1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla loses Top Gear libel case

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 12, 2013.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen the portion of the episode. Do they later on in the show say just kidding? Or do others like me that see the clip get the same impression that they actually ran out of electricity? When you watch people pushing a car, do you think, yeah they like doing it for a shot its perfectly fine to drive.

Why do you like it and watch?

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No they did not say kidding, but you know what it is.
    Just like Jay Leno pretends to ask questions to the president and then uses sound bites of the president as the answers. Do you believe this is real?

I watched a few episodes just to find out what this is about and found out this is really an entertainment show and cannot be taken seriously.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well then I have even less respect for the BBC for defending the program in court and in the media. Certainly the press the BBC put out made it sound like top gear was not faking it. I'm sure if that was the case a simple retraction and clarification would have been fine and avoided a lawsuit. But anyway I as I said before I'm tired of arguing. I don't really understand what you are arguing with me about. You clearly should understand my point of view about the clips.

If you think that hit pieces on BEVs should be defended that is certainly your right. You know my position. If top gear would simply stop airing this stuff, or put type on it while airing this car is drivable it might be funnier. Perhaps you like clowns more than I do.

I never said I was a loyal viewer. I clearly stated that I had seen clips. I think your point is you like the clips. Hey watch them. Certainly nothing said here makes me want to tune in and see a full program. It might be less adversarial if you would preface your statement ' you admit to it" with BBC puts this on as a spoof program every week. They every week put out fake footage, and somehow this is a disclamer. I certainly think at least my favorite fake news host - John Stewart clearly shows which stories are fake and which are real, and the next day clarifies if some people think a fake story was real.

Three years after the original fake complaint they seemed to like the lawsuit so much that -
    Top Gear sorry for disabled parking row | Media | guardian.co.uk

It seems that consciously knew which lines might convict them of defimation in court, so they didn't question the range, just went for the pushing the bev shot, perhaps to stir the pot against bevs without getting caught crossing that line again. Probably the only thing williams needed to do was put out a statement like that when caught faking it in the tesla, and dub in the real stuff when rebroadcast. Instead of tesla said the range is this but we only got 55 miles, say tesla's range is this, but if we ran full out on a race track we think we would only get 55 miles. Simple stuff, the difference between being a f&cktard and an entertainer.