (so long as I didn't take hard turns). The accelleration was phenomenal and the Tesla made my daughter smile. That alone is worth more than money.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or buy yourself a Leaf, a Prius and maybe a second hand Ferrarri, Porche, Mercedes CL600 etc? Then you've got the best of everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You're the best :) I'll tell that one to my wife

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the way you think. Too bad it didn't work out for you.

I think a lot of good will come from the Tesla. It gets people thinking of EVs as more than enclosed golf carts. I would prefer a same chassis Lotus too.

6. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you xs, some people got very heated at me over my posts. Actually I tried talking with Tesla owners about this in their forum but they so heavily moderate it that only a few of my posts made it through. They did allow my main post through (they only slightly edited it) but then I'd reply to many people just to have my response 'dissapear'. My posts were polite and very reasonable if not apologetic. I don't see any reason to censor them :(

Note to Teslamotorsclub forum readers - please accept my sincere apologies guys. I know from experience that your car is a heck of a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy every day with it.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The main reason I didn't order a Tesla several years ago was that the seat (in the prototype they gave me a ride in) was very uncomfortable, and the seat position, practically on the floor, was not old-man friendly. I also didn't like the noise of the cooling system. And the fact that I'd have had to wait an estimated year for it (which in the end would have been two years).

So I bought the Zap Xebra instead and it's been a very nice, fun (in its own way) and reliable car. And then I got the Porsche for conversion, which has been a disaster, so I'm still driving the Xebra.

But I'd still like to know if you ever asked them at the beginning what the full cost was going to be, including all taxes, fees, and charges?

I'd also like to know if you were dealing with Tesla corporate, or a dealership. Some Toyota dealerships are dreadful. Most are okay. A few are very good.

8. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was dealing with Tesla Corporate. The shipping cost was not disclosed up front. I think that it could just be a misunderstanding. I live in more than one place and maybe they weren't sure where the car was going to be delivered (even though they did ask...).

The man George that I was working with in the end said he was the national sales manager of Tesla. He said the only person above him was Eon Musk and he directed me to contact Eon. I tried a few times but he never got back to me. I'm sure he thought I was a problem customer and not worth the aggravation. From his perspective I really don't blame him and I really do wish Tesla much success.

I'm sure they and I will learn from this experience in positive ways.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I apologize for pushing on this, but did you ask the question? Or were you expecting to be given the information without asking? "The question" being: "What will be my total out-of-pocket cost to own this car?" or something like it.

If you buy something that must be delivered, you expect to have to pay for shipping unless they offer free shipping. A lot of furniture and appliance stores will deliver free within a specific radius. Some retailers offer free shipping (usually because they charge more for the item). If I were buying a car out of state and they were going to deliver it, I would ask "What are you going to charge me for shipping?"

In fact, I bought my Zap Xebra out of state. The dealer is in Oregon. I discussed the price with him. I wanted some modifications, so I asked what they would cost. And I asked what he would charge to deliver it. I also asked when it would be delivered, and had to accept an approximation because he could not give me a definite date.

You keep saying they did not disclose the shipping cost. But did you ever ask if and how much they'd charge for shipping? I'm sorry, but I really think this is an important point.

10. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think I must have misunderstood them. They said how they send technicians to service cars for free to areas where they have not yet opened a dealership. They talked about how even if there is not a dealership in my area they make the experience so fluid (immediately flying out a tech, having a rep in your area, etc..) that they provide the same or even a higher level of service to those outside of their dealership area. That's why it was such a shock to see the $1000 "out of dealership area" delivery charge. They said if I could pick it up at a dealership the charge would not apply. So I asked them to deliver it to their LA dealer and I'd pick it up there (that's kind of close to Phoenix). Then they said that wasn't allowed, it had to be delivered. There was a lot of double talk going on, but it was probably just a mistunderstanding.

For example, many of my posts on their Tesla forum were deleted (never went up). When I poked fun of them for censoring me, first their forum admin posted that I was wrong and they never do that, then later they admitted that my posts were somehow caught in one of their filters and now the posts are old and duplicated so they went ahead and deleted them. That is probably completely true - but given the way things have been going for me with Tesla, it's just another unfortunate misunderstanding that leaves a bad taste.

I received a PM that it takes over 20,000lbs of fossil fuel based carbon just to make a Tesla (the air freight shipping of the completed body from London is probably a huge culprit). If that is true it would be very hard to feel good about buying an "eco car" that creates so much pollution. There has to be a better way.

Does anyone know if this 20,000lb number is even remotely accurate? God I hope not.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tesla isn't going to save the environment. but that's not the point. the idea is to strive to move away from gasoline and keep developing more and more alternative fuel based transportation. tesla is just another rung on the ladder.:rockon:

1 person likes this.
  12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. And I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Tesla's long-term goal is to build environmental cars. Their business model is to enter the car market in the only arena where a small start-up company can compete: low-volume, high-performance, very expensive sport cars. The target buyer for the Roadster is not really the EV buff. It's the sports-car buff. The rich guy having his mid-life crisis who wants a fast car, but a Ferrari is not fast enough. This is a market where a small company like Tesla can compete and get a start. The Model S will be an expensive sporty sedan, competing with the likes of BMW. Closer to the mainstream, but still not full-on mass market. Still a car for people with a good deal of disposable income. If all goes well, their next car after that will be a mass-market EV for ordinary folks. That's the one that will (if all goes well) be environmentally friendly. It will not be shipped from overseas. (I don't know anything about the shipping of the glider for the Roadster.)

You are right that the Roadster is not in itself a car that directly addresses global warming. But it is the only way for a new company to enter the market. And it serves to dispel the image of the electric car as a glorified golf cart. When people see the Roadster they will start to perceive electric cars as "real" cars and this will help to open the consumer's minds, and the market, to cars like the Leaf.

2 people like this.
  13. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting - I tried to reply to another post on the Tesla Motors Club forum and found my post dissapearing again... I've given up on that forum.

People on that forum actually posted this in response to my queries;

He's under the impression that the delivery of the gliders from UK via plane is not Eco-friendly. Obviously he hasn't researched it to know Tesla is contracting reduced rates on flights that happen regardless if a Roadster is onboard or not. Cheaper and not less Eco-friendly.

'Cmon really? Do these people really think it's more eco friendly to air-freight a car from the UK to Menlo than to send it by freighter? What Telsa tells people is that they have reduced rates by using Lotus's negotiated discounts with the air freight companies, since Lotus builds for them. To say that shipping those cars by AIR compared to SEA is eco friendly is wrong by a factor of 50;

air is the most GHG-intensive option. Carbon dioxide emissions for air freight are 3.7 times those for truck, 37.7 times (yes - that's nearly 40 times) those for rail transport and 48.5 times (nearly 50 times) those for ocean shipping by container, according to recent work by Weber and Matthews

One keen person on their forum has a signature that resonates with me. It says "the world loves to be deceived" and that certainly seems to be true. We all want to beleive that an electric car will somehow save the planet. We don't want to recognize that the best way to save the planet is not to drive at all....

If the point of a Tesla is not to be eco friendly but to prove that Electric cars can be fast than that point has been well proven and the world will someday thank them for that. Now let's move on and find ways to build electric cars that create less - not more - pollution than their gasoline counterparts.

Your ZAP appears to be a very green vehicle and you should be proud of your choice. I have an electric Smart coming soon (supposedly) which ironically uses some Telsa technology. I was fortunate enough to be chosen for one of the few they are bringing to North America on a special closed end lease. Of course I won't know for sure until I get my hands on the keys - but they have assured me that it's coming soon.

Until then I still have my old CDI Smart which manages around 80mpg and is mostly recycleable. We run it on Biodiesel made locally by a friend.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... good luck with that.

In Canada, Mercedes-Benz Canada will send a car to your house to service or repair the vehicle (if it's doable in your driveway) for a fee. That's the only form of personal customer service that I've seen or heard about.

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever I see an well fed software engineer shoehorning himself into that little car, it makes me laugh just a little.

16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sort of similar over here. One of my companies contracts is with the local MB dealer where we will take their customer either their home or office once they've dropped their MB in for service and then return them to the dealer later once their car is ready. This is at no cost to the customer directly, though one assumes they pay for this service somewhere along the line.

It's not just MB either. Most of the premium marque dealers (BMW, Audi etc) offer a similar service and even Toyota will give you either a courtesy car of drop you off using their own drivers. If you choose to stay and wait you'll have free coffee and wifi, tv, internet etc and they'll give you priority so you don't have to wait all day.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple of thoughts here
    1)I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I think we've all had situations develop where there was miscommunication, misinformation or maybe some subtle deception that left a bad feeling with us and the best solution was to just get away. Particularly with a high priced purchase, if you aren't feeling good about things it's usually best to just get out cleanly. To that end, I don't blame you at all for your decision.

2)I may be totally off base, but I get a sense that your Tesla purchase was a bit of a spur of the moment thing for you. Nearly all the points you mention are well known to we Tesla fanatics--and those at Teslamotorsclub.com. I also wonder if perhaps Tesla is accustom to more fully informed clientele and/or presumed that you were already well informed. That isn't an excuse, they should have the routine down pat, you should have gotten a contract/agreement up front itemizing all costs.

3)A quick web search about the battery life would have told you what you found surprising about the battery life. They're very up front on the web site FAQs and all the forums have discussed the battery life at length. The $12k "insurance" is a way that Tesla is attempting to address battery life anxiety as people are certainly not interested in paying $50k in 7 years. On this point, I fault you fully as I think the information has been more than accessible.

4)Yes, chargers cost money and can be expensive--not sure what you mean about charger problems. So I don't think this is really a valid point on your part either, again, the Tesla site states how much the chargers cost. They have multiple well done videos showing how the chargers work as well.

5)Delivery fee--I guess I fault both of you here--You should have asked and know, they should have provided an itemized list of all costs, you tried to compromise, they should have compromised--unless they can provide proof that they did tell you about those costs up front. None of us have all the letters/emails or can listen in on all the phone contacts, so I'll take your word for it that they never told you. But it's a shame that such a nominal fee is what ultimately spoiled a $136k car purchase.

6)I think the carbon footprint discussion is off topic here. You can't tell me you thought you were saving the planet buying the Tesla. Again, those of us who really have spent a long time understand the carbon footprint issue. Tesla is going to build the Roadster II and the Model S and future models right here in the US of A and that will help. But if we don't have start ups like Tesla we won't get action from the major manufacturers--why you think Nissan built the leaf? Long term we can reduce the carbon footprint with EVs, PHEVs, hybrids, etc. It's a big picture issue, not a single vehicle issue.

7)AMEX deal--not sure I understand what went wrong there--did they ultimately agree, or still refused a valid deal? And here's what I'm ticked about--I'm along time AMEX Platinum holder and haven't heard about that deal!!

I encourage you to reconsider your cancellation of the Model S, you can keep on the wait list and cancel later--I bet they'd give you your spot back. Tesla's doing good things for EVs and the environment and I believe they're a really great company, not withstanding your personal, bad, experience.

18. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you for your very well written and thoughtful post. I didn't confirm my cancellation of the model S until I conversed with Elon Musk. After that, I really felt it was for the best for me to distance myself from Teslaco altogether. I have seen behind their curtain and didn't like what I saw.

When you say that Tesla's doing good things for EVs and the environment, can you elaborate on the second part of that? While they have done good things for EVs - with the information at hand (perhaps 20,000lbs of carbon per Roadster and a battery that will need to be disposed of in 7 years which will create a lot more carbon to replace) what good things are they doing for the environment?

We have many electric forklifts and similar machines, and the newer ones are quite amazing (see Jungheinrich AG - Hand pallet trucks, Lift trucks, Forklift trucks, High-rack stackers, Battery-powered pedestrian trucks, Diesel lift trucks, Order pickers, Reach trucks, Rack systems, Rental forklifts, forklifts, Driver training ). They have regenerative braking and can last a week without being recharged under normal use. When the batteries on on older lifts die, we often have to junk the entire machine as the battery is the lifeblood of them. To me if the Telsa has a 7 year battery life this means the car has a 7 year life (don't flame me for this please, you know what I mean).

The PM's I received say that Teslaco's main invention in-a-nutshell is adding cooling to a Li-Ion battery pack. I'm sure they've done more than that - since you have researched them could you explain some of their major inventions and thank you for the intel.

The purchase was not a spur of the moment one for me but it was harried due to trying to make it b/f year end. I did some research onlne but was too busy to dig in the way that you think I should have. I relied upon them to disclose to me everything about the car. They didn't do it in a normal way. For example I only found out about the way they fly the cars in from England when they gave me a status update of my car and it was still in England (due for delivery in 3 weeks). That led to a "how long are we going to be delayed" question which resulted in them disclosing that they were flying the car in from England. I balked and asked if they could just send it by sea instead (b/c of GHG concerns). They explained that no, all Telsas are flown, it costs them the same as ocean etc..

Did you know that they fly them all? I don't think there is any regular research I could have done to find out that information. Early in the process one of my friends mentioned that the Tesla wasn't as green as I thought. I did some online quick searches and was releived by what I found. However the information I read did not take into account the flying of the car or limited battery life.

Every online review and article I found describes the Roadster as Green. After reading them how could an average consumer such as myself think that the roadster is not green?

"The global online auto review site Autoguide.com tested Tesla's fourth-generation car in October 2010. Autoguide editor Derek Kreindler said "The Tesla Roadster 2.5 S is a massively impressive vehicle, more spacecraft than sports car. Theories like global warming, peak oil and rising oil prices should no longer bring heart palpitations to car fans. The Tesla shows just how good zero-emissions “green” technology can be."

"The Tesla turns the frugal environmentalist aesthetic on its head. Sure, it doesn't burn petroleum, and if plugged into a wind turbine or a nuclear plant, it would be a very low-carbon machine. But anyone who buys one will get the most satisfaction from smoking someone's doors off. The Tesla's message is that "green" technology can appeal to the id, not just the superego."

"a small carbon footprint in carbon fiber."

Jay Leno wrote, "If you like sports cars and you want to be green, this is the only way to go."

There are probably 100 more articles just like these, they all describe the Roadster as "Green".

Anyway I am off topic entirely but wanted you to understand why I thought it was actually a green choice. Please do reply with the eco friendly information so that maybe I will reconsider the model S. You seem to know a lot more than me, and I wish we had spoken before I had started the roadster purchase.

19. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow, its a supercar that saves your life! It keeps you from going insanly fast but still lets you break the speed limit all over the USA and get there quite fast!

i drove heavier cars without power steering and frankly enjoyed it. It was a little bit of a workout during parking but that is a good thing.

You are the only person or reviewer I have ever heard who said the handing was poor, yet alone very poor. The suspension is designed by Lotus!

While it is less then ideal, it is made up after about a similar distance in driving, of course that is a hell of a lot of distance. They need to switch to boat and do it SOON. The reason why they don't is it will set back deliveries even further.

The battery service is actually a very small increase in footprint, the whole battery will not need to be replaced. They may swap it out, but they will be just replacing a few bad cells in the pack and putting the rejuvenated pack in the next car.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    George, the point is not merely to prove that an electric car can be fast. The White Zombie has proved that abundantly. Rather, the points are to put a lot of great-looking, smoking-fast electric cars on the roads where ordinary people will see then; and, much more importantly, to break into the mass-manufacture car market at the only spot a newcomer without a billion dollars can do so: high-end sport cars. This is an entry point for a new company, and if you do not feel an overwhelming need to break away from stoplights faster than anything else on the road, you are not in the target market for a Roadster. Because it's an electric car, it's attracting environmentalists, but they are not the people Tesla is aiming for with the Roadster. It's really the car that will come after the Model S that is aimed at environmentalists.

I agree with you that flying is less "green" than shipping by sea. The point those other folks are making, however, is that they are using available cargo space that would otherwise go empty, and that reduces the impact compared to flying priority. Note that much of the food and clothing and electronics we buy are flown in from far away.

Sounds like you've found a great alternative, and a better car for an environmentalist, with the Smart EV. And I applaud you for using biodiesel. Personally, I dislike diesel, but that's strictly a personal thing. Using used fry oil as fuel, and diverting it from the landfill, is definitely a good thing.

I think you are being unfair when you say that 7 years will be the life of the car. With a 250-mile range, if the battery has 80% in 7 years, that's still a 200 mile range. And if it's got 50% of that in another 7 years, that's a 100-mile range in 14 years. My Xebra only has a 40-mile range, and for battery health and general buffer, I don't drive it farther than 30 miles. In 15 years from now, a Roadster with its original battery pack will still be an amazing car. The real issue is that as batteries come down in price and weight, and electronic control technology advances, the Roadster will be a dinosaur by then, as there will be 400-mile cars with crash-avoidance technology making them much safer for 1/4 the price.

1 person likes this.