1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla to the rescue for Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Sep 12, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Really? When have I ever called you a name? Did you report me to a moderator?

Just because you don't agree with me, is not a definition of name calling on my part.

2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Focus, avoid straw man.

I am not the first to point out your name calling to others as on other threads. I made no reference to you calling me names in this thread. Paranoia?

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Google the phrase:
    "funding secured" and then get back with me.

Is that the royal 'we'? ;)

Not much, it would appear.

iplug likes this.
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Focus, avoid straw man.

Yes, I am paranoid, what is your excuse?

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused: I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't speak "Redneck Rivieraese".

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am royalty, aren't you?

If you (the royal 'you') don't have anything to contribute, why hang around here?

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the ambiance.....obviously.

When I saw this thread title, I didn't remember about the storm response to Irma last year, or the battery packs or the rest of it.
    I immediately thought....
    "Hmmmm....what are they up to???"

This is because, like Google, the phrase "funding secured" DOES mean something to me.
    If you lie to me, I don't vote for you and I don't buy your stuff.

22 hours ago - roughly the same time frame as the humanitarian gesture....
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-12/tesla-s-finance-team-is-said-to-be-losing-another-top-executive

7. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A penchant for arguing facts.

Environmentally, I probably agree more with you than ETC(SS). But he has a long history of contributions to this site without obvious agenda. And he is not known for brow beating antics.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hey folks!

Use "ignore user" and have a happy. My rule of thumb:
    1. Set "ignore user"
    2. Wait 2-4 weeks and take it off and see if things are calm. If not, set "ignore user"
    3. Wait 2-3 months and test. If not, set "ignore user"
    About half the time, the offender will 'get a clue' after 2-3 weeks. The remaining ones about half will leave or get a clue. Regardless, consider it the "SQUECH" of forums . . . a way to filter out the noise.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does tesla have a 120v output for riding out the storm?

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My default is to go to the PriusChat bookmark with recent/new posts. Never tried your suggestion before, so a few questions:

1) Would new threads no longer show up if started by the ignored user?
    2) What happens if the ignored user posts in an established thread?
    3) What happens if the ignored user’s comments are replied to in an established thread? Are those seen?

Some potentially different scenarios could make for some strange reading.

Either way, except for the occasionally guys who pull up to these boards and start throwing rocks, most kids on the playground play well within the confines of common decency.

11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wish this was a manufacturer upgrade option on most PHEV/BEVs. Could be handy for the less technically inclined.

bisco likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was implied that my opinion on the topic was invalid.
    Any statement made about the poster can be taken as an attack the messenger ploy.
    The cost for the lifetime Supercharger access is rolled up in the Price of the Model S and X. Upon the S's introduction, the access was initially an option. Lifetime or pay as you go are options for the Model 3. Just because there is a charge for the network, doesn't mean it is run as for profit by Tesla. It's possible any profit made from the network is through PV electric production

I haven't seen the self back patting. Tesla made the announcement through owners' cars in the affected areas, and someone reported it to the news channels. It is a bigger deal for Model 3s, but the few Model S's without access are likely the ones with restricted pack capacity.

It is purely a cost savings action, and it goes back to the Model S introduction. The original plan called for a third trim with a 40kWh pack. With little interest in it, Tesla cancelled it, but opted to sell the few reservation holders for it a restricted 60kWh car for the 40kWh price.

A different sized pack will require separate fuel efficiency testing, and possibly safety as well. The sales volume of the S and X makes it cheaper to put in the larger pack and restrict it than making another sized pack. People that buy the shorter range restricted pack aren't paying the full price for having the extra capacity, and the extra buffer may mean the pack lasts longer. Seeing how the owner can opt to have the limit removed over the air at any time for a fee, it is far from planned obsolescence.
    I only see USB and 12 volt listed in the specs.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too bad. that would be a handy, albeit infrequently used feature. but from the company that gave us power wall, would make sense. maybe even 240v.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mostly no. However you might see a snippet on the "recent postings."

2) What happens if the ignored user posts in an established thread?
    You don't see them but there will be jump in the posting sequence numbers. Also, any of their quotes are thankfully invisible.

3) What happens if the ignored user’s comments are replied to in an established thread? Are those seen?
    Nope, they are invisible.

Some potentially different scenarios could make for some strange reading.
    Many times, quite amusing.

Bob Wilson

iplug likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AT LAST!!!
    An interesting question, and one that more or less highlights a BENEFIT to owning a PHEV/BEV!!
    One of the really groovy things about solar is that it's generating a huge demand for smart inverters, and it would seem that having at least the limited use of the on-board power for an emergency power source during an extended power outage.
    I'm betting that there's somebody who has noodled this out besides Bob who uses a old-school 12VDC sine-wave inverter.

Unfortunately, this seems to be more of a use for a PHEV or even a garden variety hybrid than a BEV.

16. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not for camping purists, but great for car camping too where there is no other plug.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For #1, you won't see the thread, but at the bottom of the forum, and also on the thread, there is a link stating there is a thread/post by an ignored member that you can click to see them.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They generally don't have to. The really nice thing about liquid fuels in an emergency is that a 5 gallon gas can is light enough to be carried around by just about anybody, and can provide energy to a car to travel over 100 miles, or a generator to produce electricity, or a chainsaw to cut downed trees, etc. It is energy dense, easy to transport, and fungible.

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah....and flammable, and toxic, and somewhat perishable.
    Can be hard to properly store.
    Smells pretty bad too.

I'm a squid, and I live in a small town.
    That probably (almost certainly!) makes me more 'prepperly' than my urbanized counterparts, but I don't bother much with generators because you have to feed them and they're atrociously inefficient AND they are maintenance intensive and overly expensive. However (comma!!!) I do find that gasoline is somewhat important in a post-storm environment, so I maintain a tactical (vehicle tanks and 1 or 2 small gas cans) and a strategic gasoline supply---MUCH easier for me since I have 5 acres to store it.
    Since I live in the SE I also keep a fairly large supply of water on hand (for flushing and drinking) and most folks down here already have pantries since it's a common sense thing to do.
    Add a decent first aid kit and some aux lighting and you can be storm ready even if you're a lifelong city dweller.
    If you live on one of America's vast alabaster deserts, you may want to review that "3 days/3 ways thing" because it can leave you with a false sense of security.

So yeah.
    I do the gasoline thing, but it seems to me that using the gas in a hybrid and/or PHEV will be much more efficient as a back-up electrical supply than using a stand alone gas generator, and people who live in more urban environments will have a lot harder time safely storing more than about one Jerry can's worth of gas....and Darwin is a really messy and inefficient method of species optimization, which we will rediscover every time people with an advanced degree in Youtube try to use gas powered generators......chain saws....etc.

Fun fact:

Jerry cans are named after the British moniker for their German Army adversaries back in Dubbaya Dubbaya Two. 'Jerry' used 5 gallon gas cans extensively for fueling ops...BECAUSE that is about an optimum size for fueling all sorts of vehicles in a mobile force.

#39 ETC(SS), Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    tpenny67 likes this.
  20. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hadn't even thought about urban apartment dwellers. Yeah, having a spare supply of gas doesn't work well for them. But I did grow up in the suburbs, and remember my dad pumping small amounts of gas out of his car's gas tank to fill the lawn mower. The neighbor didn't even bother with the pump, he just stuck a heater hose down the filler and used his mouth to start a siphon.

I don't have a generator myself as it wouldn't be worth the cost. Most of the time we lose power it's only for a short time during the winter, in which case the wood stove provides heat and a means to boil water and heat food.

I generally have two cans of gas out in the garage, one for normal gas, and the other mixed with two stroke oil. Generally the gas gets used up in normal lawn mowing, snow throwing, and firewood cutting before it goes stale. What doesn't get used in the mower during the summer goes into the snow thrower during the first storm.

And here is where I get to the point of this whole rambling post: When I look at cordless tools, they each have their own proprietary battery and charger systems. If only there was a standardized plug-in battery module that would work across multiple tools and brands. That way I could use one battery module in a Stihl saw, two modules in a Craftsman lawn mower, and maybe 3 in an Ariens snow thrower. Instead of managing each tool's batteries separately, I could have a small collection of standard modules that are kept charged, and then plugged in to whatever tool is needed on a particular day. I can do that with gas, but not electric.