1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Model S: 300 Mile Range Seven Seat EV Sedan for under $50k

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 26, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer an OEM option just b/c of my location (semi-remote) and b/c of the more rigorous (presumably) safety and testing it will undergo. And the time frame actually works out ideally for me with my plan to go on sabbatical in 2010 returning in Spring of 2011. May have to pick up a 'bridge' vehicle until the Tesla is actually delivered.

2. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Tesla unveils four-door electric sedan

:cheer2: Wish I was you...

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Awesome!!!!
    I think I'm going to wait a year or two to see how the reliability and dependability is, and if is good, I will trade in whatever I might own at the time for one of these. All the features and specs and looks of this car are awesome!!!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    waiting to see how it goes is tempting but im afraid that if it goes well, we could wait an additional year or more on a waiting list.

also complicated by the fact that both the RAV 4 EV conversion and the Tesla are the same price. i was thinking the RAV 4 was more expensive but i guess the 50 K price is after the $7500 rebate for EV's

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Availability will depend heavily on how fast they can be produced. If they get a full scale production facility built they could put them out fairly quickly. If not it could be a one at a time thing like the Tesla Roadster and we all wait forever.

I just think the market for a luxury sedan in the $60k price range (realistically by the time you get the accessories and battery you want) that is also an EV is going to be fairly small. I think the market for even a conventional car in that price range is pretty small and there are people that simply won't trust a BEV.

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read a story by a reporter of an interview with Tesla people. There are some points I found that are not covered in most news reports.

- the "below $50K" price tag is for base model. i.e. 160 mile range. For 300-mile range, you have to purchase an "upgraded battery pack" for unknown $$$. This makes sense since the
    current battery only lasts 250-mile on a lighter roadster. For 300-mile range, you probably will have TWO battery packs, each for 1000#.
    - the current warranty on the Tesla battery is only 4yr/50K. The battery costs $30K (today's San Jose Mercury news). 1000# each.
    - The Model S has no stability control. Tesla does not think you need it.
    - Model S is not a sedan. It is a hatchback. Therefore, you could fit two more rear-facing kids behind the 2nd row.

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that is true, then the info on their home page is misleading since it lists the "$49,900"price in the same statement as "300 mile range."

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, Ceric pointed out what I came here to say as well. The ad copy is misleading, and we're trying to get Tesla to change it. The way it stands now, it sounds like the 300 mile car will cost $50k, and that you can charge it in 45 minutes from a standard outlet. :( Not true. Great car, but not THAT impossibly great!

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree that the article means the 160 miles for $50,000 which at today's prices is just about right and all the range i would need for nearly all the driving i would do. but still 2 years away. to be honest with ya, i think in 2 years there will be several good viable options out there.