1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Sand Bagging the Model 3 Again?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, for YOU. And this is fine. For many, many others, it works just fine. For some, it works better than anything they have ever driven.
    This is why there are options on the market, you get what works best for you. We will get what works for us :) And we will let the market decide just how big a market there is for each type of needs.

iplug likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, not just for me. For anyone who might want their car to take them on a route not currently supported by chargers, whether Superchargers, destination chargers, or other networks.

Interestingly, 3 of the 4 legs that I went on that no Tesla could have followed me on could have been possible with the addition of just destination chargers. Superchargers would not have been necessary.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is true, however the number of routes not supported by chargers is small. Congratulations on finding a couple :)
    The charger infrastructure will continue to grow. As is now, it supports more people than currently own EVs. As long as the infrastructure continues to stay ahead of the market share everything is good.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (sigh) There's a graph somewhere here on PC - posted to show US driver's making frequent multi 100 mile 'trips' (not daily commutes) versus regular non daily-multi 100 mile commutes. Wish I could find the graph. It was hockey stick shaped. Ultimately it revealed those who either regularly AND/or frequently take the multiple 100's of miles trips are those who make up just a fraction of 1%. So yes, then there are those fraction of the fraction - who even do that minority drive, in areas with no DC QC capability.
    Please please please recognize them ... give them affirmation - that we KNOW already - that yes there is that fraction of a fraction. Otherwise I fear PC readers will never hear the end of it. and they may wana hang themselves

To that fraction, please - do NOT buy a long range EV. Do not consider it. Do not even think about considering it. Do not even think that anyone would ever even think that anyone would think that this minority would think about it.

#124 hill, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  5. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah but it typically forces you to go through some pretty high traffic density areas to get to your destination. It means giving up the flexibility to take another route if there's a 30+ minute delay due to an accident. I don't drive by any superchargers regularly, but it's pretty difficult to go anywhere and not pass multiple gas stations.

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dependence on the oil industry is America's current drug of choice (speaking metaphorically). Changing and moving beyond our dependence on oil for the last 100 years is difficult for many people. Changing habits, personal patterns, ways of thinking, and depending on the status quo is certainly easier than expanding personal horizons, a horizon that holds promise for an even better future if not for ourselves immediately, for our progeny. As one truly great American said just today, "The status quo pushes back. Sometimes the backlash comes from people who are genuinely, if wrongly, fearful of change." Don't be afraid of change, embrace it, rejoice in it, grow with it, and step into the FUTURE.

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's not the case. It's not about chargers versus cars needing charges, it's about chargers cover all the surface area where there are roads.

This is also irrelevant. It's not about that, it's about whether your car covers 100% of your needed trips, or less than that. If it's less, you need another car, whether that's a second car or a rental. Needing a second car, even for infrequent trips, greatly reduces the value of the first car.

This is why a 300 mile EV is worth less than $10k to me - I'd need another car to cover the 2-3% of my days where the EV would fail.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You do realize I own a Prius Prime, and use its EV range for 99% of my in-city driving. It's just nice to be able to leave town once in a while, and go anywhere I want to. Can't do that with an EV yet.

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here is the map of MA with current SuC locations (red), planned SuC locations (gray), and destination chargers (black). The locations will expand as more Teslas are built.

Untitled.jpg

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Then what is your beef with those of us who can go anywhere we want to in a Tesla?

Trollbait likes this.
  11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lying to others about their capabilities.

tpenny67 likes this.
  12. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I looked at that before posting, and I would have to go slightly out of my way to charge. Getting off a busy exit to fight my way to a charging station at a mall, for example. That is how things are today. Why does it bother you that a BEV would cause me a certain amount of inconvenience today when BEVs are production limited?

More charging stations in more rural (not as urban) areas would eliminate this concern of mine. So would a BEV with a 400 mile range, as all charging would happen at home. I fully expect one or both to happen by the time my Prius is dead of old age.

iplug and bwilson4web like this.
  13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You continue making stuff up.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

My requirements analysis showed a long-range, Model 3 could make a trip to an elderly relative's funeral but it would take an extra 3 hours. When the Fort Smith AR SuperCharger is installed, any of the Teslas could make that time critical trip.

IMHO, @Lee Jay correctly pointed out there are routes not supported today by SuperChargers from his recent experience. I also know how to reach my elderly relatives once the Fort Smith AR SuperCharger is operational. Then I can get any Tesla, new or used but @Lee Jay needs more SuperChargers. One at Carlsbad NM would work.

Bob Wilson

15. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How is that different than getting off a busy exit to fight your way to a gasoline station at a busy intersection?

You can get a Tsla model 3LR (310 miles range) within 4 weeks or less of today. You can get a Chevy Bolt (238 mile range) on a stealer's lot today.

If all charging is going to happen at home, I don't see why a 310 mile range wouldn't work equally as well for daily driving.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The engineering term is "managing user expectations." Over promising is bad.

Bob Wilson

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also correctly pointed out that I could make that trip to Carlsbad in a model 3LR and it would take me at most 45 minutes more for the round trip.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's see using @Lee Jay trip:
    • 207 mi - Westminster CO to Trinidad CO
    • 195 mi - Trinidad CO (*) to Santa Rosa NM
    • 215 mi - Santa Rosa NM to Carlsbad NM
    • . . . seek high current chargers: NEMA 14-50, one in either RV park
    • 215 mi - Carlsbad NM to Santa Rosa NM
      • 119 mi shortfall
      • No other SuperChargers are within the remaining 96 mi range.
    You can reach Carlsbad NM but the problem is the return trip. Plugshare shows two, NEMA 14-50 plugs at separate RV parks. You'll have to call and negotiate or reserve access. Given the temperature extremes, these are likely fully subscribed.

* - PlugShare shows this as under construction. However, others have reported getting a charge and two down units in August. It is very likely the planning attempt @Lee Jay tried could not include the recently opened, Trinidad CO, SuperCharger station that was not operational.

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

#138 bwilson4web, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree. People have to consider their routes & infrastructure. Just like the Australian Outback, there are areas in the US simply not ready for EV Primetime yet.

20. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't go out of my way to buy gas. There's plenty of stations on the rural highways I drive to get to/from the interstate. Many time I'll fill up on Friday night on the way home from work, and 400+ miles in <5 minutes is plenty for a weekend trip. 310 miles is on the hairy edge of being enough, but leaves no reserve for cold weather or unexpected detours. It basically means saying "Mom, we can take you anywhere for lunch, as long as it has a Supercharger nearby".

There's simply no comparison between a gas pump and a supercharger. Assuming 5-6 gal/minute, my F-150 refills at the rate of 5000 mph and that's a guzzler. The Prius is more like 15,000 mph. After driving the Prius 500 miles, it takes longer to swipe the credit card than to fill the tank.