1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Stock

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jnet, Aug 27, 2013.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Whoa Bisco, that was almost 3 years ago!:LOL:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    admittedly, i'm a little slow on the uptake.:oops:

iplug likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't believe the UK had anything to do with it and I wouldn't call ~$25 down from a week ago "up". I am surprised how quickly it recovered as much as it did but I'll pin that on a short squeeze. Carrying costs have risen dramatically as there isn't any more TSLA or SCTY stock available to short.

Brexit is probably adding fuel to the Utilities. AWK, ATO, ED, MSEX, NI are posting new highs almost daily.

I'll be happy if TSLA stays above $200 and below $235 at least through January.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, and I am not a Tesla stock expert, but I just wanna say I am recently hearing some concerns on TV MSNBC etc. The USA stock market has been very strong lately, so we have grace period as long as it lasts, to take some off the table. I believe Tesla is a speculative stock so at my age it should my play money, Bisco is much younger so maybe could take 5% porfolio risk (but he's in CD's so that tells you).

More Squawk From Jim Cramer: Tesla (TSLA) Production Target is ‘Preposterous’ - TheStreet

Seems right now that foreigners are flooding money into US stocks and bonds, so we have the "least dirty shirt in the laundry." But I'll say our shirt is still pretty dirty, like the Nat's Bryce Harper's jersey after sliding into home plate a couple times on a muddy field - and that ain't a pretty shirt.

#24 wjtracy, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who knew brexit would be a bonus for the u.s., we just can't lose.:cool:

6. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doesn't seem like anything new here. Change the dates and the commentary could match many quarters. From the IPO I said the stock is a lousy investment and I haven't changed my mind. It is a great trade. Sell the puts, sell the calls but don't get greedy.

I believe Tesla is running out of customers so they can't increase production of the S & X but they can ramp up Model 3.

They are going to have to raise cash by selling equity and/or debt to cover their own losses and Solar City's obligations when the acquisition gets approved. Those fleeing the euro and sterling may very well stand in line for Tesla.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The newer commentary is quite a bit of negatism about the Solar City and other things. I posted Cramer only because I value his opinion, so I googled to see what he was saying.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    wjtracy likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's easy to bet against a new car company. but tesla is different. i wouldn't bet against ev's or musk. especially since most governments are ev friendly, even though i'm sure there's pressure in certain parts of congress to put the thumbscrews to them.
    that being said, wall street is wall street. they're more interested in making a buck, than they are in trying to figure out future company success and profitability. everything is done by manipulation to the greedy end.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    Alls I am saying is make sure your allocation is reasonable under the circumstances. In all honesty I think it is good time to take some profits in the market in general. I am admittedly conservative investor.

Looks like that Leno spot was a couple days before Solar City deal, so it would be interesting to hear Cramer update comments.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Always good advice.
    I would never recommend going "all in" on any single stock or investment.
    I started my position in TSLA as about 1% of my portfolio.
    It is now over 5%, just due to growth.

I know past performance isn't a predictor of future performance. But when I think of all the people, including Cramer, that have been hammering the stock ever since it was $30, well, I just don't put much faith in their predictive capabilities:)

bisco likes this.
  12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My postdictions are 100% accurate.

Smart or lucky is the person who knows when to get in and when to get out. Nobody has ever gone broke by taking a profit.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have paid taxes though.

14. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Solar city————bankrupt.

Musk————stole Tesla from the actual startup company.
    (Founded as Tesla Motors, Tesla Inc. was incorporated in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning who financed the company until the Series A round of funding. The founders were influenced to start the company after GM recalled all its EV1 electric cars in 2003 and then destroyed them.)

Shorts————-being attacked (Trump) style, shorts have facts, and always spend time on their due diligence.

Tesla is secretive, doesn’t release any info, but, info gets out, now Mercedes has entered the high end electric market, I don’t think Mercedes is going to have structural problems, financial problems or crazy leadership problems, chances are the SEC isn’t going to sue Mercedes for stock manipulation, I don’t wish failure on anyone but Musk is an untrustworthy poser, remember PayPal?

IMHO,YMMV

What a day traders wet dream.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Happy news, I woke up to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Notice of a brokerage order execution [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dear Robert Wilson,

The following order executed on 09/07/2018 at 9:31 AM, Eastern time:

Account: ******
    Transaction type: Buy
    Order type: Limit
    Security: TESLA INC (TSLA)

In 24 days, Q3 will end and we'll start getting the initial press releases. About 30 days later, the detailed financials will be filed with the SEC.

Bob Wilson

m.wynn, iplug and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    m.wynn likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    remember PayPal? i'm still using it!:p

m.wynn likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well all of a sudden Tesla stock is testing the low of earlier this year ...the question now is, which way from here?

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To to moon obviously! Powered by a SpaceX rocket...

What most people don't realize is that Musk isn't stupid. He's crazy, but he isn't stupid. The biggest obstacle to BEV manufacturing today, are batteries. All the batteries in the world are being bought and all factories are at capacity. Raw material cost is up, manufacturing processes are more advanced, and demand is higher than ever before and will continue to be so as long as we push for BEVs or even PHEVs and HEVs.

Tesla makes a ton of money. Then they burn a ton of money. But what they burn it on are things like the Gigafactory. A huge waste of money if you are looking for short term profits. But when its fully operational, it's the only place in the world that will be able to come close to making enough batteries that just Tesla needs. Where is Merc going to buy theirs? That's the beginning of the end game for Tesla.

He who controls the battery manufacturing controls the BEVs. In a few years, that's Tesla.

m.wynn, bwilson4web and Trollbait like this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would add the SuperCharger network and high-speed charging. Testing reveals the 3d party charging networks are toxic:
    1. Time, not kWh pricing - what this means is the slower charging cars pay an excessive amount per kWh. For example the Electrify America chargers are $0.30/minute for both their 150 kW and 350 kW chargers, $0.20/kWh and $0.08/kWh, in areas where commercial power rates are ~$0.07/kWh. But in reality, my BMW i3-REx is rated at 50 kW or $0.60/kWh.
    2. Reliability - in spite of nice support staff, their chargers fail without any indication that the station has failed. Every EV owner becomes an unpaid, tester. Yet they could track "parking fee" with "no or very low kWh" charged. Their billing system can report the problem but they failed to act on it in three weeks.
    Bob Wilson