1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla's performance Model 3 delivers 3.5 second 0-60 for $78,000

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Tideland Prius, May 20, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. that's why i think it is too different at this point. in the 6 years prime is in production, it will be interesting to see how they stack up against each other in world wide sales. i'm not making a prediction, i'm saying i don't know.
    but i'm glad we have both.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is interesting to see each month;)
    The margins of uncertainty will certainly go down as time goes by for ongoing demand.
    For initial demand though, I would suggest anything beyond the first three years quickly looses meaning.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, initial demand for the model 3 looks strong. but in my opinion, it is because it is something relatively different, whereas prime is just the updated pip, with a mix of improvements and disappointments.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, which supports the idea that the initial demand, or anticipation for the Model 3 was much larger than it was for the Prime.
    Thus bringing us back to the original question: when was the last time Toyota had a product as eagerly antipathetic by buyers? I would suggest it was not the Prime.

el Crucero likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, but that was not the initial question.:) altering it slightly is where the confusion begins.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That would definitely start things off the rails :eek:
    Let me see if I can find where we started misunderstanding each other...

el Crucero, please correct or clarify anything as I am paraphrasing some things.

Here, I believe el Crucero was asking the question, when has Toyota had a car as highly anticipated as the Model 3. True, that isn't what he wrote. But if you don't use that context, then you could consider the last Chevy Cruze as 'highly' anticipated because my nephew was really really looking forward to getting one.

Here, from further context it appears you are referring to the Prime.k

Here, el Crucero is trying to quantify the anticipation.

You correctly pointed out that it is difficult to compare the two, but then went on to state why the Prime demand is lower than the Model 3 demand.

Can you clarify for me what you thought the point was?

7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Come on @bisco, I've always respected you but you are losing all credibility in this thread. My question was rhetorical and the answer was obvious. It was obvious I was comparing any Toyota introduction to the model 3 introduction, which is never. You are parsing words without explanation for what purpose, certainly not to clear up any confusion.

Let me try to clear up any confusion you might have!

When was the last time Toyota had a vehicle introduction with ~500K reservations, qualified with a refundable $1000 deposit and people standing in line that stretched around the block,over night, in the rain in some cases and even more reserving over the Internet with a $1000 refundable deposit for a vehicle with an uncertain delivery date? The answer is obvious, NEVER! Does that clear up any and all confusion on your part?

#67 el Crucero, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and i you, but you're letting your rose colored glasses cloud your judgement. while i agree with much of what you believe, i do think there are many other good choices available. and i do believe the prime was highly anticipated.
    if i am supposed to reply to context instead of questions, i'll soon go off the tracks myself.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is a different question. yes, never. i'm not as impressed with reservations as you are, that's all. not a knock on tesla, or your enthusiasm.

10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Can we get back to talking about the Model 3 performance model? :whistle:

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure, no problem. what would you like to say about it?:)

i don't have much to offer besides my earlier comment. being a prius driver, performance doesn't impress me.
    i guess if it helps sell ev's that's a good thing. kinda like putting your baby's medicine in some ice cream.;)

12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wish I could be as enthusiastic about Toyota as I once was. :(

Regarding the new model 3 Performance AWD BEV, it is a vehicle designed to appeal to a younger crowd. It will be a terror in the quarter mile in its class. Speculation is that it will have upgraded brakes, tuned suspension, and battery cooling which will make it competitive on the track competing against Porsche, BMW, and the like. It will have tons of profit built into it and I predict it will sell surprisingly well.

#72 el Crucero, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i have long grown out of speed and performance. the future belongs to those who need incentives to save the earth.(y)

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Future? The past and present sure do, I doubt the future will as much, but undoubtedly it will as well.
    There is not one person posting in this forum that doesn’t require some incentives to ‘save the earth’.

It is quite true though, that the less perceived sacrifice the more popular the product.

The AWD will do very well. I know there are some waiting for AWD without the performance.
    However, for those that can afford it, the performance Model should do at least as well as similar cars in that class.

el Crucero likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't doubt it. i did purchase my first prius in 2004 with the only incentive being the hope of less pollution.
    i'm sure that's not enough for most people.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased my 2006 for the same reason.
    However, I could have reduced carbon and pollution more. I wasn’t willing to make the sacrifices necessary.
    So part of this really relies on what you mean by “incentives”.

I was incentivized to buy a Prius for comfort and ease of use and lower fuel prices.
    I was disincentivized from buying a bike due to length of commute, safety (very few bike trails on the way to work) and blizzards :eek::)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it depends on what the definition of is is.:p

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I purchased my first "environmentally friendly" vehicle to reduce emissions, a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. I then started purchasing more energy efficient appliances, stopped using the dishwasher and dryer, and the rest is history - energy efficient house, solar panels, drought tolerant landscaping, plug-in car, and now a BEV. I can and will do more, right down to the "final arrangements."

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That isn’t helpful.
    Could you kindly tell me what you mean by “incentive”?
    Strictly government rebates?
    Benefits the car has?
    Benefits to society?

I personally am incentivized by the second two more than the first. But everyone is different.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was thinking the 'performance' incentive, from the thread title. and it was in response to el crucero's post above mine. at my age, i don't need the performance incentive to drive ev. i'm quite happy just keeping up with traffic, staying to the right and obeying the rules of the road.

Zythryn likes this.