1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla S Sedan: ultimate 10K$ upgrade, 200$ fillup lasts about 40KM

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by rwyckoff, Jul 14, 2012.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Translation: they didn't measure the total energy budget correctly.

If even a fraction of the reported "anomalous" heat had been created by hydrogen fusion, the accompanying neutrons would have killed the experimenters.

2. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats why they call it Low Energy Nuclear Reactions. Around a centimeter of lead shielding blocks the Gamma Rays. It's claimed that copper is produced.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nickle + Hydrogen => Copper + energy.
    Extra energy is not really needed to show the reaction happened, but the existence of the copper. In one of those links they said the isotope of copper from rossi was not what would be expected, but the number of neutrons should be conserved.

No reason for anyone to die in the reaction, we have had hot fusion happen in the lab without ill effects, but the problem is sustaining the reaction at a safe rate.

4. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My prediction is that cold fusion will eventually be shown to exist. But it will take a power supply the volume of Lake Superior to light a hundred watt bulb.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The MIT proof of concept experiment is quite small. There are likely problems with reliability and/or cost if this turns out to be real, but no reason it would be bigger than current power plants.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Real technical breakthroughs are hush-hush, eaten up by VC until it's time to cash in with a stock market IPO. If the public is given early pre-pre-pre info and asked to step up with cash, caveat emptor.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    History has shown that new physics mixed with new technology fully working right out of the lab has no historical precedents that I know of. Production level performance of known technology devices like batteries, fuel cells, ICE engines, etc. take an ENORMOUS amount of development and optimization. It just amazes me that the same old "we have a fully working production whatever using this newly discovered blah blah blah coming soon". Heck, even the light bulb was famous for the engineering evolution required to make it useful.

To integrate ANY power source to a production car takes many years. Period......and that's after a prototype has been fielded.

Braddles.au likes this.
  8. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rossi's claims is that he has spent many years getting his proto-type perfected and ready to manufacture, and Lenr Cars has not said anything about how long it will take to develope his Lenr S Sedan upgrade.

According to Rossi UL Laboratories, who are evaluating Rossi's 10kw thermo unit, has demanded in the last few days that the unit be allowed to be re-fueled only by licensed Co. personel. They probably fear people will be exposed to toxic Nikel powder, and or having thousands/millions of these fuel units end up in land fills.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, I am sure that the Lenr S is just a publicity stunt. Its not going to be a good platform for a heat generator. Please send your LENR to italy or Palo Alto when it runs out of nickel won't be a selling point.

It would be really cool if they produce any device that worked though.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    There's WAY too much respitory damaging fine particulate as well as C02 from those sources. My system runs on the laughter of children and happy thoughts about puppies.

Yep - If I had 2¢ for every research dollar spent on cold fusion and hydrogen cars, I could buy solar PV systems for all the family members of PC members and still afford to retire 10 years early living like Bill Gates.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unicorn farts provide much more power than natural gas, and produce no pollution when burned. They also have a pleasant smell. Unfortunately they are hard to find.

Children produce CO2 out their mouth, and methane out of their backside and all types of pollution. Running a car on children's laughter is much more polluting than running it on coal. They also eat a great deal of resources, and often grow up to be nasty smelly creatures. Sure its fine to keep 1 or 2 as a pet, but don't have enough to run your car.

fusion my friend, that is the ticket to recharge your car in the 22nd century.:)

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If I keep swiming my laps & getting yearly physicals - I'll be lucky to make it to the year 2050 or 2060. Guess I'll miss it by measly half century. dang

SGH-I717R ? 2

austingreen likes this.
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is one of the latest from laser based fusion
    PW 2012: fusion laser on track for 2012 burn

When I was in undergraduate, I worked in the plasma lab. The timing seemed like it would be 25-50 years. Now IMHO its 5-100 years, we don't seem to be making progress in a linear fashion. I'm pessimistic but hopeful. I would love it if one of these ideas made it out of the lab and into production, even if it was only in a single $100M tesla lenr S.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You think faerie farts and pixie dust pollute? Check out what small children and puppies leave behind them.

austingreen likes this.
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LLNL? When I was working at FMC in San Jose in the late 1970s one of our divisions was building some humongous magnets for a fusion project at LLNL.

We had had fusion devices for 10 years when I was in the USAF in the 1960s. I heard they would put out an unbelievable amount of power for a few microseconds but suffered from serious pollution problems.

ftl and FL_Prius_Driver like this.
  16. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK. It took me about 5 seconds to realize that you were being 100% factually accurate. Man I'm slow.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I just worked in a Tokamak lab at my university, not at a national lab. You can get power, but can't control the reaction well. This leads to damaged equipment and lots of down time. I did get to hear about all the progress and challenges though.

Your air force devices didn't need much control as they were only for 1 use. :)