1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Model 3 Wheel Swap

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Xov’ze, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Does anyone know if the 18” model 3 wheels would fit reasonably on a Prius?

I recently got my 2023 xle and I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the stock 19” rims, plus I like the look of the tesla aero wheel covers—unpopular opinion, I know. Doing some research, both wheels use the same bolt pattern, but my concern is that the model 3 rims are significantly wider than the prius’ (8.5 for the model 3 vs 6.5 on the prius) and I’m concerned about clearance issues with the suspension and potential rubbing on the wheel wells when turning.

Thoughts, suggestions? I don’t know anyone with a model 3 or I’d test the fitment myself

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I think the recommendation is to not go any wider than 7.5" and even then, depending on the tire size and the offset of the wheels, you may get some rubbing. I recall reading recently on another thread where someone had some slight rubbing using 7.5 rims. I'll have to look for it. You can go to Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com to get a better idea on the change from the Prius wheels to the Tesla wheels.

3. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I had a feeling that would be the case, I’ve been using those sites for spedometer calcs, but I’m not confident in my ability to measure the clearances for fitment has anyone documented the clearances for a prius xle yet?

4. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I used a couple articles and videos on YouTube to figure out how to calculate front space and back space and how that relates to the offset and max wheel width that will fit for my prime xse premium.

One article I found helpful IDIOT'S GUIDE TO WHEEL FITMENT breaks it down pretty well. Pretty simple to get measurements especially on the back of the car once it is broken down.

Another article on the topic I found helpful Tire Size and Wheel Offset – Decisions, Decisions.

One more article I read on the topic was Can I Put Larger Tires and Wheels on My Vehicle.

As far as videos go How to Measure for Aftermarket Wheels is pretty thorough and helpful.

I found it pretty easy once I had a clearer idea what I was doing.

PrishopAWD and Xov’ze like this.
  5. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    https://www.priuschat.com/threads/aftermarket-wheel-fitment-guidelines.194485/

This guide was really helpful for me in picking out an OEM style wheel. The first post by Rob has everything. Especially useful is the part a) link. That was the calculator I used.

I picked an OEM size wheel for my prime this way. 17x7.5 with a 48mm offset. Wrapped them with an normal tire size. 225/45 R17

Raymond Smith and otatrant like this.
  6. Raymond Smith

Raymond Smith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    Limited
    Can You suggest me another prius for the winters here in Canada?

7. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Upd8 Y’all! My uncle had a set of banged up (curb rash out the wazoo) Model 3 wheels he was trying to get rid of so I finally got to test the fitment!

No issues with clearancing the suspension, and no rubbing in the wheel wells. So, I’m majorly relieved on that front. The only issue I can see is that the wheels do poke past the fender ever so slightly; not enough to be terribly noticeable, but I know thats a concern with fitment.

I’ll come back with pictures once the sun comes back up in my area

8. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'd take anything said not specific to the Gen5 with a grain of salt, your mileage will vary! I've been shopping for wheels for about a few months now. I have watched every video coming out of the Japanese aftermarket shops and they been putting wheels from 17x7.5 all the way up to 20x9" with various offsets with zero fitment issues even on VERY low cars. The Gen5 has generous space in the fenders inside and outside you just have to get the offset in the ballpark for the ride height and look you want.

Looking at the specs of the Model 3 wheels (18x8.5 +40) at glace I bet these would fit no problem on a stock height car however you might not necessarily get the fitment you want. (poke, fender gap) Or maybe you're not as picky as me? The 235/45R18 stock tire size for the Tesla is however a very close match to the stock Prius sizes overall diameter, the speedo cal difference would be negligible and I wouldn't worry about it. (0.9% error at 60mph)

I'd suggest watching this closely. (with translation on if you don't speak Japanese:ROFLMAO:)

9. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As promised: a picture

I don’t yet have the aero covers to go along with them, but between the curb rash and the fact that these show off the painted calipers better, I’m probably going to opt for an aftermarket cover that just hides the scrapes while keeping the general shape

wrtboy168, Roqu3, HacksawMark and 2 others like this.
  10. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    They look pretty good, I doubt anyone not knowing would say they're Tesla wheels. Can you post a pic from the front, rear, top to show how much they poke out?

11. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Can’t believe I didn’t think to do this; clown behaviour

the poke is VERY slight in the front:

and pretty much unnoticeable in the back:

Roqu3 and PhoS like this.
  12. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Nice, thanks! Those are a good match to the car. It seems like +35 to +40ish is the sweet spot. You could always fine tune a with a small spacer.

13. Chi_weezy

Chi_weezy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hey any ribbing under full lock or big dips? I’m considering a similar size setup

14. Chi_weezy

Chi_weezy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  15. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Small upd8: finally caved and got some actual tesla covers
    IMG_7146.jpeg
    (pic also featuring some other mods/decals)

wrtboy168 likes this.
  16. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Nothing from turning the wheel! I would have to jack the car up to check the full suspension travel range but I haven’t had any rubbing issues driving in city or on the highway

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, the wheels look much better without the covers. But I've never liked most of the covers on wheels.

SM-G781V ?

18. YELLOW PRIUS KOREA

YELLOW PRIUS KOREA New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a question, I would like to raise the ground level, or to fit the 1955019 pure size.

Is it possible to drive without obstacles or contacting the bottom? What is the size of the tire?

I'm thinking about Tesla Model 3 wheels with you. Likewise.

I'm also curious about the hub ring and size.

19. Xov’ze

Xov’ze New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Currently i have 235/45r18 tires, they’re only slightly smaller than the stock 195/50r19s so the ride height is pretty similar, and i’ve had no issues with ground clearance or scraping

I’m not certain what you mean by hub ring? The bolt pattern for the tesla rims are the same as the stock prius rims, but they use different lug nuts/studs so you’ll have to find a set of lugs that fit the prius studs (m12x1.5 i think?) and seat correctly (iirc the tesla rims use acorn seats but double check)

20. SMOGBERT

SMOGBERT New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    any rubbing while street driving now that youve had it for awhile?