1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla to Produce 'Affordable EV' by 2016

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by mrbigh, Jun 12, 2013.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Followed a beautiful red Tesla Model S yesterday on my way home. The turn indicator started flashing about a half mile from my driveway and I got a little rush of adrenaline . Perhaps this was my birthday present being delivered. All that money I spent on kid's tuition was finally starting to come back. Then she turns into the RV park. I start to cuss myself about the repercussions of putting the RV park on PlugShare and talking the park owner into installing a 75Amp J1772 charging station. She drives past the charging station and parks at one of the monthly rental units. Perhaps she is affordable.

austingreen likes this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah, must be a bitch to be trapped in a 2007 door stop, with no fun cars in the wings. <smiley of your choice>

Very serious.

Any vehicle that has to spend half of its usable life desperately seeking then chained to a charge station? With military-style logistics and preparation required to go more than 150 miles? It's a joke. And the joke is on the buyers. YGBSM.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, one reason I quadruppeled my investment in tesla, is all those short sellers saying the company could never work. I am sure there are a long list of suckers that declared how stupid it was, and lost a great deal of money. Short covering is a big reason the stock is up so much, I have taken my investment out, but still have most of my profits invested in the company. It looks over valued now. We will see with the anouncement tonight.

The joke though is on the short sellers. Those that believe like you. Unfortunately stagnation is something many people like to bet on. GM and Chyrsler bet on stagnation, and big SUV profits. Unfortunately the US taxpayer had to bail these too big to fail companies. This is not going to be a problem with tesla. Only idiots place big bets against the future. When the average driver goes 29 miles in a day, claiming a 208 mile range is short is idiocy. These things are mainly charged at home while the owner is sleeping, or at work while the owner is working. We don't need to fund opec to fuel bevs.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Joke's on you, which you and recent $TSLA and Tesla S buyers will eventually recognize.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How is that. I have already taken my investment back. The most I can lose are part of my profits.

Those that used your reasoning shorted the stock, and had to cover losing a great deal of money. Most of those suckers have been cleared out, but they are still crying like you that they were right.

If the joke is on me, I guess I am laughing all the way to the bank. I wish I had invested more, but it was a risky investment that tesla could produce the S without quality problems. Now that the S is shipping well, even if the stock is over valued (I believe it is), it isn't going to drop to the price I paid for it. If tesla manages a transition to lower priced cars ($30,000-$40,000) and continues to sell technology to companies like mercedes and toyota, the stock will be much higher in 3 years. Its only a short term over valuation, because of the risks of transition.

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a different vehicle for fun ... (Epic Aircraft | Epic LT). My daughter drives the 07 but she is making noise about getting a Volt now after driving her brother's a few times.

austingreen likes this.
  7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yup. Get ready for it.

Will they reports a loss and miss earnings estimates again?

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was really nice of the short sellers to pay off the DOE loan for Tesla. :)

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Was the Epic LT ever certificated? Maybe "by end of 2014"? You didn't get whacked in the bankruptcy, I take it? Home-built accident statistics don't impress me (or FAA). I stick to major manufacturers.

Ah, the Volt. A much bigger and heavier door stop, that GM is shoveling out the back door under cost.

Don't be silly, $TSLA did not participate in those trade closeouts.

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really don't have a clue. I am a bit bias though.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    More likely they will report a loss and slightly beat expectations.
    I am not sure what the markets reaction to that will be.
    If it drops all the way to $80 I will be buying more. However, I don't see that happening, maybe $105.

Of course, if they beat by a lot...

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Tesla Nabs 8% of the U.S. Luxury Car Market (TSLA)

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh damn ... up 10% after the close. :) now 15% ....

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, looks like I was wrong. They didn't beat expectations by a little, they beat by a lot.
    20c EPS loss was the expectation and Tesla reported a 20c EPS gain.
    Sure hope Air Boss isn't shorting the stock...

John H likes this.
  15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Hardly. Of course the real question is $TSLA forward earnings quality and whether the pps is sustainable. If I were betting, I would bet no, and not.

16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were betting you would be broke already.

If the shorts keep playing, the federal subsidies are going to be easily replaced by the shorts losses.

austingreen and Zythryn like this.
  17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I'm sure you know that if you were betting now, you would be betting on future not past performance, and I'm also sure you you that past or future trading wins and losses do not somehow accrue to the benefit of the company, except to the extent they may create the opportunity for future non-dilutionary equity issuance.

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You REALLY don't have a clue.

Take a look at the compensation model at Tesla and then take a look at how the treasurer at Tesla implements that compensation model.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    But you told me today I would lose money when earnings came out. That included forecasts for the what really happened in the past and future. Somehow, your crystal ball is majorly broken. Tesla completely beat expectations, and the exceptions were higher than they were 1 week ago. The biggest beat are the most important one, production is doing better than expected, and margins are going up.

Oh and what I was doing was investing, with information on risk adjusted reward. What you want to do is advising betting in the wrong direction, based on your emotional dislike of the company.

I don't think moving to 152 is down. Tesla did use its high stock price to raise another $1B to have cash on hand for its rapid growth. So yes profits and stock price helps the company, they have both, and are expecting 25% margins in the 4th quarter. Read the report.

20. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's early investment in Tesla could be paying off better than the PiP.