1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla's performance Model 3 delivers 3.5 second 0-60 for $78,000

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Tideland Prius, May 20, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla's performance Model 3 delivers 3.5 second 0-60 for $78,000 - Autoblog

Also:

Elon Musk tweet-announces a $78,000 performance Model 3 with all-wheel drive – Ars Technica

Elon Musk announces Tesla Model 3 AWD, performance Model 3 specs

Tesla unveils faster and more powerful Model 3 dual motor AWD and Performance versions | Electrek

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor And Performance Versions Revealed

#1 Tideland Prius, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Dumb question here...but what is the 'average' price being paid on a Model 3? I've read that it is 'around 50,000' or so...but have not really found much solid data on it.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dumber question; where does one take advantage of 0-60 in 3 seconds, bonneville?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At one of those that have traffic lights on onramps to alternate traffic

Ramp meter - Wikipedia

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what do the prius drivers do?

HPrimeAdvanced and padroo like this.
  6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $49,000 is the minimum price anyone has paid so far. So ya, generally a little bit more than that with a few small options. That will soon be going up as AWD and Performance options become available.

7. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yikes..ok. So it actually is true then and is why it is out of my price range at the moment. Seems like a 'bait and switch' type scenario...doesn't it? Or am I missing something. I did read that Tesla is 'prioritizing' the higher priced preorders? If so, seems a bit shady...but ok. :whistle:

Lucifer likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    dual lane freeway on-ramps - the heavy traffic/metered red/green light kind. They just beg drivers to see who gets into the gridlock 1st.
    ooops
    great minds think alike.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, AWD is attractive. But, 3.5 second 0-60, I won't be able to drive that fast on my usual route on cow pasture. LOL

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The least expensive model 3 you can purchase right now is $49K plus add in the $1K delivery and doc fee and it comes to $50K. Subtract out the $7500 Fed. tax credit, $2500 California rebate, and 450 local utility rebate, it comes to about $39.5K here in California.

However, many buyers are purchasing all the options and that takes the price of current cars available to $60.5K (less credits and bates).

This Fall the base $35K (less credits and rebates of $10,450) will be available and the car will net at under $25K, at least to the end of 2018. In 2019 that base car will net at around $28K.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 0-60 time is spec'd at around 3.5 seconds. You will use it at on ramps, getting out of a potentially dangerous situation, and making a believer out of a Bummer owner.
    Clog traffic? That's what people accuse me of when I floorboard my Prius.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or passing power too. Midrange would be quicker (80-120km/h... 50-75mph).

If the Prius is too slow, it's clogging the left lane. If the Prius passes them, the Prius driver is not giving a crap about mpg.

So which is it? :ROFLMAO: I'd just ignore them.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Best used price has been in the mid-forties. Standby, because once you get a ton of them out there, and other junk gets added to newer releases, the early adapters will be abandoning ship & you know the rule .... supply & demand.
    ;)

HPrimeAdvanced and farmecologist like this.
  14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla is a company that needs to make money. When you build a factory new and need to pay for it why would they sell the lower margin vehicle when people are willing to pay for the more expensive one. Shady or not, it's just good business.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fast turnover is good for getting the word out and building up even greater demand. If they can knock out 200k cars a year for 20 years or so, they'll really start to make a dent!

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, not 'bait and switch.' You are missing something (but don't ask me what ;)). Elon said the $35K car would be available in 2019. He is ahead of schedule since the $35K will be available in Q4/2018. Since he received ~500K reservations for the model 3, he decided to rush a highly optioned car into production that started deliveries in July, 2017. If you want to be the first kid on your block to have a highly optioned model 3, then you can get one now. If you want the $35K base car, then you will have to wait another 3 months. Your choice, you get to decide.

Criticism of Tesla is fine, just make sure your criticism is based on facts, not innuendo and rumors.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All car manufacturers build and ship the loaded, and more expensive cars first. When the Highlander hybrid first came out, the only ones on my dealer's lot were Limiteds. There are people out there willing to pay more to be first to get it.

In addition to the scrutinity by the press to highlight how Model 3 sales are going, Tesla is also different from the others in that they are building cars to order and sell directly to the owner. The presence of a middleman(the dealer) means much of the process on how a new model roles out isn't seen by the public.

18. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Uhh....I'm not exactly sure what I said was 'criticizing'...just asking a question. (n) Remember not all of us are experts on everything Tesla. However, I've read many articles that basically state what I said. I even see quite a few recent threads on Tesla's own forums complaining about the lack of the 35K car. So it sure seems to me that there are folks that preordered and feel fleeced now and are, in fact, cancelling. In fact, there is also speculation in some circles that we might never see the fabled 35K car...although I certainly hope that isn't the case. The Model 3 *was* advertised heavily as a '35K car' and I'm pretty confident that a large number of preorders assumed that fact...and didn't assume they would get pushed to the back of the line.

Also, you say that Tesla is 'ahead of schedule'? Frankly, nearly every single source I've seen begs to differ so I'm not sure where that is coming from. They have missed targets since day 1.

My point is that there absolutely are valid criticisms of how Tesla is handling the model 3 situation...among other things. And it puzzles me why they are always just brushed off by many around here. You can't speak all good about something but push anything else off as innuendo and rumors.

#18 farmecologist, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Look at it like this- if Tesla had been anywhere near their promised production rates on schedule, they could have knocked out a batch of profitable high-trim cars early on, and with those orders settled they would have plenty of resources available to focus on the bulk of their delivery commitments. This drama that has been playing out over months would have been compressed into a week or two. Nobody would have had time to conjure a production profit strategy into something with fraudulent intent.

They're going to look like idiots for a while until it gets better, but I think they'll work it out.

I still question the value of a $35k target as anything other than a research milestone on the way to making a true mass-market car, but my doubts have zero impact on their abilities.

HPrimeAdvanced and Trollbait like this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And if you really really wanted to be in the 1st suv hybrid, you'd get it in the Lexus RX hybrid, even more costly, because it arrived even before the Highlander version. Same holds true with cell phones. $800 for the latest & greatest?!?

#20 hill, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018