1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla stock

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much longer will investors fall for the autonomous vehicle dream?

iplug likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In 2019, I bought Autopilot that came with a Tesla attached. <GRINS>

Then in Oct 2019, I sold some TSLA stock to buy $6,000 Full Self Driving. It has been a long wait but Monday's drive to Nashville proved it. A lot of the earlier problems have faded away. For example, it handles multi-lane left turns perfectly . . . as recent as last month they were 'too exciting.'

I know myself and at 74 years, age is not improving my driving. Reaction times slow, eyes aren't as sharp, and it is easy to get tired. So computer assisted driving makes sense for me:
    • First Prius - age 55, half the operating expense.
    • First PHEV - age 65, half the operating expense of the Prius
    • First BEV - age 69, 80% the operating cost of the PHEV and automated driving
    Bob Wilson

#1462 bwilson4web, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    iplug likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don’t doubt the improvements they are making to driver assistance.
    “Full self driving” is misleading, and fully autonomous vehicles are an elusive dream which may become reality someday.
    But how long will investors wait?

John321 likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would have called it "Johnny":
    [​IMG]

Speaking for myself, after you pry my cold dead hands off my Tesla App phone:
    upload_2024-4-24_8-27-8.png

Bob Wilson

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    SE iPhone is "only" $429 as of today. For comparison, Samsung's entry level is about 1/3 that price. Apple OTOH likely makes at least a couple hundred profit on their "affordable" SE.

Agree. Was never a believer that game-changing FSD was coming anywhere near the time frame of the optimists. Suspect the realization that it was not around the corner was a significant part of the fall in stock price in the last few months.

We are on a free trial of FSD this month with our Model Y. It's quite impressive and would consider it if spent a long time on open roads where it would be more acceptable to let some level of guard down or needed assist with physical impairments. But it's not good enough to where it's safe to not pay the same level of attention as driving alone in my scenarios.

FSD will be worth >$100k when it can drive to work as safely as the average human driver, drop me off close to my work entrance, then drive itself home, take the wife to work and kids to school, park somewhere safe like back home and charge off solar, drive us on trips while we sleep overnight and self charge en route when needed...getting there but still at least years away at this point.

bisco likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Topline
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) revealed in regulatory filings Tuesday her husband Paul Pelosi sold millions worth of stock in chipmaker Nvidia at a loss a day before the Senate passed a multibillion-dollar bill aimed in part at boosting U.S. chip manufacturing that sent Nvidia shares surging, a decision Pelosi’s office says was to avoid further “misinformation” about the couple’s investments."

So the Pelosis deliberately lost money ($4.1 million) in order to avoid conflict of interest problems?

But that is also minor-league 7-digit stuff. :rolleyes: The big-league grifters are playing 10-digits:

Donald Trump nabs additional $1.2 billion 'earnout' bonus from DJT stock

Jared Kushner's Post-White House $2 Billion Saudi Investment Sparked Ethical Debate and Saudi Skepticism Due to 'Inexperience' and 'Public Relations Risks'

#1467 fuzzy1, Apr 24, 2024
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Apple definitely has a captive market. We drifted over ten years ago with our laptops after 20 years of Microsoft.
    Then came smartphones and iPhone just made sense for connectivity and texting.

I actually tried to switch back to an acer laptop last year and hated, so I’m stuck with the high prices.
    The one good thing is that it’s like brand new at ten years compared to my previous dell’s which would crap out at three.

going back to Tesla, can they make it with a 40k minimum price?
    Maybe, but competition is gaining, and I don’t see FSD or charging network making as big a difference as in the past

iplug likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Continued discussion belongs in the FHoPol, not here. But I really had to wonder why a post of the tone I was responding too, had as its very first link, an article highlighting a congresscritter selling a position at a loss to avoid possible conflict of interest, while not including any links at all mentioning other grifters raking in figures 3 digits larger.

Partisanship? Please continue over in the political sandbox.

#1470 fuzzy1, Apr 24, 2024
    Trollbait likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, couldn't care less what these goobers buy and sell. I was just reading this thread and remembered seeing an article about Nancy buying a lot of NVDA options and at the time I read it, I was debating about whether to follow her lead. I passed, unfortunately. And the question was legit, tone or no tone. I have no desire to post in the house of politics as it seems to be full of idiocy. We can call this a wrap.

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Other potential market opportunities:

The top three best selling vehicles in the United States are all trucks. Cybertruck is interesting but probably too jarring for most of that demographic, so would be nice to know that they had a more conventional appearing BEV truck in the pipeline (with Tesla styling) to compete with those. Or just buy Rivian and develop/grow the heck out of it.

Enormous growth potential still in the energy business with healthy margins. FSD aside, lots of potential with AI/robotics.

bisco likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since buying FSD in Oct 2019:
    • 9 months - a tweaked Autopilot, less bad but seemed to break something with each release
    • Musk announces go to Artificial Intelligence
    • 2020-2024 - FSD had incremental improvements but the legacy code had 'problems'.
    • Apri 2024 - full AI stack except for navigation . . . just in time for ~600 mi to view the eclipse.
    • Second FSD release the third week of April, 2024, only 300 mi but very nice.
    If you doubt or don't like FSD, fine by me. I'll be driving the newest AI releases and investigating the remaining navigation speed changes (i.e., formerly phantom braking.) Now it much 'softer' giving time for manual speed override..

Bob Wilson

iplug likes this.
  12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've rented 4 Teslas now driving them in CA TX,FL,LA Most had FSD and I got to explore it in a variety of driving environments. It does have its perks. The best perk is there were 3 times the car..dinged me...and hit the brakes pretty hard and both times I was shocked and like WTH!!!!! Then there was a car that ran a light or cut me off that I didn't see. So it saved me from being in a crash. So for $12,000 it had the ability to prevent harm to my body, money lost, paperwork filled out, trips to the Dr. Chiropractor, ER and potential rest of my life injuries. Heck I spend that much on preventative care and exercise equipment to keep my body in shape... The real life R and D that was gained in a horrific accident where a guy drove his entire family off a cliff in his Tesla and nobody died (shouldn't be taken lightly). So FSD gets my vote and my money. I've spent and lost more money on other things with zero ROI. It is evolving....sure..but so are we humans. It's nice to have the choice and like most things in life it just costs you money.

iplug likes this.
  13. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One thing about FSD is it's always looking out in all directions for you. Last night while driving my Prius, after taking off once the light turn green, I realised I didn't look to my right if everyone were stopping before proceeding, something I almost always do, but not this time. Nothing happened, but y could have been side swept, something that driving in FSD can prevent as it's never distracted. Sometime confused? Yeah, but that's why you're still the driver, but it's never distracted. Accidents are mostly caused by distraction, so FSD is making driving safer, when it's not abused.

iplug likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think those are excellent comments.
    Am also a big fan of anything that makes driving safer for me.
    Would be a proponent of FSD when it is used as you described- you are still an attentive driver and FSD is a supplement to your driving that can alert you to potential problems.

There seems to be a divergence of how some people use these features or maybe a difference in how they are interpreted.

People who tout the advantages of full self driving vehicles and speak of how they let the vehicle drive itself are adding gasoline to a forest fire in terms of public pushback on this feature - people such as yourself who use this feature as a safety supplement to their own driving make a good sensible case for this type of assistance and developing it even further.

When used responsibly- a wonderful benefit to safety and society - when used irresponsibly it can lead to tragic results.

These people (below) are doing no favors to these type of safety advancements and illustrate many individuals worst fears and fan the flames of pushback against these features.

#1476 John321, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    sylvaing likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fsd is what it is. What it is not, is full self driving.
    It is not driving auto sales, and it is not capable of autonomous driving.
    Robotaxis are somewhere in the distant future

#1477 bisco, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    John321 likes this.
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There will always be bad actors.
    If we throw out automated driving assistants due to those bad actors, then we should also ban cars due to the same inattentive people.
    While we are at it, we should ban lawn mowers, phones and other devices that have led to harm.

iplug likes this.
  17. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My lawn mower is self driving, literally. It's like a Roomba for your lawn (I called mine Lawnba for that exact reason lol). When mowing the grass in the backyard, it's left unattended with the dogs inside. When mowing the front lawn, I stay there and do other stuff like trimming the edges, washing the cars, etc. It is not left unattended when someone could mess with it. It has a blade rotating at high speed underneath ffs. Beside, it's fun to see people's (especially dog's) reaction when they see it doing its stuff lol

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

But having a driver assist do the driving for me causes me to question the attention I am paying to the driving environment. Easier to be changing the radio station, changing something on the info screen, answering a text message displayed on the screen or spoken to you etc. Even when I have my hands on the wheel I feel I am giving less attention. So in a situation where the automation failed, would I be reacting as quickly as if I was "normal" driving? And would it be more so after hundreds of uses of the automated system?

How is FSD with the sun at a low angle directly at you (the situation of my only accident in the last 40 years)? It is always the edge cases I worry about.