1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teslarati: Nissan Leaf more efficient than Model 3 on average

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Salamander_King, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    but - what does the dot gov epa site indicate ....

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that according to the article, the difference appears to be in typical driver behavior, not the car's actual EPA/CAFE efficiency:

"So what could have accounted for the Leaf group achieving such high levels of efficiency? Recurrent points to driver behavior as the driving factor. Nissan drivers must maximize the range that their vehicle is capable of, which is often a fairly limited total range. Recurrent says drivers are incentivized to drive more cautiously.

On the other hand, Tesla drivers may drive more “regularly”; using air conditioning, accelerating quickly, etc. Each of these factors drives down the efficiency of the Tesla vehicles."

"The clear trend is that driver action, much like in ICE vehicles, is one of the predominant factors determining the efficiency of a vehicle."

So, if you can control yourself and resist temptation to mash the pedal and crank up the climate control, get the Tesla for greatest efficiency. But if you have normal human frailties such that temptation matters, get the Leaf.

nate358, jerrymildred and Zythryn like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is why I think everyone should buy Leaf. Be frugal. Don't be wasteful, just because you can do 0 to 60 in 3.2 sec. LOL

I have heard very similar "wasteful" behavior in homes after installing a very energy-efficient tankless hot water heater. On paper, it is supposed to save energy by installing this super energy-efficient hot water heater. But most homes after having it installed, ends up spending more on fuel cost. Why? That is because the new hot water heater gives virtually endless hot water. Before the update, they are conscientious to take a quick shower to conserve the hot water, but with endless hot water, nothing is stopping.

BTW, I really think the driver's behavior is the key here. I and many other PP owners here get an overall average above EPA rated 3.94miles/kWh. I average ~5.2miles/kWh on my PP. That's precisely because I have a much shorter range than base Leaf.

#4 Salamander_King, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why tesla sells, and leafs don't, among other reasons

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EPA metrics:

upload_2022-7-8_19-18-56.png

hill likes this.
  7. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Leaf is certainly more affordable but definitely not more efficient than the Model 3 (EPA or real world). Have had our Model 3 for 3.5 years now and 6 years total of both generation Leafs. The Model 3 does markedly better on the same routes, same conditions, same driving behavior...

The Leaf is a great second vehicle. But the main advantage is cost - if you can get one without a hugh dealership markup.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also heard the tankless water heat advertisements claiming "efficient" and "endless". I want to respond that users must pick one, they can't have both. Of course, the advertisers won't listen to my clarifications, it conflicts with their message.

The reality is that attaching "very" and "super" to "energy-efficient tankless hot water heater" is misleading to the point of being fraud. These tankless heaters have an Energy Factor that cannot exceed 1.00. While really old electric or poorly installed storage tank water heaters might have an Energy Factor of 0.80, modern Energy Star units in typical household use will score 0.94 to 0.96. Tankless will beat them by only 4 to 6%, not very much.

On the other hand, today's best heat pump water heaters have Energy Factors of 3.45 to 4.00, absolutely crushing even the very theoretical best tankless unit:

https://neea.org/img/documents/residential-unitary-HPWH-qualified-products-list.pdf

iplug likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No argument there, if you compare under the same driving behavior. But apparently, in the sample of M3 and Leaf owners studied, the behaviors were not the same between the two groups. There are those who on the outside edge of the bell curve. But stat shows median real-life observed efficiency was higher among the Leaf group as shown in this original study.
    Your Tesla May Be More Efficient Than Its Driver

upload_2022-7-8_21-13-42.png

Well, our home have a "tankless" hot water heater. But it is not a modern tankless. It is the type that directly heats water by the oil boiler as a part of a central heating system. It is "super" inefficient. I don't know the actual spec of the boiler, but being a pre-1980 build, it is probably below 75%. The direct tankless water heater running by itself during the non-heating season must be even less efficient. Today's real tankless water heater with 99% efficiency would be "super" energy-efficient compared to ours.

But, again, those are just numbers on a spec sheet. The point is that even with high-efficiency water heaters, plenty of energy can be wasted if one is not being careful. Conversely, a huge energy-saving can be achieved even with low-efficiency water heaters if we stick to conservative use. We cut down at least 30% of the oil used for water heaters by conserving the hot water use.

#9 Salamander_King, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Right, it's just a clickbait, unscientific (non)study, without any serious methodology revealed - best to ignore.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you can ignore it if you want to. But I find it very intriguing that study results confirm my intuition that it is the human behavior that is more important in controlling the conservation effort rather than the efficiency of the machines being used. I for one would much rather buy a Leaf and save money upfront and be very frugal in its use to achieve more than the EPA-rated efficiency. But at the same time, the upgraded convenience features and comfort can be enticing. In any case, for me, performance is definitely not the one feature I look for in my car, so my first choice of a BEV would not be a Tesla even if I upgrade.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the Energy Star Water Heater ratings page, I'm seeing the very best gas tankless units have a Uniform Energy Factor (UEF) of 0.96, with a huge product selection of 0.94 and up. The very best gas storage units have UEF of 0.90, but with a much smaller selection, and by the end of the second page ratings are already down to 0.73.

The very best heat pump electrics have UEF of 4.02, with 3 pages of units at 3.75 or higher. Not many years ago, there were still electric resistance storage models on the Energy Star list, with UEFs at about 0.96. But it appears that heat pumps have matured so much that non-heat-pump electrics, both storage and tankless, have been expelled from Energy Star.

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link. It is off-topic but within my and others' interest in conservation effort and efficiency rating on a completely different type of machine than cars.

In any case, Energy Star does not even list an oil-fired hot water heater. I have to assume, non of oil hot water heater qualifies for an Energy Star. LOL. For our system, any of the systems listed would be "super" efficient.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm suspecting that oil-fired hot water heaters are such a small market segment that Energy Star didn't bother defining an efficiency goal for them. So no matter how efficient someone builds one, there is simply no oil-fuel efficiency rating scale on which to score it.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • Original Top Gear Prius
    • CleanMPG and hypermiling
    Whatever cranks your tractor.

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did find the section on the Energy Star that allows one to pick the Energy Star rated oil-boiler with integrated water heater capability. The highest efficiency is 91% for the oil boiler. It is not clear what efficiency rating if such measurement does exist applies to the hot water portion only when the boiler is used solely used for that purpose. BTW, I don't know the actual numbers, but I know of many houses in our area and probably in NE, that has this configuration of integrated hot water in the boiler for the central heating.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  17. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Oh so funny. Clarkson isn’t really a good tester and is a well known Prius hater and bmw lover. I suspect a twisted result

18. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those Nissan Leafs are outstanding. At their price point the Chevy Bolt and the Nissan Leaf are untouchable for the value they offer.

19. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It's obvious that the test was skewed to favor the BMW. It played to all the Prius Weaknesses and did not allow any of it's advantages to come into play.

For instance: They used a gen 1 Prius, which has a code in the ECU that runs the engine non stop for 5 minutes when it is a cold start. This is to reduce the pollution from a cold cat converter. The "test" was only 10 laps, and that means the engine never stopped running. It was running 100% ICE. If they made it 20 mile race or started with a warm engine, the results would have changed dramatically.

It was a bit ingenuous to have the BMW closely follow the Prius. They drafted the whole way and most likely never accelerated during the entire test.

And last, of course, is the assertion that the Gen 1 Prius was made for fuel economy when it was actually designed to minimize emissions. It was one of the first to get the SULEV (super ultra low emissions vehicle) designation.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Driving style matters. Here’s my EV6.

4.77mi/kWh for the first image and 5.34mi/kWh for the second. That’s approaching Prime territory despite weighing 500-600kg (1,100-1,300lbs) more and significantly larger/wider tyres.

50E48AE7-DB33-442C-9786-BF7CB1C84AD0.jpeg ED4A378C-697E-4B37-98EF-CE2DECC9BA00.jpeg