1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla stock

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I admit that $1200 for delivery and fees is higher than average, maybe 25% higher than average. But you more than make up for that premium in the first six months with savings in the cost of "fueling" a Tesla compared to ICEV.

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Simply no truth in what you say. I am a typical Tesla owner - charge to 70/90% at home each night (as recommended in the owners manual) and rarely discharge to lower than 20%.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    some prefer actual data in stead of pullung fake facts out of the sphincter. maybe that was just humor? if so - my mistake

View attachment 163577
    Fleet mileage somewhere in the 4 billion miles now, & the above graph shows how even approaching 190,000 miles, you'd be hard-pressed, quick charging / quick discharging or not - to try to force the pack to lose anything more than 10%. So you're 300 mile Tesla after ~200K miles, presuming you keep it that long, will now only have a 270 (or more) mile range.
    Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data - Electrek
    Lastly, seeing how one can easily spend over $45k for a massive SUV or pickup, & that the mid-range Model 3 is the same price, how come no one calls pickup trucks the vehicle of rich people.

3PriusMike, Zythryn and el Crucero like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like any used car, the unknown outweighs the advantages, imo

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Priced a pickup recently? Even at the "special end of year $10k off" deals, I see lots of $60+K trucks.

hill likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    our family is looking to replace both of our cars and will likely get a 1 year old EV/PHEV that still has over 2 years of factory warranty, even without an extended plan. Bam - just vanquished the unknown.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait....getting rid of the Tesla?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hill goes through cars like my grandson goes through diapers :p

9. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah! People buying used ICE vehicles, don't want to buy abused ICE vehicles. Most people understand, much easier abuse can be heaped on battery packs.

#389 litesong, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  10. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...... handling .....fingerprints on my car. Get it. Oh, well. I'm not good at jokes.

#390 litesong, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    kida vague ... how do ya figure in light of the data ... still no link, eh?

12. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope your data is correct. I really hope EV battery packs can withstand the abuse drivers can pile on them. But, its never good to under-estimate the ego & hormones of Americans & the heaping helping of heat they can pour into ICE (in the past) & battery packs (in the future). Already, I see a large range of percentages where all the dots are placed on the chart. As to the pick-ups, yeah, they're way too pricey for me, specially since they don't have to adhere to emission rulings, like cars.
    As to the costs of EVs (& pick-ups), I'll let poor people determine the definition of "rich people" in our world. I assume poor people consider me rich, who paid sub- $13,000 for a new car AND the licenses, taxes & interest over the years on said purchase.

bisco likes this.
  13. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not thinking about typical drivers. Is your limit 70% or 90%? How often are you seeing discharges into the teen percentages? Musk is already arguing with people that 70% limit isn't necessary. Indications are that lots of people have been charging outside your limits, often fast charging, often fast dis-charging. As time proceeds, we'll see if EV drivers begin treating their EV vehicles like ICE vehicles. As EV numbers increase, it can't be surmised that future EV drivers will be "as careful" as past EV drivers.

14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My limit is 100% which I charge to if going on a long trip within a few hours. In fact Tesla recommends that charging to 100% once or twice a month on a trip of a couple hundred to maintain good battery health. For daily use, I charge to 70% to 90% depending how much driving I plan to do that next day.
    I have yet to do that.

Yes, he said that. He also said it isn't necessary, but it won't anything either. He also said, a plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla. He also said that a Tesla should be charged to 100% at least once a month.
    What "indications" are you referring to?
    It can also be surmised that future BEV drivers will be more careful than past BEV drivers.

We have Teslas right now with mileage of more than 200K that have battery degradation of only 10%. My car comes with an 8 year,120,000 mile warranty with a maximum 30% degradation, regardless of how you charge. In all the years Tesla has been in business, very few people have ever needed or utilized that part of the warranty.

15. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, then I must have seen all of them, thank goodness.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is often the case. The 1% (or whatever) who have an issue tend to advertise it all over the media. The 99% who have no issue have no reason to advertise that all over the media, at the risk of being accused of drinking koolaid or being fanbois.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Passion For Tesla Model 3 Triumphs Over Quality Concerns
    it's not just 1% advertising their quality complaints.
    .... and it's really not the issue with model 3 quality - which is slowly getting better. Sure ...... you get fit & finish issues on your 40 or $50K, car - people will squawk. You get fit & finish on a six-figure car, whether a Porsche or Model X, that's when the REAL squawking will begin or continue.
    I accept the fit-and-finish, but Marvel at how the sales continue DESPITE it. That goes to show how much pent-up desire there is for a sporty long-range E V with infrastructure. This is a phenomena never-before-seen, where you can build a mediocre fit-and-finish quality vehicle that's expensive, and people STILL flock to it.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was speaking specifically about issues with battery degradation.

The problem I have with the referenced article is that his conclusions are based primarily on YouTubers. They are a special breed whether critical or enthusiastic about the model 3. The author could have found a much greater number of owners who had no problem with fit and finish , if he wanted.

Regardless of how thorough the author may or may not have been, I submit a comprehensive objective survey of verified model 3 owners from August, 2018, by a third party (all 90+ pages). Owner satisfaction with no issues generally ranged from 80% to 90%. The one glaring exception was Smartphone connectivity which Tesla has now addressed with the key fob. Realize that Tesla has built double the number of cars included the August survey and fit and finish and paint have improved dramatically since then. I have looked with a critical eye at my model 3 and can find nothing wrong with it. However, I am sure that someone with a laser light, digital micrometer, and 100 point checklist and a YouTube channel would be able to find something wrong.

Tesla Model 3 Owners Survey - مستندات Google

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    she-who-must-be-obeyed .... her car/her say so. It wasn't being uncomfortable in a way too expensive car - nor was it the power that enabled her to burn through a set of 4 new Continentals in only 15K miles, nor any of the numerous little things - like this;
    [​IMG]
    The safety and View and style and everything was more than worth it until she could no longer have her beloved giant rear view camera enabled by default, at the top of her screen, like this;
    20180219_072701.jpg
    A few weeks ago, the display interphase changed, so that never again can owners by default use the top of their big screen as a giant rear view mirror. Some turd software writer decided owners want to look at GPS mapping above all else, so now you have to do scream swipes and Screen pushes to cover the GPS maps that you may never even want to use. Only it's not the colorful GPS screen they used to have - in version 8. No, now on V9, it's so monochromatic, a partially color-blind person like my wife has difficulty with the details. Rightly so, as live traffic colors have been toned down or removed in many instances.
    She wanted that car in large part for the screen, just the way it was, & now it is no more. Reading on the forums, there are many other haters of V9, but apparently not enough to want to get a revision in the near future.
    Thus her replacement .... 33 ev miles phev minivan .... with nice pretty colorfull rear view camera she can set up to default however she likes.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    bummer, but understandable

are you due for a new vehicle? Think you will get the 3 or the Y?