1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla's Supercharger just changed EVERYTHING!

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by efusco, Sep 25, 2012.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Solarcharging the grid 24/7, Model S owners (with 85kWh packs) charge for free, and the superchargers will blanket the country in the next 4 years and cover the major interstate and highway systems in the next 2 years. Charge 50% in 30 min, 80% in 45 min. Zero Emissions.

Near me on the 2 year plan will include St.Louis, Kansas City, Tulsa (or OKC, hard to tell on the map), Memphis and Little Rock, all the major cities within the driving radius of Springfield/Nixa where I live.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Where are the locations on the two year plan. I only saw california on the link. If they cover I10 and I35 I am more likely to buy an S.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree that it's exciting (if they are able to pull it off) I've yet to see 24/7 solar panels ;-)

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Most Tesla owners are going to charge at home at night, when the grid is not stressed. Plug-in owners can choose renewables or use regular grid power. This network is for long trips. In some areas it may stress the grid, but since the cars will be added slowly utilities will have plenty of time to adapt.

The Solar is added to the grid during the day, when it will help balance higher demand. Tesla will provide more solar energy over the year, than the cars consume.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I figured, just wanted to poke fun at the wording in efusco's post :p

austingreen likes this.
  7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [email protected] likes this.
  8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not optimistic about this roll-out happening on that timeline, but hopefully I'm wrong (honest!).

Still, no love for Western NY :(

From the article:"Others will follow. Solar energy will ensure that Tesla vehicles using the network will run on renewable energy, and it will reduce ongoing operation costs."

I need not even bother with any math to see in that pic that those four cars would vastly out-drain anything that little solar array could possibly do, so these charge stations are absolutely going to be relying heavily upon the grid, that is unless they are generally next to a football field worth of panels.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Time will tell. In an ideal work franken plug or something else will be approved soon, and the tesla chargers work with tesla and the SAE standard. They could charge for the non-teslas.

I think I tried clarifying this before. Tesla is going to build more solar than the chargers use. This means over a year period more energy will go into the grid from teslas solar than comes out of the grid to charge cars. While the cars are charging though more power will come from the grid than the solar provides. For areas with lots of ocgt or ccgt like california and Texas this will actually help the grid. In places like indiana where coal dominates this is a bad strategy, but I don't expect many will be quick charging in indiana.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are they building them off site in solar fields in the middle of nowhere, or trying to put enough solar in close proximity to the charge ports themselves to net-produce? The latter seems far more difficult.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the solar is physically close to the quick chargers, but I am not sure. There is some solar on the quick charger structure.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just want to point out that as more solar panels are added, the cost of the charging station would increase.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the radius of the circles in those maps, maybe 500 miles?

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes if more tesla's are being charged it will be more expensive, but then tesla is likely selling more cars. Since most charges will be done at home, this should be a very small cost, rack it up to tesla marketing.
    A quick charge is about 150 miles of range. The charger network will be close than that.