1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla public charging stations

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Sooner Al, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    From the FWIW department and South Padre Island, Texas...

I ran across this last evening when we meet some friends for dinner. This is a three (3) array Tesla charging station at the Hilton Garden Inn on South Padre Island, Texas. I had never seen this so I thought it interesting.

Attached Files:

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those are destination chargers; the same ones used at homes. Tesla might give the EVSE free to a hotel that asks.

Sooner Al likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Those charging stations may or may not be open to the public. Some places reserve use for patrons. That restriction will be noted on Tesla's map.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One would also need an adapter until some company takes up Tesla on their offer to share their patents/charging network.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Do the destination chargers only activate upon VIN recognition (effectively defeating attempts to manufacture an adapter) the way superchargers do?

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sorry for quoting my self - but since the mods or Danny have changed the edit rules where you CAN'T ... after a relatively short time, I had to go about it in the way of funk ;
    Actually, the Tesla portable/home charger runs at about 40amps (~10kW's) whereas the high power wall units do about twice that level on the older (80amp) dual charger model S's. A tad less than that, on their 72 amp chargers.
    I still haven't been able to find an answer to my question above, but I'm guessing HP wall chargers are probably not linked to VIN's the way superchargers are ... at least for now.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know for a fact, but I would guess they are just dumb chargers that have no communication with Tesla corporate.