1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla lawsuit complaint

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 13, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/4865.pdf

. . .
    At 3:07pm, Defendant Musk Tweeted: “Def no forced sales. Hope all shareholders remain. Will be way smoother & less disruptive as a private company. Ends negative propaganda from shorts.” This was in response to a Tweet from @MindFieldMusic stating that “At 1st I was upset bc I thought this would be a forced buyout. But if average folk like myself are allowed to reside with the garden walls along with you, then . . . Yes please.”
    . . .

I'm still reading it but this gem is worth it. The complaint condenses a lot of sparse tweets.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Too funny - plaintiffs here, the shorters , in short (pun intended) wana sue because Tesla is trying to protect itself. Ha! & to protect itself from the suing shorters - tesla could NOT protect itself .... then normal stock holders could sue, because tesla was NOT trying to profit.
    Only one thing to say - to the plaintiffs here;
    Sawweee ...

[​IMG]

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The plaintiff, Kalman Isaacs, is a notorious short seller of TSLA stock. He has shorted 3000 shares of TSLA worth over $1M. If you can't make money the old fashioned way then short sellers can try to manipulate stock to drive the price down with lawsuits. Short sellers live in glass houses as far as the SEC is concerned. Isaacs should be looking over his shoulder for a lawsuit against him.

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The guy that manipulated the world with PayPal is now in legal trouble for manipulating a stock swindle, he announced he was going private, the stock surged, now he’s being sued to prove he had financing in place before he manipulated the stock, we are still a nation of laws.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    being sued does not put you in legal trouble.

we are a nation of laws: innocent until proven guilty, unless you're a shorter losing money.:eek:

i hope the shorter takes it in the shorts.(y)

Felt, hill, bwilson4web and 1 other person like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm imagining the deposition of those suing. Their fabrications are 'fair game' as well as any past 'financial' articles that amplified and echoed their false claims. By the time it reaches a jury deliberation, I can imagine them asking the Judge, "Can we fine the complainants?"

Bob Wilson

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Innocent until proven guilty" is only for criminal courts. Lawsuits are handled in civil courts, where a lower standard applies.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Incorrect. Innocent until proven guilty still holds in civil court.
    It is easier to ‘prove’ guilt, but the presumption of innocence still applies.

Now, if you are talking about the publicity, there I agree with you.

bisco likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's not guilt either ... civil cases are ruled as "liable" ... or not, if anyone cares. & civil burden of proof is "preponderance" (more likely than not) as in the tipping of scales slightly for one side or the other - as opposed to the higher criminal standard, beyond reasonable doubt.
    .... at least here in Cali - but my license is in voluntary inactive status, so take it with a grain of salt.

fuzzy1, iplug, bisco and 2 others like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the shorters can be counter-sued for friviality (lawyers will call it something else) and recover damages.

I completely concur that shorters that drive the stock price down with false stories should face civil as well as legal wrath and that their stories should face ARDENT scrutiny.......however (comma!!!!) the same intensity should also be fairly and impartially directed towards company ossifers who loft news stories containing information that they know or SHOULD know is patently false - which they know or SHOULD know will inflate the company stock price.

Unfortunately.......the world is neither fair nor just.
    For every myopic Tesla hater there are probably a few sight-impaired fanboys.

Just once....I'd like to see somebody take a crack at making the world a better place who doesn't have a fetish for social media dumpster fires or have paper-thin skin.....:(

iplug and tpenny67 like this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can the jury turn the case on it's head by assessing a penalty against the plaintiffs?

My understanding is Tesla would have to counter sue. But if in discovery, egregious claims were made by the plaintiffs, I can see a counter suit.

Of course if it just legal fees of the plaintiffs, that would be enough.

Hummmm, it would seem weird to see Tesla sue someone for making the stock cheaper as Tesla is in preparation for going private.

Bob Wilson

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    In Cali, it's difficult to prove a case is frivolous, evidenced by the number of successful sanctions.
    https://www.library.ca.gov/Content/pdf/crb/reports/FrivolousActionFilingsReport.pdf

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if there were any basis here, wouldn't musk be facing criminal charges?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    most know the term " insider trading" - but it's a misnomer because anyone with special/inside knowledge that trades on stock w/in a 6 month window generally, can be prosecuted ... & more appropriately the crime is called a 'short swing profit' because it's all about the timing window, rather than being a true insider. What I wonder is whether or not short swing profiteering would apply to those that short stock, since they're the ones that actually create the 'special-knowledge' albeit fictitious.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still believe martha got a raw deal.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You don't think she cooked the books?

LasVegasaurusRex, iplug and bisco like this.
  17. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well played.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found at the SEC.gov web site for August 14:
    tsla-8k_20180814.htm

EX-99.1 2 tsla-ex991_6.htm EX-99.1 Exhibit 99.1

Tesla Announces Formation of Special Committee to Evaluate Potential Going Private Transaction

Palo Alto, CA, August 14, 2018 -- Tesla, Inc. (the “Company”) announced today that its Board of Directors has formed a special committee comprised of three independent directors to act on behalf of the Company in connection with Elon Musk’s previously announced consideration of a transaction to take the Company private (the “Going Private Transaction”). The special committee has not yet received a formal proposal from Mr. Musk regarding any Going Private Transaction nor has it reached any conclusion as to the advisability or feasibility of such a transaction.

The special committee is composed of Brad Buss, Robyn Denholm and Linda Johnson Rice. The special committee has retained Latham & Watkins LLP as its legal counsel and intends to retain an independent financial advisor to assist in its review of a formal proposal once received. The Company has separately retained Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati as its legal counsel in this matter.

The special committee has the full power and authority of the Board of Directors to take any and all actions on behalf of the Board of Directors as it deems necessary to evaluate and negotiate a potential Going Private Transaction and alternatives to any transaction proposed by Mr. Musk. The special committee’s grant of authority provides that no Going Private Transaction will be consummated without the approval of the special committee. The special committee expects to provide a further update concerning the process associated with Mr. Musk’s proposal as soon as practicable.

No assurances can be given regarding the likelihood, terms and details of any proposal or potential Going Private Transaction, that any proposal made by Mr. Musk regarding a potential Going Private Transaction will be accepted by the special committee, that definitive documentation relating to any such Going Private Transaction will be executed or that such a transaction will be completed.

Forward Looking Statements

Certain statements in this announcement, including statements regarding a potential Going Private Transaction, are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks, uncertainties and contingencies. These risks, uncertainties and contingencies include, but are not limited to, the impact of the announcement of the formation of the special committee and review of a potential Going Private Transaction on the Company’s business and its ability to implement any potential Going Private Transaction. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings.

This list of factors is not intended to be exhaustive. Such forward-looking statements only speak as of the date of this announcement, and the Company disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements.

Investor Relations Contact:
    [email protected]

Press Contact:
    [email protected]

Bob Wilson

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow!

[​IMG]
    Thanks!

#19 hill, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then when I first served jury duty, why was our jury pool shown a Raymond Burr video describing to us that criminal trials carried a 'proven beyond reasonable doubt' standard, but civil trials carried a lower 'preponderance of the evidence' standard?

In fact, we even used that video as the basis for our acquittal. We felt that the prosecution and arresting officer only just barely meet the 'preponderance of evidence' standard that the defendant was driving drunk, but fell significantly short of proving it beyond reasonable doubt. So based on that official video we had to watch in the jury waiting room just a few hours earlier, and this being a criminal instead of civil trial, we let the defendant go.

#20 fuzzy1, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018