1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla Model X Not Nearly As Successful As It Should’ve Been

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 6, 2017.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if you redesigned the Audi Q7 as is to have the model 3 electronics and frunk, Lexus reliability, then you have an absolute killer Lux performance SUV. I don't think audi will do those things as well as the model Y, but audi has years to sell before that comes out. This might cut into model X sales, but tesla will be selling the model S and 3 as fast as they can make them. Then again it might make sense for audi to just pay Tesla to do it for them (I am sure that couldn't happen before 2019). I expect by 2021 with the gigafactory and the model 3, teslas cost will be much lower than audi's and tesla can either use that lower cost to sell more or to earn profit. Less than bullish on the stock, because I think they will use it to sell more bevs.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My impression is both Audi and VW are great at showing lots of 'concepts' without a product run. Of course they may be just selling them in the EU and not the USA.

Tesla may have trouble meeting announced dates but they keep showing up with product.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    VW does well in china, and vw expects to sell 2M bevs to china in 2025. Audi is really good at the luxury SUV, so I have no doubt they will have one fairly soon, but I have no idea if there current date is realistic. Tesla may need to manufacture, or at least assemble in china, for the chinese domestic market, but by 2025, I expect that to happen, and the model Y and model 3 will sell great in that market. I would not be suprised if china ups the numbers in there planned economy, but even at 2M, if telsa gets a 20% of what vw projects for itself in Chinese bevs, that is 400K teslas in china alone, which is plenty to greatly increase their R&D and cost advantages for long distance, quick charging bevs. This is the main reason I don't see the negative scenario of tesla folding up shop. They may even partner in china in solar roofs, greatly reducing costs of good looking reliable solar roofs for new construction and roof replacement.

While VW was pushing diesels, and toyota fuel cells, tesla was proving plug-ins make the most sense in an expensive oil future. If oil stays cheap, I still expect the US and Chinese plug-in market to grow rapidly, but not the ROW.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :confused:
    In order for the X to have been as successful "as it should have been" .... perhaps the author Steve Loveday feels that in stead of beating "ONLY" 32 out of ~ 35 plug in models -
    ..... it apparently would have needed to beat 33 or 34 out of 35 models

[​IMG]

Sorry your glass is only ½ full there, Steve.
    He reminds me of the basketball fan who never got of his recliner-chair to play 5 on 5 in his entire life ... yet he'd freely tell you every day, what Phil Jackson did wrong as a coach during his entire career.

austingreen and bisco like this.
  5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To be fair, in such a crossover-crazy market, if the Model X hadn't been supply constrained, it probably would've been much further up the list.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i was thinking, such an unfair hatchet job article.