1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla Tops Luxury Sedan Sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 19, 2016.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would love a Tesla and could afford...just not a justifiable toy...if I want to stay married that is. ;)

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my gf would rather have me drive one than the prius I own. I wasn't confortable parking my lexus gs at some places before, and the model S would be even more conspicous. Still some days I think of a 70D, if the the market goes back up. Still I'm more comfortable with a model 3 or a bmw 330e. My deposit on the 3 will go in on april 1st, the first day I can. That doesn't mean I'll end up with it though.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good for you Austin however, when I do finally buy an expensive toy for myself, it will look more like this...and she knows it. ;) My "other car" puts out 48,000 lbs of thrust, so it will be a step down...but I can live with that.

[​IMG]

#23 frodoz737, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Can I make it that far w/out a bathroom break ?? (pun ahead - beware . . . . . . . ) depends .....
    :oops:

that's ok if someone ELSE is footing the bill for that kind of thrust ... pay for it your self? last I checked - even small twin engine turboprops (as opposed to 2 ton engines that get 48K Lbs thrust) will run over $30K just for insurance & yearly inspections. No thanks I'll pass.
    ;)

#24 hill, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, that was cringe worthy. :D

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think people drive what they can afford. The guy who delivers your pizza has a rusty beater with a noisy muffler, because that's all he can afford. If you can afford to spend 100 grand on a car, then chances are excellent you will own one. Given that price point, a Tesla S is an excellent choice. Just because it's cheaper to operate than other $100,000...that might factor in to the purchase decision, and it might not.

Elon's vision to prove that electric cars are not golf carts, and to pave the way for lesser mortals to also purchase an EV, seems to be working.

The one flaw I see in the plan is that 'kids these days', at least those in the city, don't seem to be as keen on car ownership in general. People who don't have a driver's licence seem to be more common than they used to.

(As for driving long distances.....those coffee stands at rest stops give me range anxiety.)

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto sales are up to 17 million. I think we can put to bed the idea that young people aren't driving. They are driving used cars, but they also aspire to plug-ins. China plus US 37 million not counting japan or europe. Tesla wants to sell 0.5 million cars when they have a more affordable one, that is only 1.4%. Tesla needs to do better in china but is making moves including plans to manufacture there for the chinese market.
    3 hours seems like a long time ;-) I think those requiring 600 mile range are less than 1%. Those requireing under $30,000 are probably 50%. Tesla just needs to get 3% of those left ;-)
    I have no clue what that car is. I googled that thrust figure and I got a rocket car that jessi combs set the land speed record for women.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone's interested, the Chevy dealer I bought my Volt from has a 2013 Tesla S60 for sale. $49,995 and it's yours. :D

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ultima...hopefully one day, B737...almost daily.

austingreen likes this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Overpriced. My Sig 116 (85kWh) will probably end up going for about that.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So? - He oughta making him an offer he can't refuse ! Probably took in trade for what - maybe 42-$45k turning on mileage ?
    ;)

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I guess if reality and my opinion differ, we know which one has to change. ;)

Still, I'm curious about the stats that show percentages of youngins with and without licences from about 1960 to now.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't doubt the percentage is declining.
    However, I'm guessing the total number of drivers is increasing faster than the decrease in teen drivers.

My nephew didn't want to learn to drive. He did because the family needed to help out driving him and his sister to events and such.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Young drivers buy used cars because they can't afford a new one. So the uptick in new cars simply means young families, 25+, have the income to buy a new car.

Bob Wilson

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    nice. That thrust number makes more sense now. Didn't even know about the ultima till you posted.
    When you are saying youngins 16-19 driving rate has definitely declined. This has a lot to do with cost (gas and insurance) that simply is not something that people want to pay for if mom and dad don't. uber and lift will probably push this number even lower. Still once people get real jobs they get cars.

Then as part of the 16-35 demographic, student loans and other priorities keep people in used cars when they start buying a car. This is reflected in the 11.5 year average age of vehicles in the US. But this pushes up the price of used cars, and now we have flipped, and new cars are reducing average vehicle age. The new car buyers have always mainly been in the 36+ year old bracket. Do 20-35 buy new cars? Sure, and the parents of 16-19 year olds often buy them new cars, but its a low rate. Big shift since the 1960s is the used cars are more reliable and get better gas milage. Regulations in safety and emissions though have added a lot to the price of a new car, and that pushes more people to the used market.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If the kids nowadays start driving and paying for insurance, they won't be able to afford the latest smartphone. :p

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes and having money for the smart phone and coffee is more important than a car. If mom and dad pay for the car, which they often do, then they get a car, but they don't want to work that hard to pay for a car and a smart phone. I don't blame them. I got a license but didn't get my own car until grad school, and it was a free hand me down from my dad to my older brother than bought a new car with a good job to me.

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends upon the mileage I suppose.

The 13s have the first gen tech. They lack parking sensors, motorized side mirrors and numerous other engineering changes.
    I would also make sure it has a clean carfax.
    Not all 60s had supercharger access either. I'd just suggest a lot of caution buying a Tesla that isn't a CPO.

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not interested in it, being quite content with my Volt, but if anyone is, the Tesla facility is right around the corner and probably could check it out.