1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Sand Bagging the Model 3 Again?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the way, the second one is impossible in any Tesla, including the new roadster.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would agree except we only have one fast DC charger in Huntsville. When returning home from out of town, I use it to bring SOC to low 90%. Then I drive home where my L2 charger, ~20% per hour, can finish it.

Speculation, perhaps the SuperChargers should cut off when the remaining charge can be handled in say one hour on an L2 charger? To goal is to keep the SuperChargers handling high power recharge and let the taper charge be done at home or a bar shopping center.

Bob Wilson

3. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @el Crucero, I agree with this. Please remember that this is a Prius message board, and the people here are likely in the top 10% in terms of environmental consciousness. You should be preaching to the choir here, not berating them.

I also watch the F150 forums occasionally, and trust me, most pickup truck owners are very happy to re-tune the ECUs to burn additional gas to make more power. They do that so they can tow their boat to the lake on weekends, where they can burn even more gas, but this time mixed with 2-stroke oil and burned in an ICE with minimal if any emissions controls. Nobody on those boards is talking about global warming or getting away from fossil fuels. I nominate you to be our emissary to these truck forums to spread the message of fossil fuel free transportation to those who most need to hear it :)

iplug and hill like this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    one nice thing about the mobile evse that comes w/ the car - it includes an 14-50 adapter, like most RV / campgrounds have. Those will let the car charge at over 33 miles/hour .... no where near the supercharger rate - but significantly faster than typical 30A-208V chargers that we find around here (that often get pulled down to ~203V due to area loads.). Plug share, filtered for available 14-50 sockets in Bob's area show a nice availability .... good to know - in case of emergencies.

[​IMG]

#64 hill, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would add something:
    You know @el Crucero, your are needed at insiders.com where an i-Pace troll is tossing sand at Tesla and the Model 3. He takes every opportunity to denigrate Musk, Tesla cars, and Musks companies. Furthermore, he claims to be a contractor and speed boat mechanic, not own an EV ,and may have once owned a Volt. I understand he recently bragged about making money from short-selling Tesla. He claims to have ordered an i-Pace for an October 19 delivery. I had to put him on my ignore list just to turn down the snark.

One of the ironies in life, this anti-Tesla troll got me to read the Tesla SEC filings. Unlike your rants, he did more to boost Tesla than your efforts here.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can recommend the NEMA 14-50 at the Space and Rocket Center. The only problem is the parking spot is often occupied by an ICE. However, the have a shady tree populated, RV park area but I don't know the costs.

FYI, I replaced my BMW i3-REx L1 with a 120-240 VAC, 8-32 A, EVSE. It means I can charge the 31 A limited BMW i3-REx anywhere (7.2 kW ~= 29 mi/hr.) But there is one thing about PlugShare that bothers me.

Many L2 chargers are amp limited with no external or PlugShare documentation. The 16A ones are the worst. There is a second EV route to Nashville via Pulaski and Columbia:
    • ~50 mi HSV to Pulaski - charge for ~1.5 hours
    • ~30 mi Pulaski to Columbia - charge for ~1-1.5 hours
    • ~45 mi Pulaski to Nashville - fast DC chargers
    So 127 mile trip, normally a 2 hour drive would take up to 3 hours of L2 charging at 31A to reach Nashville. Run into an undocumented, 16A L2 and this becomes one-way, a full day.

Bob Wilson

#66 bwilson4web, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The model 3 was revealed on 3/31/2016. The first cars were delivered to Tesla employees in July, 2017, 15 months later. The model 3 was available by Tesla for test drives in May, 2018. If you belonged to one of the many Tesla fora, many of the initial model 3 owners made their cars available for test drives much sooner. I had a test drive in a model 3 in December, 2017 even though I could have done it sooner if I desired.

The model S has been available for test drive with no wait at the Tesla gallery for over 5 years now.

Bob, let's work together to dispel a lot of the misinformation regarding not only Tesla but all BEVs. I would like to see you seriously consider a BEV within the near future, if not a Tesla than another maker (I wish it could be Toyota). Initial anecdotal reports on the Jag I-Pace are promising with some serious limitations:
    • cost is around $90k for initial cars
    • interior passenger space is very tight, less than in the model 3
    • "autopilot" is much more unpredictable than Tesla
    • Jaguar reports range at over 250 miles yet initial, unprofessional test show less than 200 miles at an average 55 mph
    • charging is very slow at class 2 chargers, something like two hours
    • Without access to a Supercharger system, I-pace is best suited as an "around town" car
    I am reserving judgement until more professional tests can be completed. i would like to see Jaguar become a viable alternative in the BEV market.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Like I said, in jest, the waiting list in 2016 was too long.
    This is PriusChat and we're a pretty clever and informed group. But every now and then we'll have some come with an ax to grind:
    • 2005-2008 :: random gasser owners who wanted to trash-talk our 'ugly' Prius or fake reports like "Dust-to-Dust" that claimed the Hummer was more fuel efficient over its lifetime than the Prius.
    • 2009-2014 :: the TDI era when a stream would come to claim higher mileage than EPA (true due to cheat) and wonderful ride to a bunch of skin-flint Prius owners who beat them in ordinary driving.
    • 2015-2017 :: the Hyundai time where it was to be the next Prius.
    • 2016-current :: many of us, including me, are joining the PiP and plug-in pioneers.
    We have $10s of thousands of dollars sitting on our driveways that we want to optimize. Over time, our rides will reach a point where maintenance and reliability becomes a problem. By then, the technology will have advanced enough where we can adopt. But overselling does not work well here as the 'random gassers', TDI, Kia/Hyundai, and others learned.

You can't brow-beat us out of our rides but leading by example (aka., @hill, @john1701a, @Lee Jay) does work.

Bob Wilson

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ]

rv cost info (if any) may just be a phone call away. As for the plug spot being iced, my handy-dandy 10' foot 14-50 customized extension cord comes into play;
    NEMA 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 6-50R Adapter, 10 ft. – EVSE Adapters

Between that bad boy & the nice long portable evse (knock on wood) - never had an issue.

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When you can't debate the issues with facts, then then resort to insults, denigration, and sarcasm. Bob, I expected more from you.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you call a recitation of the facts as brow-beating, then so be it.

12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can't agree when members of this forum say that driving a hybrid is "good enough."

13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can't agree when members of this forum say that driving a hybrid is "good enough."

14. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then quite frankly, you DO sound like a religious fundamentalist.

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd drive an EV if they were good enough. But they aren't - the range is too short, the charging infrastructure is too sparse, the cost is too high, and the longevity is too low. So I drive the next best thing - a plug in hybrid.

Someday, EVs will probably be good enough for my type of usage.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Preach on Brother!
    Our Prius Prime easily roll +600 miles before refueling . . . at least two biology breaks.
    No SuperCharger at Fort Smith AR and I'm in the short range country.
    Agreed, $25k would be fair since it comes closest to our Prius Prime.

Source: Watch Tesla Model S Go Airborne After Speeding Over Railroad Tracks

Bob Wilson

tpenny67 likes this.
  17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And you sound like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @tpenny67 thinks you sound like a religious fundamentalist! :LOL:

Yes, you are correct if you are looking for a car with 600 mile range, a charger on every street corner, costs less than $30K, and will run for longer than an ICE. But wait! The Tesla can go cross country with convenient charging infrastructure. I have a charger in my garage and you can too. Now when you figure in the TCO of a PHEV and the loss of polar ice caps, ocean reef systems, extinction of endangered species, cost of environmental disasters and cost of increased health care caused by global warming climate change.......the $35K model 3 is comparatively affordable. Longevity? Tesla model S has gone 400K miles without any significant repairs or replacements. The next best thing is just not good enough anymore.

19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It sounds like a religious fundamentalist revival meeting.

And you can "refuel" your Tesla for 15 to 30 minutes while you take those two biology breaks (you will need to eat twice in that time period) and go further than 600 miles

A Supercharger is planned for Ft. Smith. In the meantime, Ft. Smith has a free, public L2 charger availalble.

A stripped down, bare bones Prime starts at $27.3K. When you compare to the TCO, a model 3 with 10x the features of that Prime, is less expensive.

Cleaning out some of the FUD.

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Inconvenient charging infrastructure - very slow, not in a lot of places. You can't compare charging infrastructure to current refueling infrastructure - 3 minutes for 600 miles almost anywhere versus 2 hours for 600 miles in only a few places. It's not close.

So do I. So what? I already said they were fine in-town. Overkill, actually. In the last 17 months I've never needed more than 60 miles of range when I didn't leave town.

The TCO of the Prime will be lower than the TCO of a Model 3 by far. For one thing, I'll need to own another car just for out-of-town trips. Secondly, insurance is cheaper on the Prime. Finally, Toyota's maintenance costs are lower. The lifetime maintenance cost on my 2004 Prius was under 3 cents a mile, and that was dominated by tires.[/quote]

And yet, I just saw one from a guy in my town who needed a new battery at 143,000 miles because his became defective, and stranded him for six hours in the middle of the night. And has anyone owned a Tesla for the 13 years I owned my last Prius to see how it does with calendar time?

bwilson4web likes this.