1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Model S 60-kW-h Version Rated at 94/97 MPGe, Goes 208 Miles - WOT on Motor Trend

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jsfabb, Dec 11, 2012.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! Same thoughts.
    Serious answer, you can't recharge with 120v. You can get a minor emergency top up to get you to a real charging station, but that's it. Perhaps the inlaws have a 240v that's accessible from their garage or something.

My parents have a 20 amp line I can access, but even that's not going to be very helpful--looking at 24 hours from empty (or more) to recharge. But they live around 100 miles away, so I can probably make the trip in my Model S on a charger or a charge with a minimal top-up.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We need to start adding all the RV parks onto PlugShare.

240V/50A is fairly standard, along with a wifi hotspot and a friendly group of people with stories from across the country.

adding a zipcar or car2go to a 240V opportunity makes sense as well.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

do 100k cars and trailer parks really work together? :)

lensovet likes this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, many Tesla Roadster, and Model S owners have made cross country trips using RV parks. They have mostly gotten quite warm, if curious receptions:)

lensovet likes this.
  5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, the KOA web site has a nice trip planning function, but most of the other Plug Share type apps do not include RV parks at all...there's not one app or site that I've been able to find that has all 3 of the 1)RV parks, 2)Public EV chargers, 3)Private homes with NEMA 14-50 or other charger types. There are a number with #2 & #3 above, but none with all 3.