1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured "Tesla under US criminal investigation over self-driving claims..."

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Lee Jay, Oct 27, 2022.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes - and yet not a single one of them by Lee Jay was the sleuth posting them for the 1st time. Same with dieselgate, or GM toxic super fund sites, or any other manufacturers discussed if/when discussed here - save one.
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
    yes - Thanks are in order for his diligence

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When FSD was first released, you could buy it at a discounted price, or you could buy Autopilot. No one was told the current hardware in the care was the final iteration.
    People were also told that if they bought FSD they would get any upgrades at no cost. In my case, the upgrades were free.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After waiting years since her first evening/day reservation for a Y LR RWD, they asked my wife to choose from the available LR AWD or Performance, at the much much higher current pricing. They would not even honor the FSD cost that she selected. There was no writing on the wall that it would never come, they produced a SR RWD for a while so we expected the LR to come. Then when prices started rising we went in for advice, and were advised we got a great price, to wait. All the while holding her pretty big $2500 deposit....

This was what happened to us:

Tesla Rejects Model Y Buyer's Call To Honor Retroactive FSD Pricing

At least with the Cybertruck it's only $100....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

#23 jzchen, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm talking WAY BACK when the Model S was their only vehicle. I remember going into the showroom to test drive the car because self driving would be great as I often get tired behind the wheel. I remember immediately being greeted with it's not quite there yet. Elon kind of over spoke WAY BACK.

Then the concept that all the cars on the road shared their data and were collectively learning to drive, way back....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Time to update this Dusty old zombie thread. Ultimately no criminal activity held - guessing the OP forgot to get back to this and bring that up. Case closed. Another just unnecessarily causing fud

3PriusMike and Zythryn like this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How could any rational person fail to see that this sentence is self-contradictory?

"Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability are intended for use with a fully attentive driver, who has their hands on the wheel and is prepared to take over at any moment."

"Full self driving" means I don't need to even be inside the car, or if I am the car is doing the driving for me.

On the other hand "prepared to take over at any moment" means I have to be doing all the normal tasks that I would be doing if I were driving - watching the mirrors, watching my speed, listening for horns and sires, keeping up with the weather, looking at road signs and so on.

Ad about Tesla during Super Bowl slams 'Full Self-Driving' tech | CNN Business

Trollbait likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    https://electrek.co/2023/02/11/tesla-full-self-driving-beta-smear-campaign-super-bowl-ad/

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guess that means 10's of thousands of FSD buyers are irrational - and the jury was irrational & the judge was irrational. Ok. So then it means it also looks like just you - & stock shorters & this guy advertising on superbowrl (with competing software) are the ones that are rational then.
    Hmmm. Must be tough being so much smarter than everyone else. Thank you for the FUD .... the exact fud GM constantly slung at the Prius - which many of us countered with the facts/safety statistics.
    Carry on

#28 hill, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    austingreen and Zythryn like this.
  9. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Full self driving" sounds like it's hollow and now has some sort of liquid or compressed gas in it and it keeps driving itself until it runs empty again. Sorry, I just had to say that. :D

Although I don't like the terminology and even as someone who doesn't keep up on Tesla I'm pretty sure I'd know what I'd be getting into if I were to buy or consider a Tesla with FSD.

austingreen likes this.
  10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean the scam artist that faked a bunch of videos and ignores facts and lost his bid for the senate, may be wrong about his claims. Does this mean everything QAnon says may not actually be true and that there is a possibility that Russia didn't attack Ukraine in self defense. ;)

3PriusMike, Zythryn and hill like this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But if you saw a brand of EV that disenfranchises your plugin by capturing lots of its sales - you might try & do anything to slow the tide. That's what Toyota for instance did when they (lexus) ran false ads about EV are for people that have 4hrs to waste.

3PriusMike likes this.
  12. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Marketing is full of scams, slander and outright lies and thrives off of human ignorance and misinformation.

Toyota might be "right" for certain people in certain circumstances. I had an EV (Nissan Leaf) and usually waited 4 hours at each charging station and did so very, very often (at least twice a week) and had that problem until the day I sold it.

But yes it's a half truth that Toyota used to try to sterotype all EV's, and it affects people's perception of EV's. I would like to get an EV again, but I think my attempt at being an early adopter has actually had the same effect as Toyota's ads: a lot of people who know me say they'd never buy an EV after what I went through. I try to educate them that my circumstances 5 years ago in a first gen EV are not what it's like to drive an EV today, much less what it will be like in the comming years. But people are gullable and stubborn at the same time.

The last leg of highway where I was afraid it didn't have enough charging for a 200+ EV to make it without a tow truck now has enough charging stations to make it viable. The next car I get I want it to be an EV. It'll probably have to be a Bolt, or a really well kept and reliable used EV. But I want an EV even though as a renter, this probably means I'll be spending 4 hours down at the free charing spot in the center of town every other day or so.

austingreen likes this.
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #34 hill, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Changing the subject is the world's dumbest debate approach.

The topic is, Tesla and specifically Elon have *lied* repeatedly about their driver-assistance technology, by saying it will do things at specific times when it didn't (and probably never had any chance to), by using misleading words to name the system, and by falsifying videos and other claims about its performance.

People ended up spending thousands of dollars (or more) for promised functionality that was never delivered.

mountaineer likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You mean like you throwing up an individual owner complaint (that admits how much he LOVES his Tesla btw) as opposed to the OP issue which was criminal liability? Yes - agreed ... that is a dumb approach .... & it's exactly why - by example - an unrelated issue link was posted ABOVE ... to point out that you switched to a non criminal guilt issue.
    You mean it's not criminal guilt or innocence? Odd ... it seems the wrong OP article was posted then. Following up from the OP article - court disagreed about your hope for guilt. If you want to complain about one brand or another's quality - perhaps start another FUD thread? For your future edification - if you think about differences of burdens of proof - civil trials generally just require a preponderance of a showing of the issue to be likely true (or not) ... as if just over 50%.
    Crimes require evidence beyond reasonable doubt - a higher threshold. Musk/Tesla has already beat civil cases regarding what was delivered .... so realistically any criminal trial win for a Tesla defense is a slam dunk. Sorry that seems to be so frustrating for you. Electric cars are not meant for everyone. So enjoy your Prius - as it too - is a great car.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And will never own another one.

About this topic.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whoops - there you go again - changing the issue ..... try to stick to the OP if you can - per your own suggestion
    It's "criminal guilt"

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Got the latest FSD a week ago which reset my strike counter. Unlike previous updates, a lot of settings had to be discovered and reentered. Other than discovery of the “Wilson Wander” (see YouTube), not a whole lot of changes. It does a better job of snuggling to the far side of the lane when a large vehicle is in an adjacent lane. Multi lane left turns should still be done manually.

Still love Autopilot and Full Self Driving. Traffic light control works great. Also, turn signals bring up the side camera view which has a wider and unobstructed view.

Keeping the spirit of the thread, Elon Musk releases and deploys updates to Autopilot/FSD faster than the regulators can get permission to post a notice. Legacy regulation anticipated hardware changes for recalls. My Tesla is a pad computer with a car attachment.

Bob Wilson

#39 bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Ah but it isn't the latest because the latest includes additional hardware which is not going to be added to your car Bob. So you will be left with a less functional than was claimed product (even if that claim was for a time in the future). Aren't you pleased with that?

https://electrek.co/2023/02/13/tesla-preparing-launch-new-autopilot-hardware-4-0-upgrade/