1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Lite !! = Chevy Spark EV

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Bill Norton, May 31, 2015.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used a DCFC for the first time while running errands this weekend. My town has 14 DCFC stations and dozens of L2's, all FREE !
    Here are some pics of the 20 minute pitstop !

Begin:
    Begin.jpg

Thirsty Spark EV @ 44kW:
    T LITE.png
    20 minutes later:
    20 min later.jpg

Same price as a Tesla at a Supercharger, only less quantity:
    Same Price.jpg

This was at that big coffee purveyor, so I went in and bought a simple coffee, to be polite, and stared at my phone for awhile.

During the week I plug into an L2 at work to power the round trip. It is done by noon and I move it.
    I may never spend a dime on powering this fun little car!
    This is Living the Dream, Lite !!

I know about the Battery TMS and how it should be plugged in at <30° and >90° F.
    But is it that harmful to drive the car gently until the TMS gets the battery temp happy?
    There will always be long term parking situations where the car can't be plugged in, such as an airport.

#1 Bill Norton, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    fotomoto likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    54 miles in 20 min? pretty sweet, you're driving a spark?

3. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, Volt is gone and a Spark EV suits my driving needs perfectly.
    I still have an old 2001 gasser hybrid for vacation/lake house trips.
    I can see myself getting OCD with the Spark EV and saying in 6-12 months from now, "I haven't spent a dime powering this car".

I found a used one at a bargain price!

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wait a minute Bill, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Spark was a CARB compliant vehicle . . . so what are you doing with one out there in the proverbial middle of nowhere ? ?
    ;)
    Kidding aside, that's great you're charging for free, but what is your bottom line cost per kWh for electricity when you're @ home, just out of curiosity.
    One side note; wondering if you are the only Spark owner in your entire state ... because even here in So Cal, they're not that common ... much less the DC SAE/frankenplug.
    And yes .... you ARE like a mini Tesla ... getting your QC power for free .... only Tesla does it via contract ... your coffee shop can move the marker any time they feel like it .... and Teslas can charge @ about 3X the rate shown in your snapshot (advantage of mongo huge traction packs)
    ;)
    Keep up the good work supporting the companies that support QC's to draw in business!

#4 hill, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  5. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I should support the businesses involved in the DCFC network. I think the business offers the parking spot and space for the DCFC unit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But what can I do to say thanks to Nissan? Buy some donuts on friday for the local dealership?
    I think I'll just keep my mouth shut and my head low. I probably am the only Spark EV in the area. The only other car that can use the SAE Combo connector is the BMW i3, if it has the pricey DCFC option. The eGolf is not here yet. The Bolt (or whatever) will be here someday.
    I'm sure this network is mostly being used by Leaf's that have the ChadeMo DCFC option.

edit: And Tesla's, if they buy a $450 adapter cable, and if their car has the optional DCFC if it is a low level model. Actually, looking at comments on the Plugshare app there are lot's of Leaf's, i3's and a few Tesla's using the DCFC network in

I swear I'm not a hypermiler. I'm enjoying this silent, fast, fun little car.
    I have seen 94 miles indicated estimated range before. As always, it's a guessometer. It does not know how you will use the power during your drive. It is an active display, it will adjust to the way you are currently driving.

The trip data below is from my commute to work. A 180' gain in elevation, max of 50 mph, nice country route
    The 86 miles Range indicated is after charging at work, before the trip home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How often do you get so much more than what you signed up for? This is beating the EPA rating without even trying !!!

#5 Bill Norton, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no image.:(

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What year is it? The Spark EV did receive an updated battery at one point, but I don't think GM bothered to have it recertified for the EPA.

8. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It is a '14. It has the bigger battery pack with A123 cells but it uses less of the total capacity.
    The '15 has a smaller battery pack with LG cells, but uses more of it, so the EPA numbers stayed the same.

I've had the Spark EV over 2 months now and have not touched my hybrid gasser. I should take it out some time...
    Also, I have not spent a dime on powering the Spark EV since buying it.
    KC may be the most EV friendly city in the world !!!

#8 Bill Norton, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Trollbait and Zythryn like this.