1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla to Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by skierrob, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is certainly good competition. Volkswagen in particular is going all out in EVs.

Interestingly, it wasn't the Tesla's Autopilot that was the most praised autonomous driving system by Consumer Reports—it was the Cadillac's Super Cruise. Therefore, Tesla doesn't have the upper hand there either despite trying to portray it as if it's the case.

2. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder if all cars need blind spot monitoring. While it is useful in my PP, but my 4Runner doesn't have it and I think with its larger mirror I don't need it. Perhaps a better mirror would obviate the need.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest no car "needs" blind spot monitoring.
    Likewise, I would suggest blind spot monitoring increases safety in all

4. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A friend has a Tesla 3. Two things I didn't like, it had more road noise and a harsher ride than my Prime. Of course I was riding as a passenger and not the driver. Wonder if the OP feels the same way.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like you are making the fallacy of thinking radar doesn't have limitations. The millimeter band radar cars use does degrade in misty rain for example.
    Super Cruise is geofenced. It only works on the highways that GM has mapped for the system. If the systems were blind people, Autopilot can go to a friend's place where the furniture has been moved around, while Super Cruise is stuck at home where they know where objects are.

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You keep proving my point and disproving yours. I never said that the cameras should be replaced with radars. I said that both are needed in case one fails. Redundancy is crucial in autonomous driving.

Likewise, GM Super Cruise uses cameras, LIDAR, and radar in addition to GPS, while making sure that the drivers don't exceed its capabilities, whereas Tesla falsely advertises and enables its system as fully self-driving, which gives the driver a false sense of security and results in horrific crashes as the system is nowhere near being capable of a fully self-driving one.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't claimed using just one was better. Just that Tesla does have a system with just one, and you ignored that radars have limits in your post.

And all those senor types adds to the cost of the system, which is a waste for people whose routes aren't mapped for the system.

I have no interest in owning a Tesla for various reasons, but do we actually know crashes with autopilot active are happening more often with other manufacturers' systems active. Until recently, the manufacturers didn't have to report to the NHSTA crashes in which these systems were on.
    Automakers must report crashes involving self-driving and driver-assist systems | Engadget