1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured "Tesla under US criminal investigation over self-driving claims..."

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Lee Jay, Oct 27, 2022.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Mike, for folks that bought full safe driving they need to update the hardware they do it for free. I doubt I will be getting new cameras, but expect a second upgraded computer.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It looks like this Hardware is to be added in the future. Not now. It also looks like it saying if you want the latest and greatest version, whether it's Hardware 5, 6, or 7, you have to pay for it yourself - not that your car can't be integrated into it. This sounds similar to the Plaid version that's supposed to go over 200 mph. There is a linked article on that same site showing a hacker actually doing 216 mph. Not bad for a family sedan. But now Tesla says if you want the 200mph unlock - you have to get the upgrade ceramic brakes so you can stop fast enough. Those costs $20k. People.... always seem to want to have the latest & greatest that nobody else has.
    Apologies to our beloved topic Nazi - I was goaded by @mikefocke 's hardware tangent
    I repent - again
    ;)

#42 hill, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The word "preparing" means it is not deployed, yet. I did get a free upgrade from HW 2.5 to 3.0 a couple of years ago. Besides, with 93,000 miles, I may trade-up someday.

My point is trying to nail down a version of hardware causing Tesla failures much less, software will be nearly impossible for regulators. The worst they can do is get older Tesla car owners to 'upgrade' which begs a question. ... How old does a car have to be before regulators stop 'recall' notices?

Bob Wilson

4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a recall in the mail once on a nearly 20-year-old car. It was my 1993 Mazda 323. This was in 2010 or 2011 IIRC, so 17 or 18 years old. A faulty ignition switch was causing fires. Ironically I had just replaced it myself because it was sparking and smoking, but I took it to the dealer anyway just because.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Isn’t a criminal trial such, that we’d rather let a whole bunch of guilty go free than to accidentally punish 1 innocent? Why am I not surprised….

Trollbait likes this.