1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla stock

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2018.

1. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yup. Just you.

dbstoo likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeap, poor Bob. Owning a Teslas for 3 years:
    • 68,000 miles
    • $2.75 per hundred miles charged at home
    • 25-33% free charging miles around town
    • $3.50 per hundred interstate miles using SuperChargers
    • $3.00 per hundred interstate miles when staying at a free breakfast and charging motel
    • No oil, coolant, or engine and transmission maintenance or wear
    • 240 mi battery range down to 220 while more SuperChargers
    So Tesla is starting to add CCS-1 plugs just in time to offset some reduced CAFE credit sales. The other EV car makers are transferring their former CAFE costs to their EV customers who will be buying a charge from Tesla. Works for me.

I prefer my Tesla problems over the honorable competition.

Bob Wilson

#1242 bwilson4web, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Zythryn and JahT like this.
  3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I’m not a Tesla Fan. 356,000 Prius miles in 15 years

4. JahT

JahT Member

Well it is sound logic that applies to everybody..... everybody will forgive shortcomings relative to how big of a fan they are of anything.

Comparing Tesla to major car companies doesn't really make sense as a pro or a con, unique and different animals.

Nobody attacks Musk more than himself, give him some credit.

I understand that quality issues are common in all cars, but you don't see people getting so defensive over the Ford Maverick, mostly Teslas because they paid a premium for them. And again it is fine you did, we all did when we bought Priuses.

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah, I'm with Paul. 177,000 miles in a 2002 Prius. Bought it for $20,000 out the door. No mechanical problems other than a battery pack replaced for $1,300 at the 15 year mark. 172,000 miles on a 2010 Camry hybrid. $32,000 out the door. Needed new wheel bearings at 8 years.

Now I have a 2017 Prius Prime that's had zero problems with 49,000 miles on the odo. Getting 61 miles per gallon on the freeway while driving the speed limit. Getting better than 5 miles per kWh around town. No trim or fit problems on the Priuses. There was a loose screw in the moonroof of the Camry that sometimes rattled when the temperatures reached more than 100 degrees.

Yep. I'll avoid the car from the "new kid on the block" who promises a lot and delivers whatever he feels like.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't follow the market to have answers. Your post I was responding to seemed to be more about the EV car market, not the stock one.

How are aging used cars driving new Tesla sales?

Sensible people knew the free lifetime charging was going away at some point, and doing so with the Model 3 seemed to be a go point to do it. Those paying attention from the beginning remember that the free lifetime charging wasn't free. It started as an option for $2000 to $3500. Its popularity had Tesla increase the Model S's price and make it standard at the time.

Yeah, I'm only finding articles like this one, https://vnexplorer.net/elon-musk-tesla-supercharger-stations-to-add-css-connectors-in-the-us-s1336247.html about Tesla switching to CCS and/or opening up Superchargers.

Maybe Musk was talking about getting older Model S and Y on Europe's roads converted over to CCS. IIRC, some of those needed hardware updates. Maybe to even work with adapters.
    Wasn't there caveats when Toyota opened up their hybrid patents.

There have been bugs, oversights, etc. with European Superchargers working with non-Teslas without charging them for money in the past. Setting up a payment network may have been the hurdle to opening up the Superchargers to others. Some now are in Norway.

Tesla is limited mostly by production capacity. Every car they can make is sold. Unlike the other car makers, Tesla can't up production by putting on another shift, they have to built more factories.

Are you equating a deposit for a reservation slot as selling a car?

What happen to that sub $20k hybrid from Toyota? Weren't their new BEVs suppose to be more affordable than the others?

I'd say they market their cars more as performance luxury. BMW seems to be Tesla's benchmark.

I haven't paid money for a Tesla, nor ever plan too, but will defend their quality here.

They have quality issues when new model comes out during production ramp up. This partly because they are rushing to get it out the door, but then, they weren't in a position to take it slow. The issues lessen with time. It isn't much different than other makes having more problems with first year models and redesigns. They don't get to Toyota level, but they aren't horrible. Again, BMW.

Tesla is the brand new thing though. Like their car fires, any news on them is big news. My Prius had a loose exterior trim piece; Toyota had a TSB about it. An article on that isn't going to get the hits like such a one with a Tesla.

JahT likes this.
  7. JahT

JahT Member

Yes, agreed, they control their rush to scale and shortcuts taken to get there. When I see some of the Tesla owners legitimate complaints it reminds me of the movie Gung Ho. Toyota and Honda have better build quality or quality control in my experience, but mine were made in Japan. Sure Tesla will get there, it won't ever be the build quality of a BMW or MB, not even the Plaid is, but that won't stop Tesla from charging like it is that quality. I do hope Tesla delivers more value and succeeds because of it.

Trollbait and farmecologist like this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not everyone. For the last two Toyotas that were my personal everyday cars I posted a list of over 30 items for each that were either wrong by design or could have been done better or had been widely reported as flaws like recalls, TSBs, C-SPs, etc.

I also listed about the same number of good items for each car.

You don't have to be blind to flaws to like a car and speak of its worth.

Trollbait, JahT and Zythryn like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's old news, and still thrown out there by shorts to scare people.

fortunately for tesla, not enough people are buying into the fud to slow sales or investment

PaulDM likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and both pip and prime, along with other plug ins are still receiving subsidies

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is it toyota managed to sell gen 3's for 5 years, yet no one knows of the serious flaws except prius chatters?(n)

PaulDM and Trollbait like this.
  12. JahT

JahT Member

Yes, it was just the bumper when it rained. And the roof blowing off. And the airbag falling out. Adhesives failing. Hardly worth mentioning.(n) Yugo did better than that :). Yep plenty of people still driving their Gen 3's which are much cheaper BTW. But I don't mean to upset anybody, I'm not out to get Tesla or short them. They make a great product, but at such a high profit margin we should expect more for it.

#1252 JahT, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Tesla problem:
    upload_2022-5-17_22-14-8.png
    Works for me.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  14. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As usual Bob, you have posted numbers pulled from nowhere without any context. It's meaningless.
    from carbuzz.com
    Ford has a good problem on its hands: Demand is so robust for its vehicles that it has sold out of 2022 models in some cases. The all-electric Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning are completely cashed out until 2023, the Maverick and Bronco are done, and now Ford has another vehicle to add to the list. Users on the F-150 Gen 14 Forum shared a dealer letter, in which the automaker states that the 2022 F-150 is sold out.
    We don't know how many orders Ford has for the F-150, but the F-Series truck line routinely sells in the hundreds of thousands of units each quarter, making it the best-selling pickup in the country

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    you forgot to troll about early Model X windshield glass while trolling.
    5 things .... if we troll - & multiply those 5 times, say by 1,000 occurrence's just for imaginary fun - that'd be 5,000 'defects'.
    For round numbers - & having produced roughly 2 million vehicles so far - that'd be a defect every 400 or so cars.
    Now - go back 100 years & estimate what kind of defect ratio there was for Dodge GM, Ford, .... or the early days of mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda?
    Then factor in the lack of complexity & safety those early cars had from over ¾ century ago?
    We have decades & decades to finally get quality right - versus one decade for Tesla quality.
    Suddenly - one gets perspective.
    Apples to pine tree comparisons are of marginal value.

#1255 hill, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So how many ev’s did they sell? What you posted is hype, not data.
    Why are you touting f150 gassers?

3PriusMike and Trollbait like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not upsetting at all, but your not posting facts, just fud

PaulDM, JahT and Trollbait like this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the friend that went from BMW to Tesla had less problems with the Tesla.

I think Tesla will get there. Once the competition is a serious threat. Right now, that competition can't produce EVs in similar numbers. Even then, the EV market is just opening up. Demand will outpace supply, which will make buyers more tolerant of flaws.

As for bringing up old problems.
    Toyota engines sludging up in the 2000's.
    Prii stalling out at highway speeds because of software and bad inverters.
    The cyclical rusting issues with the Tacoma.
    There was also that recall involving the steering system that affected over a million cars.
    A few of those sudden acceleration events weren't user error.

Sounds like the same problem as Tesla has. How soon can Ford start making the Mach-E in the six figure range per year?
    How long did it take Ford to build up that level of production.

19. JahT

JahT Member

I apologize if I am 'trolling', but that's my point, Tesla is coming from decades of established knowledge. Sure they are pushing boundaries and improving on EV technology, but they should be able to get the basics right, especially in their 3-4th generation of vehicle, and especially at their profit margin. No "musckuses" :). Don't get me started on the Cybertruck, ha ha.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're over emphasing the 'basic' problems in quantity and quality. idk hard numbers, but looking past the hype, i think tesla owners are as satisfied or more satisfied with most.

the easy way to tell is by sales.

Trollbait likes this.