1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla loses the race for mainstream EVs to GM

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another reason why I don’t read Forbes. After trade-in of a 2017 Prius Prime, our 2019 Tesla Model 3 Std Range Plus cost $24,000.

Bob Wilson

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I you had traded in your Ferrari, it would have cost you -$424,000. ;)

Isaac Zachary, ToyXW, mikey_t and 6 others like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am longing for the day of a truly affordable EV market. Yeah, GM is much closer to that day than Tesla for now. I just put my reservation for a SILVERADO EV... Will see how the ESTIMATED MSRP STARTING PRICE AT: $39,900 will hold. If what happened to the F-150 Lightning happens to this truck, then I will have to cancel the reservation. LOL

Gokhan likes this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tesla has been raising prices. Current RWD base is $46990. Current base Y pricing $65990.

REVVL V+ 5G ?

6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    If Ford pulls the trigger on a Maverick EV, they will have an absolute winner on their hands...IF people can actually get them at MSRP. The markups on Mavericks have been really disgusting to see...stealerships in action. :mad:

Pri3C likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is because they are selling every car they make and don't have a dealer network gouging with a shortage of plug-ins. Profit margins are fat, but investment is also very high.

If the race is for volume production, tesla has won, and the model Y may become the most popular vehicle in the world next year is Austin and Berlin factories get up to full speed.

They probably have their hands full with the cyber truck, roadster, semi truck to actually get an affordable bev out before 2025, but no one else will have enough batteries to sell such a vehicle outside of china. That affordable and quality bev likely has a 50kwh-60kwh liFePO4 battery and less expensive motors. In the US it should be easy to make a $35K great bev that qualifies for the $7500 tax credit by then. $27.5K after credit is very affordable. A Bolt EUV will cost even less if the dealers don't gouge after the new tax credit next year.

iplug, jzchen and Zythryn like this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My dad reminds me often of the 1980 when front wheel drive came into the mainstream. Prior to that, the mainstream was rear wheel drive vehicles. Now, rear wheel drive vehicles are more expensive that most front wheel drive ones.

The sam will eventually happen with BEV's taking over the older conventional ICE market.

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting 2023 Chevy Blazer EV $13k or so under the Model Y I had spec'ed..Pictures look nice. Closest FSD equivalent by subscription and limited to certain roads.

Hummer recall.

Tesla Canada possibility. Can Tesla management manage so many simultaneous efforts?

Toyota shutdown of multiple plants in Japan due to covid.

farmecologist likes this.
  10. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    GM will always be cheaper. They've sold dog boxes and unreliable engines for years ... because Americans buy them without learning their lesson. What will the true, real-world range be of that GM compared to the Model Y? My guess is a lot less - GM is only now jumping on the bandwagon after ignoring battery development and design for years.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if gm sells in quantity at an 'affordable' price before tesla, i will then believe the headline

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    if you - as a controlling board member, could set prices at just 50% of current rate, would you? even though they are being snapped up as fast as they can build them?
    or would you rather wait for a RAV4 Prime - only to find it marked up to a similar Tesla rate - once it's artificially jacked up by the stealer-ships.

#12 hill, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gm will too, if they ever make an ev worth buying

14. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Just like Leaf buyers, GM buyers will head into this completely uneducated, then end up unhappy with the range.

bisco likes this.
  15. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    t seems to me that Tesla has lost the battle simply because they are not in the game. They have only provided lip service to the development of a low cost car, and they keep making up excuses for not building one.

Several people on this thread have quoted range as a major problem when it comes to matching the desirability of a Tesla Y. It looks like a side effect the PHEV introduction has been that people are learning that the average driver does not need a fraction of that range for daily use. The need for more range during long distance drives is being handled by the building of fast charging stations. Even if they are a pain in the butt, they do enable cross country travel even when you have a smaller battery.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The shortest range GM EV is over 200 miles.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    how odd -searching for non Prius / non-Toyota articles ... and yet not too much earlier being hysterically annoyed that another was posting about the BMW i3. But personally, it would be great to post that Toyota was pulling ahead of Tesla. Yet that's going to be a hard row to hoe as a farmer would say, since the handfull of Toyota ev's that were recently delivered are now on recall. But speaking of recall - it's going to be a good trick for GM to catch Tesla with so many of their products on battery fire recall. Still - they'll figure it out eventually.

#17 hill, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  18. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another way to look at it is that on the way down from $100K+ cars to $25K - $35K they found a nice set of price points to pause at since there has been so little competition in terms of companies building desirable cars built at good prices and made in volume. So it is more important to build and deliver at the price points they have in order to bring in the cash to expand their manufacturing capacity and expand the Supercharging network.

Mike

Zythryn and hill like this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The cheaper Bolt could be very interesting option for some Virginians.

We have an annual car tax that is going nuts with used car values escalating, for example I am expecting my 2020 RAV4HV book price may be way over what I paid...we have to pay roughly 5% per year of value over $20k, a bit lower tax amount under $20k. My car should be approaching $20k value (lower tax bite) but now up to $32k and I only spent $28k on it.

20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And the '23 F150 Lightning gets longer range but a big, big price increase due to materials costs. At least they plan on opening up the order book though they have this years orders closed. Guess they read the proposed bill and decided to test the limit. Ford getting a lot of good press recently.

And Ferrari recalls all of the last 17 years worth of cars for a brake problem (actually a brake fluid tank cap problem but brake problem gets more headlines).