1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Model 3 vs Nissan Leaf 2.0 (2018)

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by prius_noob, Aug 3, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't have a dedicated parking spot for cu..kerb side charging?
    Building codes and regulations need to change in many areas to keep up with the potential of plug ins.

At least stateside, the American makes are mostly built in trims like the Japanese. They may have more optional packages though. Only the Europeans are still a la carte.

EV can cover any car with an electric drain. With fuel cells, FCEV, they don't even have to have a plug. That's why BEV is in use. The SAE also recognizes HEV for electric hybrids like the Prius, and to distinguish them from HHVs, vehicles with a hydraulic hybrid system.

All we have on the next Leaf is that sweet concept car, and Nissan's recent announcement about it being 200miles. So no informed decision can be made at this time. We actually don't have much more on the Model 3.

I think the Leaf and Bolt will be the better cost value than the 3. Specially once manufacturer incentives come into play. The Model 3 will likely be the only one with an AWD option, and one for longer range. All for higher price, but with the Supercharger network in the US, the Model 3 could be a replacement for an ICE car for more people than the other two.

I haven't talked to the wife about how she feels stopping at 2 to 3 Superchargers on the trips to my parents. The Model 3 is the only contender of the three because of the Superchargers. Otherwise, the Ioniq BEV has plenty of range for my daily commute, and I expect it to start at a price near that of the Prius.

prius_noob likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither is available and we don't know very much about either one yet.
    Either would meet my range needs.
    Long distance travel will be easier with the Model 3.
    All else being the same, I would go with the Model 3 to avoid car dealerships. I have no idea if dealers are as much a pain to deal with in the UK as they are in the USA, but for me, the direct sales model is an advantage.

prius_noob likes this.
  4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing but a concept whereas the look of the Model 3 is a known quantity. The original Leaf has the appearance of an insect.

The increased range is nice but without a fast charging network to match, I'm 100% in on the Model 3.

5. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the UK, I'm pretty sure you can plug in pretty much any EV car, across most motorways, though no, we don't have superchargers. I don't think we even have em for Teslas tbf as well

I tend to buy my car used from either private sellers or independent garages, so I wouldn't know either. At any rate, some dealerships are better than others

At any rate, I guess it looks like I should really ask this question around 2018 or so

6. TomSwift

TomSwift Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla is deploying superchargers in lots of places and the UK has between 30 and 40 supercharger locations up and running at this time. One can just about make a trip from Penzance to John o' Groats using the installed UK supercharger network now. A map showing locations that are open, under construction, and in a permit for construction stage can be found at:
    supercharge.info

prius_noob likes this.
  7. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tis fair enough. I didn't know that. The ONLY gripe I have with supercharging is that it well isn't that great for the battery, at least not currently. Currently, batteries rapidly charge up to 80% and then you get trickle charging from there on. It sure as hell is practical tho.

Though looking at this

How Fast Does A Tesla Supercharger Charge an Electric Tesla Model S? This Fast | Transport Evolved

It looks like it follows a similar principle. Though still, one hour for a further 300 odd miles, is quite some time. I mean it adds a whole hour on my already 4-5 hour journey

This being said, this is still obviously a hell of a lot better than the others that take around 4 hours to get to 80%. I imagine Tesla will also be charging for these eventually too? Ecotricity are charging £5 for 20 minutes use on their network. It might be the case that charging times are reduced ever still?

This also being said, if I got a driveway, the supercharging issue is less of an issue

#27 prius_noob, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It actually is better than that.
    For S and X owners, supercharging is free forever. For the Model 3, there will be some cost. We are unsure if it will be available as an option when buying the car, a subscription model, or a pay per charge option.

The SuperChargers have no measurable affect on battery packs.

What is the distance of your travel? Depending upon what type of roads you travel and how fast that could be anything from 200-500 miles.
    The quickest way to travel is not to drive to empty and then to a full charge. It is much quicker to drive almost to empty, and then get a half charge (or just enough to get to the next supercharger).
    This allows each stop to take only 20-30 minutes typically and avoid the slower charging when the charge is tapering off.

prius_noob likes this.
  9. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tbh I used to go from north>south at least once/month. Now I've decided to go back up north, because the south is depressing when it comes to house ownership... SO it used to be a 460 mile round trip. I'm hoping now however it will be a lot less. I'm hoping that I could in theory even have say... a Nissan leaf if I so wanted, but that'd be really pushing it at it's limits I think

I'd say around 120 miles return would be my average (long term) future usage. I plan on buying a house, which is within an hour of three major cities, one minor city, and one town where there seems to be IT jobs for some weird reason

And yeah I get that, if they follow a similar sty;e we have now with batteries, which it appears to be ie: rapid charge up to 80%, and trickle charge thereafter. This also being said, I am probably going to buy a BEV, when the prices come under around 5K (used), mainly because I don't like spending thousands to have something depreciate by thousands :D

I wouldn't mind so much if houses went down as a whole, across the UK however that's mainly because "Well that house over there still only costs x amount more" if I wanted to move in to it

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    real estate tends to be more costly around the larger cities here.

11. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Likewise but the UK (and more specifically England) is such a small country that you are only ever about an hour away from any major city

When I was in the midlands (middle of England) it took me an hour to go visit my friend in Wales but 2 hours to go to my parents. It did also take around 2 hours to get absolutely any where (in England and Wales) which was pretty nice!

London is just ridiculously expensive. Manchester in the north of England is slowly becoming like that :( So I guess it is a case of buying a house...not in Manchester where houses are affordable still

bisco likes this.