1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teslarati: Nissan Leaf more efficient than Model 3 on average

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Salamander_King, Jul 8, 2022.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wait - you mean not everyone does that?

PaulDM and Trollbait like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • Inflate to maximum sidewall pressure - the tires will run cooler, last longer, and more precise steering. However, the ride will be stiffer with more bumps felt.
    • Dynamic cruise control behind large trucks or trailers - assuming no loose debris and rocks, there are freight companies whose average speed, ~65 mph, will cover a lot of distance while somewhat reducing aerodynamic drag. There is a risk of damage to windshield from any gravel so watch for aggressive wandering onto shoulder by truck driver,
    Bob Wilson

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Finding the Leaf more efficient than Model 3 is like saying the VW dieselgate cars are more efficient than the Prius. There's a trade off.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    So what is the trade off that allowed the leaf to have better real life mileage?

BTW, in a related note, here in California (where there are a huge number of Teslas) it's illegal to actually do that 0-60 in 3 seconds under many circumstances. It falls under the "exhibition of speed" as noted at mklaw.com.

Exhibition of Speed is a crime related to Speed Contests under California Vehicle Code 23109. According to California Vehicle Code 23109(c), it is illegal for you to accelerate or drive at a rate of speed that is dangerous and unsafe in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think this from the OP article was posted already, "So what could have accounted for the Leaf group achieving such high levels of efficiency? Recurrent points to driver behavior as the driving factor. Nissan drivers must maximize the range that their vehicle is capable of, which is often a fairly limited total range. Recurrent says drivers are incentivized to drive more cautiously.

On the other hand, Tesla drivers may drive more “regularly”; using air conditioning, accelerating quickly, etc. Each of these factors drives down the efficiency of the Tesla vehicles.""

The trade off to getting better efficiency in the Leaf is that the driver was acutely aware they had a low driving range; under a 100 miles for the older Leafs. They likely were also aware of the slower charging times when they would have had to use a public charger.

They also gave up cabin climate control. They may have also driven in a manner impeding to traffic.

Of course, the Model 3 would have done better than the Leaf if hypermiled in the same way. It is just that the drivers don't feel that they have too in order to have a BEV be their daily driver.

drash and fuzzy1 like this.
  6. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Wow , I see a readable scale for KW/100KM for the EV6 , I guess the learned from the Prime useless scale always clipping in KW/100KM units.
    BTW do you have a heatpump on board, ....for our insidious Canadian winter:confused:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, right?!? An actually useful scale!

Yes it does (All long range models in Canada have a heat pump - only the base SR RWD does not).

Recycling More Heat: Hyundai and Kia Turn Up EV Efficiency with New Heat Pump Technology

Hyundai/Kia claims the Ioniq5/EV6 can do 80% of its range at -7°C as it can at 25°C. (The article above says 90% but that's with the old Ioniq which is a smaller and lighter car. The Ioniq5 and EV6 are larger. And also it's from 2020, before the unveiling of the Ioniq5 and EV6).

Louis19 likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    During the current heat wave, I've left my Model 3 in "dog mode" and walked through the parking lot. It costs about 1-1.5 kW to keep the air-conditioning running.

Many times I'm passing ICE cars running their engines to keep cabin air-conditioning on. It has been a while since I've seen a Leaf. Prius are more common.

Bob Wilson