1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla leads again and again

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by orenji, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe you should ask why 15 states feel the need to limit third parties from getting access to companies' customers' info?

hill likes this.
  2. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why would Tesla not grant it? Probably because they don't like J.D. Power. I've heard a number of auto journalists shake their heads in disbelief when J.D. Powers rated GM highest ranked quality automaker.

Triparadox likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    after our horrible experience brought on from the first couple years' models, I would rather protect my worst enemy from them - rather than recommend one to an acquaintance.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if i can buy a y for 32k net, what is a new leaf worth?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    first, one has to consider JD Powers primary interest, and if protecting them at all cost is more important then their honesty regarding Tesla.
    Only then consider the types of articles that JD Powers has written against Tesla. Here's one from fake news - essentially quoting Jd powers hit job;

Tesla ranks dead last in annual JD Power quality survey - CNN

Then consider other Automotive Experts against these kinds of complaints. First & foremost, always look to see what side of the bread - that the butter is on.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Big battery degradation hits with poor thermal management seems to have been mostly resolved in most recent generation. Still, the competition has evolved faster and many have moved on.

Looks like Tesla just pulled the Model Y SR about a day ago. Unknown if will return for sale later. Some speculation that might mean the $7k GREEN Act tax credit many be materializing in the near future. That prospect alone might be good for you if you have the tax liability.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 that is not for sale regardless of what JD Powers and/or Consumer Reports claims. But since I doubt you own a Tesla or TSLA stock, by all means, don't buy one. After all, Autoline.TV recently reported Tesla has an 11 day backlog.

Bob Wilson

8. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Why in the world have you been implying (in recent posts) that a person should own a Tesla or at least Tesla stock in order to discuss them? That's an awfully odd perspective.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Owners have a insights that non-owners often ignore:
    • 2019 Tesla Std Rng Plus Model 3 - in freezing weather indicates ~4.2% loss from 240 mi to 230 mi after 35,000 miles
    • TSLA stock - went from split adjusted $60/share to $781/share on Friday
    I'm reminded of the old joke about a chicken and a pig who met for breakfast of bacon and eggs to discuss their problems with Farmer brown. The chicken was interested but the pig was committed.

Bob Wilson

10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, you are certainly committed. I sure hope that you understand that when stock is inflated by 1300% in one year, you'd better sell now. It's inflated by speculation and when it crashes, it will crash hard. Just like a Tesla 3 under auto pilot.

While owners MAY have insights that others ignore, the pig in your story was committed, and the chicken lived to see another day. It's a well known fact that people who make large purchases tend to glorify the product since acknowledging flaws makes it look like they made a poor decision. That's why you have Ford VS Chevy debates all over the civilized world.

Dan

orenji likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was postings like this in SeekingAlpha that led to doing fact-checking:
    A retired engineer, "source selection" was an important part of my work. So I looked not only at the car but also company practices and the SuperCharging network. Each played an important part on both investing and and purchases:
    1. Sandy Munro reviews of Tesla teardown.
    2. Elon Musk college degrees and early business practices.
    3. The SuperCharger network which continues to grow and meet my cross-country requirements.
    My personal history started in October 2005 when I bought a used, 2003 Prius and drove it 800 miles back to Huntsville that was also my 'test drive.' Another Munro review of the BMW i3 led to buying a used 2014 BMW i3-REx. Sad to say, I also bought a new, 2017 Prius Prime and it codified the hard requirements and was traded-in for the 2019 Model 3. Ownership teaches "lesson's learned" and what I'm doing today. So far, posting FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) has and continues to fail.

Bob Wilson

Dxta likes this.
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that this falls under a different category than manufacturing flaws, but it points to Tesla's main aspects as an industry disruptor.

Back in the days before they neutered themselves Jaguar was considered to be an upper-shelf luxury car, but no person EVER bought one of these cars thinking that they were going to enjoy 150,000 miles of trouble-free driving....or even 50,000 miles. Range Rovers sorta have that vibe too.
    It's not that the Brits universally build unreliable cars, the FRENCH actually do THAT without the upper-shelf price.
    Teslas are always compared with luxury sedans - which is curious when you consider the 3's middle shelf price point, but one thing is absolutely for sure. Every single automotive reviewer out there raves about the performance of Tesla's products...AND they also mention the 'hit-and miss', or 'questionable' build quality.....Just like they used to do with Jags.
    TSLA's stock price is high because...warts and all, they're going to sell every single car they build....nearly half a million last year.
    Unlike Gamestop (the 3rd most shorted stock that I know of) TSLA (the 2nd) HAS survived the crucible of market nay-sayers....just like Apple...the MOST shorted stock.

Evolution is sorta LIKE that.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    that 1300% is only 1300% if you look at the short-term. Tesla did a lot of very difficult groundwork to get where it is, and when you run the stock back through all of the years, weigh it against how much money gets fed back into the product & services (from nothing), you don't end up with the result necessarily that leads to certain demise anymore and the Amazon run-up will lead to a certain demise.
    This from a 2 Tesla - former owner that still has faith in the company - despite negative personal experiences.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's the price range of the BMW 3 Series.
    Which is what a friend traded in for a Model 3.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ..... & up until the early 1980's - BMW could hardly give dealerships away - in large part, due to the crappy wiring / reliability.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of two reasons that I DO NOT buy a BMW....or Range rover.....or many of the other "luxury sports" models is that they combine high price with lowER reliability.
    Everything is politically charged these days.
    There's only about three people in the United States that actually do real research with real numbers when reporting for media.
    The rest just copy what somebody else wrote, changing a few words here and there and maybe reordering the "data" according to their own prejudices.
    All REAL "researchers" that are not independently wealthy are influenced by wanting to eat and sleep indoors....so "science and data" fails in determining which cars are the "most reliable."
    However (comma!) you cannot hide trends.
    I recently looked at three (cough!!!) "reputable" sites for information on new model reliability and these tend to be Asian-built sedans.
    I've seen people in this very forum swear that they do not/would not subscribe to a certain "reputable" source WHILE using their data to buttress a point in a particular skirmish.

HAPPILY enough....if you want affordable, dependable transportation?
    Markets respond.
    There are a great many middle-to-bottom tier models that are inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to maintain, AND some of them are even inexpensive to operate......even in third world countries with inadequate power grids and confiscatory fuel and energy taxes.....:D

Even with 500,000 sales last year, a commendable number to be sure, Teslas are still something of a niche vehicle built for mostly dense urban commuters and EVangelists.
    Changing the world?
    Yep.
    However (comma!) I cannot afford to buy one (and I make union wages!!)
    I'm still a little hesitant on the 10-year reliability of these vehicles presuming that charging infrastructures continues to mature and I would not ALSO need a gasser for towing and my driving patterns in a state that has more than one season.

Like all disruptive technologies that have emerged since mineral oil put whalers out of business, the REAL "transformation" occurs when the new tech is democratized through competition and capitalization.
    THIS is why Apple----the company that I love to hate and hate to love, now offers new, Tier-1 sub-$400 phones and other connected devices and their newest flagship computer (for those that still buy such things) are less than $1000.

.....AND alternatives are even CHEAPER! ;)

#36 ETC(SS), Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    orenji and Merkey like this.
  17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tesla’s stock not looking to good today - huh?

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Never mind, “It is still available off menu”

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It’s like the secrete menu at In and Out - that’s a way to sell cars I guess.