1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla stock

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that seems like a big mistake on teslas part

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe you but my understanding that only applies to model S which is coming out with a whole new User Interface and interior design like the model 3, later this year..

I can pull up the rear view camera on my model 3 at any time (even going down the freeway) with a single tap on the far left of the U.I. screen right adjacent to the steering wheel. If I want the camera to disappear, I just tap the icon again a single time and it goes away. The camera is high resolution with little distortion and in full color. It is one of my favorite features on the car. My GPS/navigation screen can be toggled between full color satellite view and monochromatic street map view, again by a single tap of an on-screen icon. I have the latest software updates, so that is current on the model 3.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    will look into a 1yr used phev for now since the leaf is nearing sub 40 fwy miles ... they say the newer leaf capacity loss is coming even worse than our 2011. What a shame.
    no the X&S MCU's are identical. As for bringing up the rear view - of course you can. And when you turn it off you have to do it again and next time? again .... then again. The point is it used to be you could have power display and Rear View Camera you could have web browser and rear view camera. You set your display and the car would leave it alone. Remember, the Tabloid versus portrait screens are different, & the push is to have them as similar as possible, and it's to the loss of the model X & S. Now the software writers have such a hard-on to keep the GPS display up it's always there by default, and many would rather not have it there at all - because some choose never use it. You may never leave your own County & you know all the roads aroun you, for example.
    Yes if you can imagine satellite view colors, integrated into street view, that's what you are missing because you will never know the beauty of version 8 (and earlier) displays on the X & S (we had both). That's for the best.

#403 hill, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are correct, GPS/Navigation screen is the default screen on the model 3 U.I. I prefer that the Nav screen be the default screen rather than camera, because it shows traffic in the area, but that's just me. The beauty of Tesla they can make the default screen user selectable through OTA updates. They will do that through owner feedback like yours. The software is a work in progress and is still under development, but I feel certain that, overall, it is better than it used to be.

You are correct that I have no experience with former U.I. software, so I have nothing to compare. But the satellite view is full color with all the streets and names on them. Sometimes I prefer full color satellite view and other times monochromatic street view only. My choice, just a single tap of one icon.

Tesla has evidently decided to standardize the landscape mode screens across all their models. I find it easier to use and see than portrait mode (I have driven a model S).

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard the opposite: 40,000 Miles With The 2018 Nissan LEAF | CleanTechnica

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    8% capacity loss at 40K miles isn't much of a database to go by, but better than many feared. But there is still the issue that when it's hot, you can't get any real quick charge speed as the signal to CHAdeMO will get throttled way back. I guess that's better than losing capacity faster - due to heat.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking of picking up 500 shares of tesla at $250., any thoughts?

i don't know if or when the new tax credit will go into effect, but that could send the price up.

8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Depends on one’s risk appetite. If it contributes to diversification of a portfolio, only speaking for myself, I would do it.

I’m also considering that Tesla’s software is vastly undervalued. They are one of the (if not the) leaders of autonomous driving and could license this software to others for tens of billions of dollars. Typically a lot more money is in software and services than in hardware.

Would like to buy more now but probably won’t have the extra cash laying around for about half a year.

bisco likes this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wowzers! Love it!

My opinion:
    Upsides are it's self driving AI. Way ahead of others but still a long ways to go. Some estimate Waymo is worth north of $100 billion by itself. Another huge upside is the Tesla Network. This has a potential to be as big as Uber someday and Uber is estimated to by north of $100 billion also.
    Downsides are that it still is risky. Young company that makes immature mistakes. Inherent risk in one man (Elon) having so much input/power/vision. If something were to happen to him stock could easily tank 20-30%.

All that said, I am a small shareholder. I just pick up some shares here and there when I think they are cheap (like I believe they are now).

bwilson4web, iplug and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree. 10k would only be mad money, but i would like to show support for the companies vision.

San_Carlos_Jeff, iplug and markabele like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A couple of data points:
    • Source: Investors Overview | Tesla, Inc. "Q1 2019 Reporting Date: April 24, 2019"
      • Before the report, SHORTs talk the stock down.
      • After the report, Tesla slaps them down for a day or so.
    • Buy stock 2/3 and 1/3
      • Murphy's law requires newly bought stock to decrease in value. So buy with 2/3d and when it dips, buy the rest at the lower price.
    • Sell stock 1/3 and 2/3
      • Murphy's law requires newly sold stock to be followed by higher stock prices. So sell with 1/3 trigger and then hammer down with 2/3.
    I am a BULL investor so this is what I'm expecting:
    1. A net loss, already announced.
    2. Improving margins - Tesla continues simplify and tune manufacturing as much as possible to improve efficiency.
    3. Maxwell battery technology - already Tesla batteries are high performance and low cost. The Maxwell technology and others will increase the battery performance by ~20%.
    4. Expectation of cash infusion from FCA.
    NOTE: only use 'gambling' money.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn, iplug and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the verge:
    'tesla granted restraining order against famous shorter randeep hothi, aka skabooshka, whose brother works in vdumb's advanced tech division. hothi has promised that musk will go to jail'

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    These financial political games are absurd, sad. Where there is money to be made, there is much propaganda.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this guy (and others) are over the top. if true, i hope he gets caught.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ..... my palms begin to sweat.

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I don't think the average investor knows this goes on at this level. So sad and an example of why short selling in America needs to be reined in. Greed can make a person do terrible things.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the street:
    'tesla stock drops on reports of a spontaneous explosion in shanghai' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

18. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's nothing wrong with short selling. What do you think your auto insurance, life insurance, or fire insurance is?

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nothing wrong with short selling. Lying to manipulate then capitalize on manipulated stock prices is another story.

Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nothing wrong with it, as long as manipulations by shorters are held to the same legal standards as manipulations by stock owners.