1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla stock

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is Consumer Reports owner satisfaction was pretty high for Teslas.

2. JahT

JahT Member

I think you're saying that Tesla rushed cars out and cut some corners to do it and it wasn't thousands of cars so it is to be expected and that's just fine. That's fair, but let's not call it FUD.

I admit that I was pretty upset at Toyota when I came back to PC after 15 years of ownership. I blamed them for the oil consumption and the blown head gasket I thought I had (thanks to PC over emphasizing the 'basic' problems, kidding), but turns out it was all reasonable at 200k and somewhat fixable. I know Rivian has had adhesive issues too, and maybe they have learned from Tesla's mistakes, and maybe it is par for the course with cars relying on more adhesive. My main point about Musk (who I still have great hope for as he tramples on my hope with his immaturity) is that he needs to just shut up in between announcements, if I were an investor I'd feel even more strongly about it. A lot of empty promises, arrogance, and ignorance that doesn't help him or us. I want Tesla to succeed so other EVs can and we all can benefit. This thread is about Tesla so I won't get into larger concerns about Musk.

bisco likes this.
  3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Simple answer: The fanboys are claiming that Tesla is leading the way. What they are really doing is the same thing that the established car manufacturers have been doing for decades, but using slightly different components. The robots that Tesla uses in manufacturing are not news. The "mega press" they are using to stamp out parts are nothing compared to the presses used in industry to make aircraft and parts for house sized diesels that power super tankers. Again, nothing new. The newest batteries that Tesla wants to use... are being made by Panasonic (Toyota's partner) according to a report last week.

But Tesla should be able to develop quality control / assurance programs that ensure that their cars are built right. There are training programs and certification programs to teach companies how to build it right the first time instead of fixing them via recalls and OTA updates.

When the discussion is "selling all the cars that they can make" it does not matter exactly which cars those are. You can compare making EVs to making BHEVs or ICE. The same basic process goes into making both, although fanboys claim that an ICE contains thousands of more parts than an EV. That's an easy claim to make when you add up all the parts in an engine and transmission to compare to a single battery pack in an EV.

The post I made noted that Ford sold out their pre-ordered EVs though this year and into next year.

Ford is used to selling millions of cars per quarter, and took less than two years to start delivering EVs to the public. They do it with reasonable quality for a non luxury car.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    More accurately, the way to tell the customer is satisfied is by the percentage that buy a new one to replace their old one.

JahT likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't disagree. tesla has issues like everybody, musk has issues like everybody. his are public, and written about ad nauseam.
    will he change? i doubt it. but that won't affect tesla much. in fact, without him, things could get more difficult, though apple and microsoft both surprised me.

JahT likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    impossible?
    anyway, until sales start going backward, it is difficult to criticize too much more than any other car company, or company in general.

7. JahT

JahT Member

Ugh, just now saw Elon's tweet getting political, likely to sell more cars to Trumplicans or he has self-hypnotized like the rest of the extremists, for a smart guy he is such a moron. If he keeps it up he'll be a dangerous moron, if he already isn't. He doesn't realize that he jumped the shark a long time ago by running his mouth, it has nothing to do with Democrats, he did that with his online fights and looking like a petulant fool. Oh well, enjoy your Tesla. Just say NO to extremist morons, and if he tries to privatize water then stand up and shout.

dbstoo likes this.
  8. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    delete

#1268 John321, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    JahT likes this.
  9. JahT

JahT Member

Maybe he needs a psych. eval., he's going full Ginni Thomas loony, or he is trolling for sadistic jollies which is worse. He is only human, and I am not surprised he is crumbling as he spreads himself too thin. It must be catching up with him. He's starting to realize how many plates he has spinning on the stage and he's doubting his ability to keep them from crashing. Everything is a threat when you get to that stage of hypervigilance. Slow and steady wins the race Elon, focus on what matters.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you like bezos tweet to joe regarding inflation?:p

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    am i to understand that some here don't like musk/tesla because of his politics?

12. JahT

JahT Member

I did, I mentioned it here in post #1224 :p:
    "I think he could take a lesson or two from Jeff Bezos, but even Bezos is starting to run his mouth too so it might be an inevitable trait of those with inferiority complexes."

bisco likes this.
  13. JahT

JahT Member

You aren't understanding, much like Musk. It isn't politics, it his his mouth. I like Musk, I am not a Democrat per se as I don't think there are clearly defined ideologies anymore and I think we all basically want the same things. Please stop making "muskuses" :p.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess what i don't understand is your concern about a public figure you don't know.
    this is the tesla stock thread, and the stock will do as well as the company.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are those plane and ship pieces as complicated in terms of 'nooks and crannies' as automotive body parts?

But you're right, there is nothing special about it. It's so not an advantage that Mercedes, Volvo, VW, and some Chinese auto companies are adopting it.
    Mega-Casting Trends for Automotive Manufacturers in 2022

Tesla has been partnered with Panasonic from the beginning, or at least the first Gigafactory. There is no gotcha there.

Yes, Tesla has to improve their quality control. No argument there.

Great for Ford. Will they break 40k or 50k sales of the Mach-E in 2022? Production at their Mexico plant seems to top out at 7000 a month, but that supplies other markets in addition to North America. The Model 3 sold over 40k in the US in the first quarter; the Model Y, over 50k.
    https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-sales-numbers/ford-sales-numbers/ford-mustang-mach-e-sales-numbers/
    US: Ford Sold Over 27,000 Mustang Mach-E SUVs In 2021
    Tesla Model 3 US car sales figures
    Tesla Model Y US car sales figures

They, and the other traditional car companies, have revenue coming in from their ICE sales to support their EV plans. It's a luxury Tesla never had.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when one uses the pejorative 'fanboy', one is not disclosing ones true reasons for disliking something.

Trollbait likes this.
  17. JahT

JahT Member

Elon wants our concern, that's why he is crying out for help. Interesting that you call him a public figure, that's not wrong, it just illustrates that he desperate for that public attention, positive or negative which is easier to come by. And I along with hundreds of millions of others are exhausted by these folks. I hope the company succeeds for the benefit of all EVs, but it may have to do that w/o Elon. I'm not going to boycott Tesla because Elon thinks he's a Republican now, I don't think he wants anybody's help damaging his companies, he likes his control. I think his antics impact Tesla stock, and their employees, investors, and board members. Imagine your boss running his mouth like that, whether you agreed with him or not, it can be a moral killer and conflict creator. So for dopey Elon to call others divisive by being divisive, it is more than manipulative and bad for Tesla.

18. JahT

JahT Member

I still consider myself a Tesla and Musk "fanboy". I consider myself an EV and Hybrid fanboy. I think a lot of us were before it was cool. I took a course in converting a Ford Ranger to EV in the early 90s, and I also built my own engines, so I knew the benefits of EV vs. ICE even with lead acid batteries of the day. So I was and still am thrilled that Elon is showing that EVs can be possible and profitable, despite decades of opposition. I want my solar shingles, my power wall, my EV filled up every morning but Musk is easily distracted, ala ADHD, and wants to blame others for some reason. Littering the skies with satellites so they can receive his mean tweets in Nunavut must be more important :rolleyes:. His tweet today is his way to label all valid criticisms as political. He's ironically addicted to social media and the dopamine hit.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, many ceo's 'run their mouths'. maybe not in the same way as elon, but definitely in ways that affect stock price, employee moral and etc. i don't have to imagine it, it's almost par for the course. like politicians, there are very few good ceo's.
    but i don't generally invest based on that. i invest based on market, product and the like.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "i want my solar shingles, my power wall,my ev filled up every morning but musk is easily distracted ala ADHD, and wants to blame others for some reason."

what does this statement mean?